Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    sol Campbell favourite for QPR job - thst would be a nightmare come true for us and there must be a lot of Les Ferdinand influencing that if it happens!

lump on qpr to get relegated if that happens
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Mark Bowen announced as "Head of Football Operations" at reading. 
    Paul Ince been named permanent Manager there too
  • Options
    Check out Ron Swanson getting all above his station -

• Options
    I’d rather Warburton or Beale to Taylor. But I’m not entirely sure why. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    i have to say if was to be Beale the big delay would make sense, i find it hard to believe TE didn’t have someone lined up ready to come right in , so it kinda make sense if Villa have said he can’t leave until the end of the season
    It’s not such a big delay really - it’s only been 2 weeks and at the end of the season. 
  • Options
    Caught up over the last 6 pages just now, and that has surely got to be a record of Curbs not even getting mentioned once in that time as a serious option. Only took 15 years
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Mark Bowen announced as "Head of Football Operations" at reading. 
    Paul Ince been named permanent Manager there too
    Every club in the manager market who gives their job to someone who we would not want us to be after in a million years is good news!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If I owned the club, the first place I would look for a manager would be within the club. Obviously I would look for certain qualities and a level of intelligence but then appoint somebody on a contract much like Jackos where if they are not a success, I can try another. I think it is the way to find a Curbs and a Bowyer and indeed a Powell, even though he wasn't at the club. 

Where I think TS has gone wrong is by jumping the gun. Jacko hadn't succeeded but I think it is fair to say he hadn't failed either. Or maybe Powell should have been sacked before our title winning season? Surely TS could have given Jacko the option of a new contract with a new get out clause rather than firing him.

The fact is, he could well appoint a manager who will be a success, but it could well also be he doesn't. And if that is the case, it could be expensive and difficult to make a timely change. It is why I think Euell should be our next manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I owned the club, the first place I would look for a manager would be within the club. Obviously I would look for certain qualities and a level of intelligence but then appoint somebody on a contract much like Jackos where if they are not a success, I can try another. I think it is the way to find a Curbs and a Bowyer and indeed a Powell, even though he wasn't at the club. 

Where I think TS has gone wrong is by jumping the gun. Jacko hadn't succeeded but I think it is fair to say he hadn't failed either. Or maybe Powell should have been sacked before our title winning season? Surely TS could have given Jacko the option of a new contract with a new get out clause rather than firing him.

The fact is, he could well appoint a manager who will be a success, but it could well also be he doesn't. And if that is the case, it could be expensive and difficult to make a timely change. It is why I think Euell should be our next manager.
    Promotion from within is great when the club isn't broken.  It is. 

Rember neither Bowyer nor Curbs were some brilliant piece of tactical planning.  They were cheap/easy because the club couldn't afford in the latter, or be bothered in the former to get anyone else. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Promotion from within is great when the club isn't broken.  It is. 

Rember neither Bowyer nor Curbs were some brilliant piece of tactical planning.  They were cheap/easy because the club couldn't afford in the latter, or be bothered in the former to get anyone else. 
    Exactly. By luck we hit on the formula. The proven managers are not in the pond we are fishing in.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedRobin said:
    Clock is ticking, Euell and co must be putting pre season plans together, surely new manager will want to have a say. 
    If it’s Beale most likey be waiting at least another 2 weeks 
    Why? If we're paying his buy out clause it would be immediately.
    He might want to see out the season. 
    Don't see why, they're not going anywhere and surely he'd want as much time as possible in the new role to maximize the time before pre season.
  • Options

Was you enjoying the management style of JJ? And did you see a repeat of what happened after sticking with Powell? Also wouldn’t Euell being next manager just feel like a continuation of the last two. Personally although it may not work, which is something none of us know, I think someone completely fresh is a good move, if risky. Feels like we are stuck in a rut of hoping we get another club legend being a success. I think the right decision has been made, but the next decision is far more important.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:

Was you enjoying the management style of JJ? And did you see a repeat of what happened after sticking with Powell? Also wouldn’t Euell being next manager just feel like a continuation of the last two. Personally although it may not work, which is something none of us know, I think someone completely fresh is a good move, if risky. Feels like we are stuck in a rut of hoping we get another club legend being a success. I think the right decision has been made, but the next decision is far more important.
    Ideally, we should have allowed Jacko to fail before he was sacked. Then if the season starts and he fails, we change whilst we still can and save the season. The path we have taken means this won't be an option and we could sleepwalk into a season like last. It could work, don't get me wrong, but so could Jacko work and he would have given us an easier plan B if he didn't.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:

Ideally, we should have allowed Jacko to fail before he was sacked. Then if the season starts and he fails, we change whilst we still can and save the season. The path we have taken means this won't be an option and we could sleepwalk into a season like last. It could work, don't get me wrong, but so could Jacko work and he would have given us an easier plan B if he didn't.

Hypothetically, if we did that and the start of next season mirrored last season when would you sack him?  After MK Dons? Wigan? Wycombe? Bolton?  Do you think if we sacked Adkins at any of those points we would have still saved our season?
  • Options
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    I really, really don’t. Highly doubt Curbs would be up for it if asked, thankfully. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:

I don’t think a better style of play could have been achieved with the squad he had available. Powells 2011 was far worse than Jackson’s 2022. I didn’t think he was on the verge of doing a Powell, but I also don’t think he would have done any worse than most of the names that have been mentioned. 
    Didn’t agree with the sacking, but think I will judge it again when our new manager is announced. If it is Warburton or Beale then I’ll probably change my mind and think it could be the right decision
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    Why ….. been out the game far to long 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    paulfox said:

I don’t think a better style of play could have been achieved with the squad he had available. Powells 2011 was far worse than Jackson’s 2022. I didn’t think he was on the verge of doing a Powell, but I also don’t think he would have done any worse than most of the names that have been mentioned. 
    Didn’t agree with the sacking, but think I will judge it again when our new manager is announced. If it is Warburton or Beale then I’ll probably change my mind and think it could be the right decision
    But we had natural wingers in the squad but yet insisted on playing a system that didnt suit and it showed...we were poor and lost some winnable games. 

Not saying the players are innocent in this...there were some performances from players that were truly shocking. 

Someone with fresh ideas needs to come in and put there mark on things...or at least have a plan b!! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:

Hypothetically, if we did that and the start of next season mirrored last season when would you sack him?  After MK Dons? Wigan? Wycombe? Bolton?  Do you think if we sacked Adkins at any of those points we would have still saved our season?
    I think if we sacked Bowyer earlier, because he had lost the dressing room rightly and wrongly, we would have made the play offs. If we had sacked Adkins earlier, possibly not as the deficiencies were in the squad. I am assuming we have a better squad starting next season. I would like a manager to be working on that now with his team.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones might be available now...
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    Our fanbase's obsession with the past is so odd 
    Bringing Curbs 16/1 back, is one of a couple of weird ideas that seems to fester among Charlton
  • Options
    Caught up over the last 6 pages just now, and that has surely got to be a record of Curbs not even getting mentioned once in that time as a serious option. Only took 15 years

Well it only took til the next page