Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Cloudworm said:
    Do we know for a fact MS doesn't have his UEFA B licence, or is it an assumption?

Sorry if this has been previously answered. Haven't got time to read everything.
    It's an assumption as he has been working for Zynex in the US all (nearly all of) his working life.
  • edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    Is there an obvious link between Lennon and McLeish?
    Only that they both were at Reading at the same time......... 

Or they both worked in Glasgow at a similar time.  Both ex Hibs managers.  Dont share the same agent.

Its strange that Lennon is backed so strongly yet there hasnt been a mention at all of any substance and he wasnt linked last time we he was actually avaliable.
  • AndyG said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    I would like to see him involved in ‘some way or another’ on the team/playing side of things.
    Not sure how that could be accomplished though, first off an agreement with the new manager would need to be made in order that he would agree to the idea.
    Of course……..would Curbs himself be interested?
    This is getting silly now. Curbs is a total legend here and always will be but he makes no secret of the fact that he doesnt watch football much anymore, he appears on Charlton TV and gives his opinion on the match to hand. He is at a stage in life where football is way down the agenda. Let the fella enjoy himself
    You know all that do you…..by the way, I did say he may not be interested anyway.
    Nothing about getting silly at all……if he fancies it great, if not
    fair enough. 
  • Lennon is a strange one, because most of his managerial career has been at Celtic over two spells. I know he was at Bolton and Hibs but got memory of if he did a good job etc.

Without making this a comment about Celtic or Rangers. Not really sure that managerial experience is relevant to fighting for promotion in league 1. Would say a manager who is experienced at the other 10 SPL would be far better suited as being able to compete with lower resources instead of buying the best players in the league 
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

Is TS perfect?  No
    Is he anywhere near the levels of shithousery, incompetence and criminal behaviour of previous incumbents, No
    Has he made mistakes, Yes, but I believe all to do with inexperience, naivety and ego rather than some Machiavellian plot.

Rant over 
    He did say Elvis was over rated :- )

But, yes I agree.

He wants success in the same way we fans do.
    Actually, a friend of mine who also happens to be a big Elvis fan, was talking to him in the Oak the last time he was over and she told me that he said he was a big Elvis fan also, so stick that in your cardigan pocket with your boiled sweets, I’m more itk than you 😜 no I think she said shaking Stevens mate😉
  • I can hand on heart say that if Neil Lennon becomes Charlton manager, I will not attend a single match whist he's in charge 
    Even if he was successful ? 
  • Neil Lennon and Mick McCarthy dream team.

Think of all the Lennon & McCartney puns.

Green and white hooped away shirts, we'd all love it.
    You’ll end up on the naughty step. 
  • Unless it comes from Richard Crawley, I'm not worried in the slightest.
  • Lennon is a strange one, because most of his managerial career has been at Celtic over two spells. I know he was at Bolton and Hibs but got memory of if he did a good job etc.

Without making this a comment about Celtic or Rangers. Not really sure that managerial experience is relevant to fighting for promotion in league 1. Would say a manager who is experienced at the other 10 SPL would be far better suited as being able to compete with lower resources instead of buying the best players in the league 
    Hibs fans liked him and buying the best players in the league is not exactly the worst plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    i hope TS gets Curbs in
    I would like to see him involved in ‘some way or another’ on the team/playing side of things.
    Not sure how that could be accomplished though, first off an agreement with the new manager would need to be made in order that he would agree to the idea.
    Of course……..would Curbs himself be interested?
    This is getting silly now. Curbs is a total legend here and always will be but he makes no secret of the fact that he doesnt watch football much anymore, he appears on Charlton TV and gives his opinion on the match to hand. He is at a stage in life where football is way down the agenda. Let the fella enjoy himself
    You know all that do you…..by the way, I did say he may not be interested anyway.
    Nothing about getting silly at all……if he fancies it great, if not
    fair enough. 
    It wasnt a dig at you mate. There are loads of people who keep crying out for it and yes I do know that, he has said so countless times on CATV. He has 3-4 holidays a year ( good luck to him he deserves them ) and is always saying that he has no idea about other teams as he doesnt watch football much anymore. I would be gutted if he did step up due to the risk to his lasting legacy with us.
  • edited May 2022
    Is it just the Celtic thing that put people off Lennon?
    Genuinely interested in the answer.
  • Recent interview with Curbs, scroll to the end and he answers the question

Have you any plans to return to management? Future plans if not?

https://www.olbg.com/blogs/alan-curbishley 
  • Is it just the Celtic thing that put people of Lennon?
    My Scottish mother in law always called him a 'Dick ' , so for that reason I'm out on him.
  • edited May 2022
    He seems a competent manager so I wouldn't be against it at this point. I feel the manager should be in place now as I have previously observed. The managers we can bring in will all have a risk attached and to think you can interview out that risk is crazy when it is clear what the potential is from the candidate's records. What these men have previously achieved and done and indeed where they have failed is there for all to see.

I love Curbs but his book was a bit dry. But one thing that it did highlight was the bollocks involved in interviewing him for the England job. Self important people trying to be too clever, probably justifying their own positions, and usually getting it wrong.
  • I can hand on heart say that if Neil Lennon becomes Charlton manager, I will not attend a single match whist he's in charge 
    Yes 100%
    Yes 100%
    Can I ask why?

You didn't even have to type 'discuss' afterwards to ruffle a few feathers with this one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it just the Celtic thing that put people off Lennon?
    I suspect it’s the god awful football manager skills people are perturbed by. 
    Yes 100%
    And you’re a Charlton fan. Nowt so queer as folk as they say.
  • edited May 2022
    shirty5 said:
    I’m not saying it’s inaccurate that Taylor will “inevitably “ have spoken to Jackson but I’m not convinced these statements are always true. I’m sure if MT really wanted to get hold of Jackson’s number he could but how much credence would you place on asking the person who’s just been sacked from the job you are considering ? I’m not saying JJ would have an axe to grind but it’s possible. It might be different if they were dear old chums but I doubt the two have spoken to each other for years. Always seems odd to me that these clichéd assumptions about asking advice on the job you want are rolled out every time.
     Well they played together for 2 seasons. If you was going for a job and you knew someone who used to work there would you not ask them?
    No. I’ve worked with hundreds of people for a lot longer that 2 years and never spoken to them since.
    I have worked with many people over the years and not spoken to them......when I was with them.

They dont know what they are missing. 
  • He seems a competent manager so I wouldn't be against it at this point. I feel the manager should be in place now as I have previously observed. The managers we can bring in will all have a risk attached and to think you can interview out that risk is crazy when it is clear what the potential is from the candidate's records. What these men have previously achieved and done and indeed where they have failed is there for all to see.

I love Curbs but his book was a bit dry. But one thing that it did highlight was the bollocks involved in interviewing him for the England job. Self important people trying to be too clever, probably justifying their own positions, and usually getting it wrong.
    He did ok at Celtic, although Rangers were out of existence for some of those seasons and he followed Rodgers, who had laid the foundations for success in the first year of his second spell. 

I have no interest in his religion/ethnicity/politics, but he strikes me as one of those managers that has seen better days.  
  • edited May 2022
    If people don’t want Lennon cos he’s shit or bad at managing players then that’s fair dos.

If it has anything to do with sectarian nonsense then that’s just plain bollox.

For me it’s because I think he is on the way down as a manager and maybe some personal issues that might impact him as a manager. 

Imagine....
    Wow, that some serious anger right there. Is there a personal connection, is it based on his record, or is in an anti Celtic thing?
    Yes 100%
    Can I ask why?

Was a horrible little shit when he was a player

Talks shit about other teams all the time 

Refused to come out for the 1 minute silence for the Ibrox disaster

Never stops moaning about his teams being picked on

Purposely winds up opposition fans when he should be keeping his mouth shut

He's a shit manager

He's ginger :)