Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne - now at Gillingham (p27)

Comments

• Options
    Its all been said already but I'm not happy about this one.  At least its only a six month deal.  In the extremely unlikely event that he and we click then fair enough but I'm not going to put any bets on it.  Good luck to him.  I have a feeling he's gonna need it.  I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Good, fine. Capable of scoring goals, can be a backup to Leaburn where needed, will probably score more than Stockley.
    I think the deal until the end of the season is the really interesting part to be hoenst. Could mean all sorts of things. Might mean we're hedging our bets and giving him a chance to prove himself after going through a period where he hasn't been scoring, might mean he's trying to put himself in the shop window because he still thinks he's able to play above this level, could be that we're looking to get in better than him in the summer if and when a takeover goes through, or could mean that there's no appetite to pay players much of anything beyond this current season where survivial is still the main aim. I guess we'll get an answer to which of those it is in the next window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will reserve judgment and comments until he has played 10 games, the same as I will do with any other signings.

We are fishing in a very shallow pool for players due to being a poorly run, average league one team so my expectations are low 
  • Options
    My only issue is that if he does well he'll just end up leaving us for a competitor because we have no money. 

Any striker to help us get Stockley out of the door is a positive. 
  • Options
    Mixed feelings, but prepared to give him a chance to redeem himself.
  • Options
    Not the most exciting signing, but provides a decent option upfront for the rest of this season. Would rather Bonne than Stockley or Aneke. 
  • Options
    I can't believe people are suggesting he replaces Stockley. The next striker we bring in surely replaces Stockley. If that is not the case we have learned nothing since the last window.
    Leaburn replaced Washington. 

Having 4 strikers is a bit much if we play with 1 up front. If Holden wants to swap to a 3-5-2 then yes we need another one but 4-3-3 seems to be our preferred formation right now. 
  • Options
    welcome back Mac .. you were underrated when you were here before .. make the underraters eat their humble pie .. all the very best
    Certainly wasn’t underestimated by QPR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's hoping he can bang a few goals in.
  • Options
    I can't believe people are suggesting he replaces Stockley. The next striker we bring in surely replaces Stockley. If that is not the case we have learned nothing since the last window.
    Leaburn replaced Washington. 

Having 4 strikers is a bit much if we play with 1 up front. If Holden wants to swap to a 3-5-2 then yes we need another one but 4-3-3 seems to be our preferred formation right now. 
    If Chuks is one of the 4 then we haven't got 4 strikers though, we've got 3.25, maybe 3.5 strikers at best. That's the problem, Chuks is great if he's fit and at least one of the others is fit so that he can make an impact as a sub. You can't use Chuks as your starting forward. Even if fit he just isn't psychologically able to play from the start. When he comes on as a sub it's like he knows he only has to survive X minutes and put his all in. When he starts he looks worried he's going to pull up injured at any moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I seem to be in the minority, but I don't mind this as a deal to the end of the season.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't we get rid.

Good deal IMO
    I agree. We need a striker, he needs a club. And if it does go to shit, he will be off in a few months anyway. The fact that realistically we're not going to do better than Bonne in terms of a striker is just the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    Head turning signing this.
  • Options
    The best bit of this deal is that it’s only to the end of the season, if he’s crap we can wave him bye bye.
  • Options
    Not ideal but anything is better than Stockley at the moment. I presume he'll be down the road at Gillingham now. 
  • Options
    Happy with this given the current status with the clubs takeover/no takeover.
    Signed until the end of the season which makes sense but I have faith in Holden and believe if Bonne has goals in him, Amanda will get them out of him.
    He knows where the back of the net is and hoping he proves a lot of people wrong
  • Options
    But but has he apologised?!