Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
     Done deal! We are proud to welcome Hope Powell to The Valley! The ex-England manager joins us from 
    @BHAFCWomen on a permanent deal. #cafc | http://cafc.co.uk
  • Options
    Caught up over the last 6 pages just now, and that has surely got to be a record of Curbs not even getting mentioned once in that time as a serious option. Only took 15 years

Well it only took til the next page
    well ive been on holiday
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Another factor is will TS be giving out more these performance based contracts? 

Not sure Beale would be happy to leave Villa if he gets very little compensation should we not make the play-offs. 

It’s one thing to require the new manager to change the entire playing philosophy, which usually takes years, it’s another thing to expect immediate results.   
    I think the contract Jackson got was because Thomas didn't want him in the first place and had already written off the season.  If we had just missed out on the play offs he probably thought it would be worth sticking with him.
    Potentially, but Thomas spoke a lot about how much it cost him to sack Nigel. I don’t think he wants to incur that sort of cost again.

I’d be shocked if he didn’t follow the same sort of pattern with his next appointment, albeit less harsh deliverables. 
    TS:  we’d like to offer you a job as our manager.  Pay and benefits are subject to and in direct proportion to your performance with the players I select, with the help of my son, who knows 10x more about football than your average sky viewer.  I will have the right to sack you at any time, by fax, phone, e-mail or carrier pigeon, and you must play a high press, low block because I heard half that expression once and made the other half up and it sounds good.

literally anyone: no thanks
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Chelsea's women team manager is a bigger job then ours 
    People can laugh all they want on here but it’s true. 
    How do you define bigger then?
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    It's lower profile, isn't it? Compare the gates at The Valley and attendances at ordinary Chelsea Women's matches.

Infrastructure I wouldn't know about, but ours isn't bad, and set to improve.

Pay? How do you know?

Her ambitions about the Women's Champions League and competing with Barcelona, are not comparable with playing in the men's the Champions League and competing with Barcelona.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of women's football, but I don't think it's yet reached the stage where Chelsea's women's team is a bigger deal than Charlton.
    Unfortunately, no one has told the BBC that, and they appear to truly believe that the woman's Premier League is second only to the mens.  I am amazed that people are proposing a female manager. An it’s not about sexism, it’s easy to see on the internet, that the USA World Cup winning side, play some college boys teams of under 17 age group. They have never won one of those games…. 

Would we be happy to see an under 17 Manager of any sex,  at any level, given the First Team coach role at Charlton… ? 
    You seem to be confusing the relative skill levels of male and female players playing against each other. What’s that got to do with management skills. Maybe if Emma Hayes managed the under 17’s team against the USA womens team they would have won by even more. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    Our fanbase's obsession with the past is so odd 
    It would all go tits up and everyone’s perception of Curb’s would change. No. More. Club. Legends
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Croydon said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    It would all go tits up and everyone’s perception of Curb’s would change. No. More. Club. Legends
    what about Bowyer then?
  • Options
    Bearing in mind Curbs already works for the club on the tv channel and has seen most of our games last season.  I do think TS would be mad not to have a chat with him about footballing matters at the club and get his views. Might be worth considering involving him  if willing in the interview process. For I know that might already be happening or Curbs might prefer not to get involved with any of it.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    paulfox said:
    If I owned the club, the first place I would look for a manager would be within the club. Obviously I would look for certain qualities and a level of intelligence but then appoint somebody on a contract much like Jackos where if they are not a success, I can try another. I think it is the way to find a Curbs and a Bowyer and indeed a Powell, even though he wasn't at the club. 

Where I think TS has gone wrong is by jumping the gun. Jacko hadn't succeeded but I think it is fair to say he hadn't failed either. Or maybe Powell should have been sacked before our title winning season? Surely TS could have given Jacko the option of a new contract with a new get out clause rather than firing him.

The fact is, he could well appoint a manager who will be a success, but it could well also be he doesn't. And if that is the case, it could be expensive and difficult to make a timely change. It is why I think Euell should be our next manager.
    Was you enjoying the management style of JJ? And did you see a repeat of what happened after sticking with Powell? Also wouldn’t Euell being next manager just feel like a continuation of the last two. Personally although it may not work, which is something none of us know, I think someone completely fresh is a good move, if risky. Feels like we are stuck in a rut of hoping we get another club legend being a success. I think the right decision has been made, but the next decision is far more important.
    I don’t think a better style of play could have been achieved with the squad he had available. Powells 2011 was far worse than Jackson’s 2022. I didn’t think he was on the verge of doing a Powell, but I also don’t think he would have done any worse than most of the names that have been mentioned. 
    Didn’t agree with the sacking, but think I will judge it again when our new manager is announced. If it is Warburton or Beale then I’ll probably change my mind and think it could be the right decision
    But we had natural wingers in the squad but yet insisted on playing a system that didnt suit and it showed...we were poor and lost some winnable games. 

Not saying the players are innocent in this...there were some performances from players that were truly shocking. 

Someone with fresh ideas needs to come in and put there mark on things...or at least have a plan b!! 
    What is the obsession with having a plan B. Most successful teams have a plan A and that’s it. If you look at the teams at the top of league 1 and other leagues they usually just have one formation (and in the EFL it seems to be 3-5-2!) Jackson just needed the players for his plan A. JFC and Fraser never being fully fit makes it really hard to play “good football” as none of the rest of the team can pass a football. If he was given the summer he could have got some proper outside centre backs and wing backs for the system and I think we would have looked a completely different team, and the results weren’t even that bad with what he had to work with before. 

Also not sure what other formation we could have played. A lot of the time Inniss and Lavelle were unavailable so a back 4 would be pretty impossible unless you used Pearce, Gunter or Clare as a RCB in a back 4 where we’d have likely conceded 2+ every game. 4-3-3 was probably the only real option but Stockley and Washington work best as a 2. And a 4-4-2 we would get ruined defensively as Dobson would be left even more on his own than usual. So 3-5-2 was probably the best we could do. Don’t think changing the formation would have made us any better, in fact it probably would have returned us to the issues Adkins had with 4 at the back or Stockley on his own up front 
    352 made sense most of the time, especially with the issues at the back.  It didn't make sense all the time and never changing during the game made no sense. 

It's funny that in 20/21 433 was the go to formation in this division and by the end of 21/22 it was 352. 

What ever we played last season we were probably 1 or 2 short, even if everyone was available.  When 3 or 4 weren't we were well short. And it showed, under both managers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Bit of a left field name and hasn't really done much since leaving Huddersfield but what about David Wagner as an option? Would give TS his high press for sure. 
    Oooh, now THIS is good thinking 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Bit of a left field name and hasn't really done much since leaving Huddersfield but what about David Wagner as an option? Would give TS his high press for sure. 
    Hasn't he just left a team that play in the champions league every season? 
  • Options
    can’t see Wagner dropping to League One but if there’s a chance he would then TS should try 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Hasn't he just left a team that play in the champions league every season? 
    Yeah left Young Boys in Switzerland after coming 15 points behind FC Zurich. 

I doubt there's any chance of him even being interested but I thought I'd suggest it anyway 
  • Options
    I was just thinking, would be really nice to have woken up this morning to find we have appointed a new manager, unless TS has someone very special and we are going walk the league, it really does all seem we are very pedestrian!
  • Options
    From Bob Peeters rigid formations where a great attacking full back like Rhoys Wiggins was told along with Solly to hold their positions to keep a four at the back, to JJ going with the 3 at the back but get your wing backs forward to counter. We did keep 14 clean sheets in the 33 games under Jackson but at other times we could get picked off.  Under Adkins this season we struggled as he didn't trust Clare and Dobson after a few games which told me the committee selected the players and Adkins was out voted because why would you lose confidence after just a few games?

Under Bowyer we tried the A-Z plans. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Have some quality in your side, and then most coaches will play to the strength of their quality players and the others have their backs and you create relationship all over the pitch. Formations to suit the players you have would always be best.

Wigan got the balance right with their incomings last August where like the SAS they got in and out quickly and hit the ground running- with a big League 1 budget which helped. 

Ipswich made the mistake of mainly getting forwards and early season gave away some terrible goals. They just about finished in the top half of the table but look set for a top 6 finish in 2022/23.

Who ever we get as Manager, he needs a system where we have more control of games and there is a coherent strategy.

Those of us who only had two training session a week at most to get our ideas across would love the luxury of the daily training.

Our fate may be decided, not only in the August window and the incomings but the ability of players having a pre season together and bonding and knowing the shape formation and what is expected over a 46 game season.

Anyone who thinks you can do most of your business on the last two days of the August windows is either clueless or has a really bad memory; no problem getting the likes of Yann later.

New manager will be announce soon if JR is correct with a shortlist of six.

Bang on. Look at the 2011/2012 Powell side. Controlled games and once we went 1-0 up we never looked like losing. 
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:

Matt Taylor gone from 2/1 to 4/5 overnight, and before any says I know it doesn’t necessarily matter!
    Also JFH has dropped from 8/1 when also being rulled out of the job 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another factor is will TS be giving out more these performance based contracts? 

Not sure Beale would be happy to leave Villa if he gets very little compensation should we not make the play-offs. 

It’s one thing to require the new manager to change the entire playing philosophy, which usually takes years, it’s another thing to expect immediate results.   
    yeah but we are in League 1...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Both recommended by Lawrence and the cheap option I would suggest.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Croydon said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    Define legend.  Taylor was a key part of our League One, record points total first team and most people would be happy with him.

Previous connections or not, legends or not, simply get the best candidate.  

• Options
    Matt Taylor now 1/2
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    Bearing in mind Curbs already works for the club on the tv channel and has seen most of our games last season.  I do think TS would be mad not to have a chat with him about footballing matters at the club and get his views. Might be worth considering involving him  if willing in the interview process. For I know that might already be happening or Curbs might prefer not to get involved with any of it.
    Curbs thinks Gilbey is good. That should be enough for you all to realise that he has been out of the game for too long.
    Curbs works for Charlton tv, I wouldn’t expect him to be overly critical of any of our players or managers on there or any other public forum. I would agree that he is too long out of the game to be our manager and can’t think why he would want to.

But, and I’m happy for you to explain how this is wrong, I suspect he has got a lot more knowledge about professional football than TS and his son. And I can’t see that he wouldn’t be a fairly decent judge about our current strengths and weakness’s and what we might need to improve to challenge for promotion. That dispute him being so senile that he has made a few complimentary comments about a player who has underperformed for us.

Just to be clear here, I’m not suggesting he should be our next manager, but someone who could give useful advice on who we appoint and maybe help to interview the candidates.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Curbs thinks Gilbey is good. That should be enough for you all to realise that he has been out of the game for too long.
    Gilbey isn’t a bad player. I’ve seen him run games when he wants to. Sadly, that’s the problem. Sometimes he turns up, sometimes he doesn’t, same with Lee.
    Sorry, what's an example of when he has 'run a game'? He makes one run a game more like