Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• I know we’re restless and hungover from last season but is it really taking that long when you consider Barnsley, Blackburn, Burnley, Crawley, Forest Green, Hartlepool, QPR and Salford are all in the same position?  And that’s not including others whose owners haven’t sacked them yet!  Just a thought.  As long as it’s done before the first day of training for me, and as long as it’s right.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't wish to go against many peoples opinions on here, but could it be, I know this maybe a little whimsical, that we have selected our next manager already and they in turn have handed a player shopping list to TS, but we haven't made an announcement yet due to them being at a club that's still playing?
    Just a thought. 
    It's possible but I am sure if that was the case it would have leaked by now.  Too many people would know.
    Sorry I completely disagree, no one on here has a clue who has been interviewed, or is still, maybe, to be interviewed, if you stick a tenner on just one of the candidates the odds will shorten dramatically! Even the bookies are struggling to have a 'cast iron favourite' as odds keep changing with no one as a complete stand out 'hot' name.
    TS and Co seem to be doing things under the radar....not a bad thing in my opinion.
    Afterall look at the arguments on here about who it should/shouldn't be. Only time will tell if I might be right, but it's not a bad theory.
    Has that ever happened? I think there’s way too many loose lips in football nowadays for a manager to go behind his own clubs back and neither party leak it. 

If it was at a club still playing, it would have to be League Two level. I can’t see us being interested in poaching a manager from Swindon, Port Vale or Mansfield.
    Could be Prem....Beale?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't wish to go against many peoples opinions on here, but could it be, I know this maybe a little whimsical, that we have selected our next manager already and they in turn have handed a player shopping list to TS, but we haven't made an announcement yet due to them being at a club that's still playing?
    Just a thought. 
    It's possible but I am sure if that was the case it would have leaked by now.  Too many people would know.
    Sorry I completely disagree, no one on here has a clue who has been interviewed, or is still, maybe, to be interviewed, if you stick a tenner on just one of the candidates the odds will shorten dramatically! Even the bookies are struggling to have a 'cast iron favourite' as odds keep changing with no one as a complete stand out 'hot' name.
    TS and Co seem to be doing things under the radar....not a bad thing in my opinion.
    Afterall look at the arguments on here about who it should/shouldn't be. Only time will tell if I might be right, but it's not a bad theory.
    If they were already employed they would know, half a dozen people at Charlton would know, half a dozen people at their club would know.  Someone would probably be tapped up for the job they currently had so potentially that's half a dozen more.

Someone potentially having an interview, probably by zoom, could potentially be a handful of people if that.

That's before you factor in anyone approached on the shopping list.
  • I don't wish to go against many peoples opinions on here, but could it be, I know this maybe a little whimsical, that we have selected our next manager already and they in turn have handed a player shopping list to TS, but we haven't made an announcement yet due to them being at a club that's still playing?
    Just a thought. 
    As I said on the "name the day" thread.

Its Klopp.
  • Nothing against Jason but I hope it’s not him. We need a new approach and I’m sorry but Jason won’t give us that. 
    We don’t know that for sure though do we. Bowyer was completely different to Robinson for example 
    We don’t indeed, but if we were to employ someone for example like a Matt Taylor we are more likely to have more of an idea about how they will perform - and if at least if they can be successful - in the actual manager role. Where as for me, currently Euell has just been part of the same coaching set up that has been producing terrible football for a long time now.

Of course there are not guarantees either way, and l am not saying that Euell may not be an exceptional manager. But I would rather whoever we did employ had a body of work, working in the actual role then taking a punt on someone who has not*.

In short I don’t feel like we can take a punt on someone who has not had proven success in the role at the current juncture of where we are.

*That being said I would of course very much welcome Beale, so what do I know.
    I’m inclined to agree with everything you’ve said. The main issue is the “proven success” part. Genuinely cannot think of anyone recently promoted from league 1 who is both suitable and realistic 
  • edited May 2022
    Nothing against Jason but I hope it’s not him. We need a new approach and I’m sorry but Jason won’t give us that. 
    We don’t know that for sure though do we. Bowyer was completely different to Robinson for example 
    We don’t indeed, but if we were to employ someone for example like a Matt Taylor we are more likely to have more of an idea about how they will perform - and if at least if they can be successful - in the actual manager role. Where as for me, currently Euell has just been part of the same coaching set up that has been producing terrible football for a long time now.

Of course there are not guarantees either way, and l am not saying that Euell may not be an exceptional manager. But I would rather whoever we did employ had a body of work, working in the actual role then taking a punt on someone who has not*.

In short I don’t feel like we can take a punt on someone who has not had proven success in the role at the current juncture of where we are.

I’m inclined to agree with everything you’ve said. The main issue is the “proven success” part. Genuinely cannot think of anyone recently promoted from league 1 who is both suitable and realistic 
    Apart from Paul Warne how many current managers have more than 1 league 1 promotion.  I think if we had appointed Richardson from Wigan when we got Adkins there would have been up roar.

Almost everyone that gets promoted then ends up, ultimately, failing in the championship. 

If Powell did what he did here at say Huddersfield and his name came up now people would say but yeah he got sacked in the championship because he couldn't cut it.

Now we know that that isn't true.  It's like Lennon and Ferguson failing in some jobs, without context it's meaningless.
  • What about anyone from the Watford 900 over the last few years? 
  • If Euell was the most impressive candidate then what’s he problem. If we’re honest, he’s more experienced and qualified than Jacko and should probably have been given the chance ahead of Jackson last time round. He’s also an England U20 coach. 

Having said all that, I don’t think it will be him as I doubt TS can be bothered with the backlash of some thinking it’s no different. 
    I wonder if he interviewed for the Wimbledon job ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Nothing against Jason but I hope it’s not him. We need a new approach and I’m sorry but Jason won’t give us that. 

Apart from Paul Warne how many current managers have more than 1 league 1 promotion.  I think if we had appointed Richardson from Wigan when we got Adkins there would have been up roar.

Almost everyone that gets promoted then ends up, ultimately, failing in the championship. 

If Powell did what he did here at say Huddersfield and his name came up now people would say but yeah he got sacked in the championship because he couldn't cut it.

Now we know that that isn't true.  It's like Lennon and Ferguson failing in some jobs, without context it's meaningless.
    Ferguson is probably the only one that stands out with league 1 promotions alongside Warne. Ainsworth could obviously join them over the weekend. In reality, Ferguson should probably be a solid candidate 
  • Nothing against Jason but I hope it’s not him. We need a new approach and I’m sorry but Jason won’t give us that. 

Im not necessarily thinking success to be judged as promotion from league 1. It could be to have come up from league 2 and done well in on league 1 - or even managed to get a ‘weaker’ team close to or in the play offs. 
  • Ironically Euell might not be a bad option given the setup here now

He did very well with the U23s which was very much a role where he didnt get much of a say on Recruitment

At least I'd presume not..
  • If Euell was the most impressive candidate then what’s he problem. If we’re honest, he’s more experienced and qualified than Jacko and should probably have been given the chance ahead of Jackson last time round. He’s also an England U20 coach. 

Having said all that, I don’t think it will be him as I doubt TS can be bothered with the backlash of some thinking it’s no different. 
    I doubt TS gives a shit about any backlash - he’s going to get that whoever he appoints based on the comments on here. 
  • Still think the eventual appointment is going to surprise us all. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Is it just the Celtic thing that put people off Lennon?
    Genuinely interested in the answer.
    Yes
    Pathetic 
    Why is it pathetic?
  • Gerrard doesn’t exactly dismiss the thought of Beale leaving. Interesting.

I'd be very surprised if Beale hasn't interviewed at least. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    That to me suggests at the very least Beale would be interested in learning about it as an opportunity which is positive. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Short and sweet from Grapey -

• DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

Is TS perfect?  No
    Is he anywhere near the levels of shithousery, incompetence and criminal behaviour of previous incumbents, No
    Has he made mistakes, Yes, but I believe all to do with inexperience, naivety and ego rather than some Machiavellian plot.

Rant over 
    He did say Elvis was over rated :- )

But, yes I agree.

He wants success in the same way we fans do.
    Actually, a friend of mine who also happens to be a big Elvis fan, was talking to him in the Oak the last time he was over and she told me that he said he was a big Elvis fan also, so stick that in your cardigan pocket with your boiled sweets, I’m more itk than you 😜
    Elvis was in The Oak ? 
    There’s a guy works down the Oak swears he’s Elvis 

I’ll get me coat…..
    Lordflashheart has left the building.
  • Valley11 said:
    Villa mate just text saying he thinks Beale is on the way 
    Ian?
  • AndyG said:
    That interview with SG adds weight I think to it being Beale. It wouldnt be announced until the end of the season so maybe that's the delay. I also think he fits the identity being sought by the club as in a coach that coaches the players he is given. I think it would be a bit of a punt as he hasnt managed before but loads of top coaching experience at high levels and well respected, high risk and potentially high reward just up TS's street I think. If he doesnt come here I would think it's because he chose not to 
    He’s going to have to be a good coach with some of the players we’ve got!!😬😂
  • edited May 2022
    People are thinking that what I said about it being under the radar as not able to happen. Firstly anyone know the name of anyone who has been 100% interviewed? It's all speculation, and if it is Beale there are things that Villa may have insisted on including a NDA on Beale, Villa and Charlton. They do happen.
    For clarity I'm not saying it is Beale, but with many people saying nothing is happening, why don't we know, TS is drifting etc etc, I'm giving a potential different reason WE don't know.