Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Late to the discussion so might already had a mention
    Lennie Lawrence arguably Addicks best manager since Seed, did not play above non league before being appointed 
    wouldnt mind him back as dof with curbs manager and bowyer assistant

and JJ as coach
    Where would chris Powel fit into this?
    he can cut the half time oranges
  • Options
    Here's  the type of manager we need.

Winner, at ease with Royalty
  • Options

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SamB09 said:
    AndyG said:
    It always amazes me the difference a Manager can make look at Eddie Howe and Newcastle they are a different team under him and it isnt like they have had the chance to spend mega bucks yet but they looked odds on for relegation this year. For me he wins Manager of the season. Forest is another example along with Spurs. All proof the worth of getting the Manager that suits the squad
    They spent 90m on 4 players
    But apart from that and the FFP breaches at Bournemouth he has worked wonders.  Right?

He has been a manager for for ever and I still don't actually know how good he is.

His 1st Bournemouth spell and Burnley are probably the best measure.

Wasn't a great player either :p
    Of the current bottom 5 in the table newcastle spent 90m and the next biggest spender was everton at 40m. Howe did Newcastle manage to escape relegation i wonder?!?! 
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence arguably Addicks best manager since Seed, did not play above non league before being appointed 

and JJ as coach
    Yup and let's give Killer & Micky Flanagan a call to see if they fancy another season 😂😂
  • Options
    Sam Ricketts

Discuss
    Poor lad.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

and JJ as coach
    Yup and let's give Killer & Micky Flanagan a call to see if they fancy another season 😂😂
    With paddy Powell waltzing down the wing I hope👍
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    AndyG said:

and JJ as coach
    With paddy Powell waltzing down the wing I hope👍
    I'm pretty sure Richie Bowman would be up for it as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    AndyG said:
    It always amazes me the difference a Manager can make look at Eddie Howe and Newcastle they are a different team under him and it isnt like they have had the chance to spend mega bucks yet but they looked odds on for relegation this year. For me he wins Manager of the season. Forest is another example along with Spurs. All proof the worth of getting the Manager that suits the squad
    No way should Howe get manager of the year. 

he spent a lot of money and all he had to do was tell them to stop playing shit.  They had a number of decent players underperforming because of the shit manager

steve Bruce is about as good as Iain dowie these days and he zapped any momentum they had.  He’s an atmosphere hoover of a man
    Robbie Fowler? 👃
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    The clock is ticking, the team is sparse, it’s pretty clear that there wasn’t a plan in place two weeks ago and the well intentioned father / son team are giving every indication that they will be involved in recruitment and tactics.

It’s getting more difficult to remain positive and I wonder how many lessons have actually been learned.
    This is where I am but am prepared and hope to be wrong.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    The clock is ticking, the team is sparse, it’s pretty clear that there wasn’t a plan in place two weeks ago and the well intentioned father / son team are giving every indication that they will be involved in recruitment and tactics.

It’s getting more difficult to remain positive and I wonder how many lessons have actually been learned.
    Unless there was a plan but it's fallen through after the first choice turned it down? Not good either way of course.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SamB09 said:
    AndyG said:
    They spent 90m on 4 players
    But apart from that and the FFP breaches at Bournemouth he has worked wonders.  Right?

He has been a manager for for ever and I still don't actually know how good he is.

His 1st Bournemouth spell and Burnley are probably the best measure.

Wasn't a great player either :p
    Of the current bottom 5 in the table newcastle spent 90m and the next biggest spender was everton at 40m. Howe did Newcastle manage to escape relegation i wonder?!?!  :D
    Newcastle's net spend in the last five years is £170m and that is largely the make up of their squad. Everton (10 points behind Newcastle) have had a net spend of £300m in that time. Aston Villa (2 points behind) net spend is £230m. Man Utd's is £410m and they are just 12 points above Newcastle.

Equally, the four players signed for that £90m have started 44 games between them in the PL - in reality, they've filled 1.5 of the 11, on average, of the XI starting for Newcastle in the time that Howe has been there. Trippier has only started 4 matches. We should also remember that their number one striker, Wilson has only played in 9 of the 27 games that Howe has been in charge for.

So, undoubtedly, the players signed in January have helped but ones like Shelvey for example, until he got injured, looked totally differently to the one when Bruce was in charge. Fraser, the bloke who walked out on Howe and Bournemouth, was in good form but then got injured too. And players that join new clubs don't necessarily turn it on straightaway for their new teams. Just look at our Fraser or Kirk as examples of that - both meant to be a cut above League 1 level.

So it's not just about money. If it was then Man United would be comfortably in the top four right now. It's about getting the recruitment right and getting the most out of the players at a manager's disposal.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Would it be such a huge surprise ?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    Well it would be our most ridiculous appointment ever by far, and we've had Karel Fraeye as manager.
    Karel didn't have a hard shot though......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is TS even in the country?
    3AM interviews are never good
    TS is not doing the interviews, Martin is. Finish up by 7pm and then he nips the hoover round and empties the bins.

The geezer is everywhere. 
  • Options
    Just be grateful Sol Campbell hasn’t been mentioned for us yet!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Just be grateful Sol Campbell hasn’t been mentioned for us yet!
    Only because the press are linking him to QPR, if they weren't......
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Or we are still interviewing candidates,

Or we are still negotiating terms,

Or numerous other possible reasons.

But guaranteed it isn't true, that the only possible reason we haven't appointed a manager, is because they are a manager of a play off team. It's one of many possibilities.
    Gareth Ainsworth would be nice, although I imagine he is on a big contract at Wycombe.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Or we are still interviewing candidates,

Or we are still negotiating terms,

Or numerous other possible reasons.

But guaranteed it isn't true, that the only possible reason we haven't appointed a manager, is because they are a manager of a play off team. It's one of many possibilities.
    Gareth Ainsworth would be nice, although I imagine he is on a big contract at Wycombe.
    Could he fill the QPR if they lose, or even if they don't, on Saturday?  Could get the market moving.  Its probably the only job that has a direct impact on who we can or can't get.
  • Options
    IAgree said:

There not involved in either .. inputting data and giving the results to SG that’s MS job  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:

Actually it’s some bloke called Sangaard 🤣
  • Options
    Here's  the type of manager we need.

Winner, at ease with Royalty
    Someone with a monstrous god-like apparition hovering large, behind?
  • Options
    IAgree said:

There not involved in either .. inputting data and giving the results to SG that’s MS job  
    Why, in the name of all that is Holy, do you keep saying this?

Thomas, Gallen, Adkins, Jackson and God knows who else have said they are.  Yet every day you come on here and say they aren’t.

Why?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’s been tweaked by a fan! It’s BS can’t even spell his name right😂