Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Desire and putting in extra work on the training ground. My point is *Morgan can improve his overall game but my doubts are as much on his motivation. IF would be the correct word not WHEN as like many Charlton players they go from the sublime to the ridiculous: Sarr and Famewo in the past spring to mind. 

I'm disappointed in Albie's progress considering an early game in the championship where he passed and linked well with the better player around him that day: Cullen, Bielik, Williams etc.

I listened to Walker on radio five live last night and it was a great insight into the fact that not only are City the most skilled team along with Liverpool but the training is so intense and you are not allowed a bad training  session. The only poor trainer at Man City was Aguero who came alive on match days and that's why they have built a statue in his honour.

I know Man city play on a different planet but every team including Cafc and the step 4 and 5 teams and the many youth academy matches I watch have to continue to strive as you are only as good as your last match  in this social media society.

Maybe not friendly guys like Chris,Nigel or Johnnie next but a manager that cajoles but keeps some distant from the players on a social level and let  the bonding which is a vital component of team sport be taken by the Coaches.

* Every player at Charlton should strive to improve for Cafc sake and their own careers sake.
  • edited May 2022
    If we were fishing in the pond that had Warburton or Dyche in it, fair enough. But the pond we are fishing in is full of gambles. So it is surely a case of bringing in an intelligent man, who is well respected and liked by his players and who has a clear plan. Oh, I think we just sacked one of those. Still, it shouldn't be too hard to find another and then it is a case of hoping it works out. That is the reality in our pond.

I'm not against Taylor, I'm not against Ferguson, I'm not against Euell or a few others. These are all gambles that could very well pay off if supported which is probably the biggest factor of them all. Get the man in, implement the plan and hope. But do it quickly so conversations can start with targets and we all know where we are going.

It amazes me how trying to be clever and taking an age with a complicated process will give us the desired results when it has never delivered results for us in our whole history!
  • matt88 said:
    TEL said:
    I’m not sure anyone mentioned so far will agree to work within the constraints of the current player recruitment set-up.
    Not sure if I heard right but during that hour long Exeter City interview, I'm sure he mentioned some bloke was responsible for the recruiting. Maybe it's more commonplace than we realise. 
    But it was probably someone that knew what they were doing, not someone that was a production and supply chain manager up until a year ago…
    It’s nothing to do with having a great depth of knowledge about football. It’s being able to look at the data that comes out of the programme and pass that on. I really don’t see why people think it’s a football expert that’s required.
    Totally agree with your point but pass on to who at this present time? 

If we sign players before we appoint a manger we can see an anomaly with this.  Ok SG and TS are part of the recruitment team but at this moment there is only one person with pro background. We are informed, with the emphasis on negotiation taking up his time.

Lets hope we get a manager on board and things start fitting in to place.

• DA9 said:
    We will hire who ever is left on the self in late August. 
    That’s the spirit!
    Watford and Fleetwood have hired already . The rest with managers are signing players and we are tracing last years disaster when we had a manager who apparently was bi passed on some signings of which , somewere late anyway . We then scrabbled around in September.  The answer was Soarè.
    When I pointed out in mid June our recruitment was slow and  not in line with smashing the league I was rounded on by all. Now everyone  agrees last summer was piss poor. 
    That is why I say thar, history  doesn't exactly point to anything else does it , with Tommy.
    Why he just doesn't  do his badges and have done with it. 
    3 managers in 20 months isn't  goi g to attract a high flyer does it.
    I hope I am wrong. 
    I don’t think you were ‘rounded on’ for saying that. Lots of people were saying the same.
  • edited May 2022
    Jacko 4/6 favourite for the Wimbledon job.

Not sure if this is insider information or just someone having £50 on JJ getting the job.

Some dude said JJ had terrible results when picking the team ? But his record in his two spells when picking the team was 17 wins and 13 losses and League 2 will be a great place for JJ to prove 3-5-2 can be successful but maybe try to make the simple switch to 5-3-2 for game management purposes and have natural wing backs on at least one side if not both !

I'm convinced JJ will have success but obviously he made some mistakes in his 30 League games in charge. 

but he also improved 3 of the success stories this season:
    Dobson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, and Clare who found another position he can perform in.

We need players and a manager that can hit the ground running and the last day of the August window just won't work with incoming players. We scored our first goal from open play in our last game of August.

Can we stop ground hog day.

• Swisdom said:
    Funny how lots are getting in a mess because Watford have hired a guy already and people are underwhelmed with Taylor.  Watford are serial manager hirers and firers so would be expected to act swiftly

Yet the difference between Forest Green and Exeter was 7 goals of goal difference
    Perhaps it’s because Edwards only managed Forest Green for a season - he’s a promising young manager.

Taylor has been at Exeter for 4 years, he’s far too old now.
  • Sponsored links:

• no rumours then?

getting concerned
    Yes, Taylor.
  • Jacko 4/6 favourite for the Wimbledon job.

Not sure if this is insider information or just someone having £50 on JJ getting the job.

Some dude said JJ had terrible results when picking the team ? But his record in his two spells when picking the team was 17 wins and 13 losses and League 2 will be a great place for JJ to prove 3-5-2 can be successful but maybe try to make the simple switch to 5-3-2 for game management purposes and have natural wing backs on at least one side if not both !

I'm convinced JJ will have success but obviously he made some mistakes in his 30 League games in charge. 

Dobson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, and Clare who found another position he can perform in.

We need players and a manager that can hit the ground running and the last day of the August window just won't work with incoming players. We scored our first goal from open play in our last game of August.

Do we really know he improved them? We know he put faith in them, which of course would help their confidence. Bowyer was always claiming to have improved players, and it put me off him if anything. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Funny how lots are getting in a mess because Watford have hired a guy already and people are underwhelmed with Taylor.  Watford are serial manager hirers and firers so would be expected to act swiftly

Yet the difference between Forest Green and Exeter was 7 goals of goal difference
    Watford are serial manager hires. This will be Sandgaard’s fourth manager. 
  • no rumours then?

getting concerned
    🍺...Chill...
    I would think it is all sorted, and they are just having a laugh watching everyone panic..have a cool beer and enjoy the sun!!..😎🍻
  • no rumours then?

getting concerned
     Still sifting through the applications.

Gone are the days when the club interviewed a hundred and fifty applicants over a weekend and had the cream of Belgian football management in place by the Monday.
  • Slavan Bilic

Pros

Managed in England and internationally at a high level, available, plays rhythm guitar in a rock band, fresh pair of eyes

Cons

Might see league one as too much of a step down/pay cut, does "know the club" or league one.

Discuss
  • matt88 said:
    TEL said:
    I’m not sure anyone mentioned so far will agree to work within the constraints of the current player recruitment set-up.
    Not sure if I heard right but during that hour long Exeter City interview, I'm sure he mentioned some bloke was responsible for the recruiting. Maybe it's more commonplace than we realise. 
    But it was probably someone that knew what they were doing, not someone that was a production and supply chain manager up until a year ago…
    It’s nothing to do with having a great depth of knowledge about football. It’s being able to look at the data that comes out of the programme and pass that on. I really don’t see why people think it’s a football expert that’s required.
    If that's what he is doing why is he going to watch games to scout players?

If your version is right no one would have a problem with it.  That's very different to what Thomas is saying in public, even if you give zero credence to the gossip and innuendo. 
  • Slavan Bilic

Pros

Managed in England and internationally at a high level, available, plays rhythm guitar in a rock band, fresh pair of eyes

Cons

Might see league one as too much of a step down/pay cut, does "know the club" or league one.

Discuss
    Football manager capability is not the issue with him though.

How good is he at playing guitar, will Thomas accept being pushed down to a supporting act to the headline act 🎵 SLAVAN 🎸
  • sholland said:
    Slavan Bilic

Pros

Cons

Discuss
    Football manager capability is not the issue with him though.

How good is he at playing guitar, will Thomas accept being pushed down to a supporting act to the headline act 🎵 SLAVAN 🎸
    He can piss off,never forgive him for getting Laurent Blanc sent off in the world cup thereby depriving a fine player of a world cup winners medal.
  • Just add this

Sources close to #mufc’s dressing room label the standard of coaching as “well below” that of Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna. The 4-0 loss to Brighton was no surprise considering the build-up to the match consisted of underwhelming sessions #mulive [@lauriewhitwell]

• Sponsored links:

• Slavan Bilic

Pros

Cons

Discuss
    Being half 🇭🇷 I would love it, but that is heart ruling head. Much depends on whether TS wants a manager (inclusive of full management autonomy) or a coach (with a list of requirements to meet eg formation preference, style preference etc etc). I don’t think the latter would compliment any manager with pedigree tbh. On balance a ‘no’ from me.
  • Slavan Bilic

Pros

Cons

Discuss
    TS plays guitar but with little sense of rhythm - so clearly unrealistic.
  • edited May 2022
    Just wondering how many managers we’ve interviewed for the gig so far, & will they be done in person , or on zoom?

Also wonder if any of them have turned us down due to money / not having as much control over footballing stuff as they’d like, at what point do we start to get a bit concerned and how long should this process take?
  • Swisdom said:

Watford are serial manager hires. This will be Sandgaard’s fourth manager. 
    Serial enough as he hasn't  been here 2 years yet.
    Exactly my point 
  • Slavan Bilic

Pros

Cons

Discuss
    Would quite like Jurgen Klopp too... come on now
  • I’ve read that Matt Taylor is scheduled to be doing some punditry for the League Two play off tomorrow. Swindon v Port Vale, midday kick off.
  • I’ve read that Matt Taylor is scheduled to be doing some punditry for the League Two play off tomorrow. Swindon v Port Vale, midday kick off.
    Let's hope Johnny impresses him :smiley:
  • Jacko 4/6 favourite for the Wimbledon job.

Please... stop... saying Clare was a great centre back. He was responsible for loads of conceded goals. He looked flashy taking the ball out of defence under zero pressure. That doesn't make him a great defender.

Thank you.
    Clare had a wonderful season and made that position his own lost count of last ditch tackles and blocks he made … he deserved to be rewarded in the POTY vote 
    I.....er......agree with you.