Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would like Michael Carrick.
    I’ve read a few articles of him being highly regarded as a coach. Wouldn’t mind him.
    He's a name young players would be keen to play for. Would help massively in the loan market.
    Knows the area as well :wink:
  • Options
    Why has this thread turned into a conversation around women’s football? I really don’t want to, nor do I expect to have to, read about it when trying to read the latest conversation around who the next Charlton manager may or may not be. 
    It’s turned into a women’s football thread because Emma Hayes was mentioned as a legitimate candidate (she has actually been linked with the QPR job) but she was quickly dismissed in case she couldn’t keep out of the men’s showers according to some idiots on here. But let’s all get back to pretending Neil Lennon could be a serious candidate after his successful Bolton spell. 
    It was also said that the Chelsea womens job is 'bigger' than the mens Charlton job, which is mental.
    I think the correct term is ‘attention seeking’ 
    Not really Stu, think you've got me confused with one of the professional trolls on here. It's my opinion on where we are as a club at the moment, there is no way it would be if we were a half decent Championship club, instead of one slumming it in the wrong half of League 1, where we are not even a story on the fifth page of the sports pages. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Thomas has "about half a dozen" candidates that he is now narrowing down. 
    Who do we reckon then, presumably if he says 'candidates' these are individuals who have applied and been interviewed?

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    *Rant about poor planning, the impact on next season and a wild assumption that we won’t appoint someone until mid June*
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Who do we reckon then, presumably if he says 'candidates' these are individuals who have applied and been interviewed?

To be honest, names have been kept highly confidential (rightfully so.) You'd assume Beale and Taylor are 2 of them. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    So…
    Taylor
    Warburton
    Beale 
    Lennon
    Carrick
    Emma Hayes 

That the half dozen? 
  • Options
    If I was to guess - Beale , Taylor, Carrick and a couple of surprise options , maybe Appleton? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's really no excuse for this dragging on past Friday at the latest.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:

To be honest, names have been kept highly confidential (rightfully so.) You'd assume Beale and Taylor are 2 of them. 
    I feel the only one I am confident would have directly applied for the role, out of the common names we hear, are Taylor and perhaps Warburton.

I can imagine conversation were perhaps sort with Beale* and maybe even Carrick. But otherwise I am clueless as to who else may be actively shortlisted after applying for the role.

*I feel like Beale wouldn't apply for the role, and would need to be convinced to leave his current role. If he had been done, I could imagine he would have been announced by now.
  • Options
    Clock is ticking, Euell and co must be putting pre season plans together, surely new manager will want to have a say. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Beale
    Bonner
    Carrick
    Fowler
    Taylor
    Hayes E
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Chelsea's women team manager is a bigger job then ours 
    People can laugh all they want on here but it’s true. 
    How do you define bigger then?
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    It's lower profile, isn't it? Compare the gates at The Valley and attendances at ordinary Chelsea Women's matches.

Infrastructure I wouldn't know about, but ours isn't bad, and set to improve.

Pay? How do you know?

Her ambitions about the Women's Champions League and competing with Barcelona, are not comparable with playing in the men's the Champions League and competing with Barcelona.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of women's football, but I don't think it's yet reached the stage where Chelsea's women's team is a bigger deal than Charlton.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Beale
    Bonner
    Carrick
    Fowler
    Taylor
    Hayes E
    JFH is a name that isn't going away.
  • Options
    Sky Sport are desperately trying to promote the woman's game……I think they’ll find the results somewhat disappointing and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them scale down considerably in the not too distant future.
    I love the fact that women are now playing football to a much higher standard and long may they do so.
    I have genuinely tried to get more interested but I find the standard way below what the man’s game has to offer.
    Therefore, sad to say, I have no time for it as there is so much male professional football on offer via TV and the media…etc.
    Patience, Sam.
  • Options
    There's really no excuse for this dragging on past Friday at the latest.
    How is it “dragging on “ ? A deal with whoever is only done when it’s done. I doubt anyone is dragging anything out. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Chelsea's women team manager is a bigger job then ours 
    People can laugh all they want on here but it’s true. 
    How do you define bigger then?
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    It's lower profile, isn't it? Compare the gates at The Valley and attendances at ordinary Chelsea Women's matches.

Infrastructure I wouldn't know about, but ours isn't bad, and set to improve.

Pay? How do you know?

Her ambitions about the Women's Champions League and competing with Barcelona, are not comparable with playing in the men's the Champions League and competing with Barcelona.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of women's football, but I don't think it's yet reached the stage where Chelsea's women's team is a bigger deal than Charlton.
    Profile wise I reckon Hayes would be better know by the general public then any League 1 manager, WSL games on terrestrial free to air and her profile generally is huge. Infrastructure wise, Thomas has plans for SL but it isn’t Cobham, and money wise I’m taking a guess, but I don’t think she’s on bad money at Chelsea, suspect she’s one of the highest earning women in team sport in Europe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonas Eidevall anyone?
  • Options
    If Hayes is the best candidate then fine but purely because she’s a woman it’s a massive gamble. No reason why that should be the case but if it went tits up the potential for egg on face and I told you so’s would be enormous.
  • Options
    Ollie gunnar Solskjaer:

18 months without losing in the Premier away from home and he loses at Leicester and he can't set up a team. 

Solskjaer is spending more time with his money and would Michael Carrick be interested in the job at Cafc after doing a decent job with the giant egos at old Trafford.
    Carrick and Rooney both in the 3rd tier next season ?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonas Eidevall anyone?
    Freddie Lungberg if we're talking Arsenal coaches
  • Options
    I would far rather he went through a thorough process than just went on a name. There are some really excellent and exciting young coaches/managers around and it’ll be worth the extra week/ten days to get the right one. 

If it is Beale that they have their eye on and there is a chance, I can imagine he’d want to wait until after the Man City game next weekend.

The right appointment is worth waiting for.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Clock is ticking, Euell and co must be putting pre season plans together, surely new manager will want to have a say. 
    If it’s Beale most likey be waiting at least another 2 weeks 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I know MW's not coming here, but spoke to a QPR fan today who mentioned they had been blighted with injuries, played their 5th choice keeper, just missed out on the playoffs ( bit gutted) but their form in the last 10 - 12 games was relegation form , they were in the top 6.

Shipped loads of goals from set pieces, were big on a Zonal defence  ( which didn't work) had a lot of players under 25 , linked with Manning (thats us out then) Charlie Austin is leaving QPR apparently , as he's not played much.

Don't shoot the messenger!