Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne - now at Gillingham (p27)

Comments

• Options
    What you saying we should have only signed him for this weekend 
  • Options
    Its 6 months becuase we need somebody to replace Leaburn when injured, suspended off form  etc, and we will have nobody once Stockley goes.

Its a short term fix.
  • Options
    He will probably be ok in 6 months when he has got himself match fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Well, I'm totally disappointed. Just watched his interview on the OS and neither Bonne or the interviewer  used the Charlton catchphrase "unfinished business" once.  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    I've been underwhelmed by players who i thought would be great signings and turned out to be shite, and surprised by players i wasn't expecting much from who turned out to be decent, so i'm not going to pass any judgement on this yet. For me he starts with a clean slate though.

We need a striker, we have no money, we've got a striker who cost no money. So let's see how he goes. Football fans are fickle, if he scores the winner on Saturday everyone will love him.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    It's truly, truly insane to me that almost all of the media surrounding Bonne's re-signing is around him and the staff having to address a comment he made on being positive about signing for his new club and a meme he posted on Twitter. There cannot be a more pathetic group than the kind of fans who screech abuse at opposition players and their own and then become fatally wounded when a player gives a bit back or decides not to pretend that their club is the greatest thing in the world anymore. I wonder how these people function in the real world. Must be exhausting
    Spot on. Some fans can be very precious at times. We've all been crying out for a good striker at this level, we get one and a vocal section of our support scream "not that one". This isn't the first time he has addressed those comments, let's all move on. We all want to move forward as does Bonne. Get behind the team and lets have less of the booing and crying over some words on social media.
    We can all give it out to a player but can't take it. He got dogs abuse when he left, only human nature to retaliate 
  • Options
    Cheer up. JFH has come out of retirement and was spotted at Sparrows lane this morning
  • Options
    It's truly, truly insane to me that almost all of the media surrounding Bonne's re-signing is around him and the staff having to address a comment he made on being positive about signing for his new club and a meme he posted on Twitter. There cannot be a more pathetic group than the kind of fans who screech abuse at opposition players and their own and then become fatally wounded when a player gives a bit back or decides not to pretend that their club is the greatest thing in the world anymore. I wonder how these people function in the real world. Must be exhausting
    Well said.  Also failure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  
  • Options
    Good signing. Has scored goals at this level and in a purple patch in the Championship. Wishing him all the best.
  • Options
    Agreed. Apart from Taylor. I'm not getting over that 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I seem to be in the minority, but I don't mind this as a deal to the end of the season.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't we get rid.

Good deal IMO
    I'm kind of surprised I'm saying this, but I also think it's a decent bit of business. I was not a huge fan of his when he was here, and when I hear QPR offered 1m (allegedly) I would have bitten their hand off. Not that he doesn't work hard, he's just rubbish at the footballing part.

But he can finish and goal poach. I don't think he can start up front on his own, but he could be a good resource when chasing a game. And on a six month deal, I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who you know has the proven ability to score goals. 

Also, we now have one of, if not the best forward line in League One. Stockley, Aneke, Bonne, and Leaburn SHOULD all be quite good for the level. Obviously there are question marks around all of them, but on paper it's a very good strike force. 
  • Options

Onwards and upwards. He's been signed to propel us into the play offs.  :p

• Options
    I'd like to hear 'those in the knows' opinion over the short term deal. Is that related to ownership issues and yes I'm aware we did the same with CBT and on current form that hasn't worked out too badly, but we signed Chuks last year and gave him a long deal, so why so short ?
  • Options
    Just got in so posting without reading.

This is one of the least inspiring signings I can remember and fuck me there's been some 
    Really?!?! Do you remember Matt Smith? Or the other Matt Smith? Or the other, other Matt Smith? We've signed so many Matt Smiths I don't remember how many Matt Smiths we signed.

Also David Davies.

I'm not saying this is a brilliant signing, but this is a signing of a player with a track record at this level and the Championship, and in terms of squad balance it makes sense. And it's a six month "prove yourself" contract. 
  • Options
    Usually I don't know anything about the signings we make so there is an element of hope even if others are saying they are not great.

Knowing MB makes this the most underwhelming signing for a long time.  Offers absolutely nothing when he doesn't score, scores in patches, unlikely to be fit.  

The only good thing about this signing is that it is only 6months wasted wages we will lose.
  • Options
    Who cares if he's rubbish? He's our rubbish now!