Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• The offside rule is still a bit of a problem for him , unfortunately.
  • edited January 2023
    Macca seems to divide opinion….
  • Talal said:
    But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Leaburn and Grant often wore 8. Though I was watching a game the other day and Bradley Allen wore 2 😭 Think Vaz Te also wore that. 
    Allen wore the number two because that season the numbers were given in alphabetical order.  Bizarre.

Perhaps @Airman Brown may know how this came about?
  • But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Why?
    I'm genuinely asking why him having a number 8 shirt is seen as an issue. I have no idea.
  • edited January 2023
    It just gives someone something to moan about and make an issue.

If Bonne scores a few goals he can wear whatever number he wants.
  • edited January 2023
    Busy, eye for a goal, never stops hassling defenders. Can drop deep. No reason why he shouldn’t wear the 8 shirt as 9 & 10 not available. 
  • But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Why?
    I'm genuinely asking why him having a number 8 shirt is seen as an issue. I have no idea.
    I think it’s because strikers tend to wear number 9 or 10 and 8 is more of a midfielder’s number.
  • Football fans like footballers are a fickle bunch.
    Look at the shit wan bassaka got the other night and the cheers for Rak Saki as an examplei!

No,If Bonne starts smashing goals in the past all will be forgotten in an instant. 
  • Talal said:
    Leaburn and Grant often wore 8. Though I was watching a game the other day and Bradley Allen wore 2 😭 Think Vaz Te also wore that. 
    Allen wore the number two because that season the numbers were given in alphabetical order.  Bizarre.

This was after the 93/94 alphabetical season. Think Bob Bolder wore 2 that season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    The offside rule is still a bit of a problem for him , unfortunately.
    Tough crowd!
  • edited January 2023
    I know Darren Bent was obviously a much higher quality striker than Macaulay Bonne but boy did Darren get caught off side a lot.
    It's an occupational hazard if the defenders work together.

We need a player around that six yard box for the tap ins. Great that Rak Sakyi did that yesterday as well as Bonne obviously who nearly got the goal not the assist.

Macaulay Bonne can't be match sharp so hopefully he gets a good weeks training in with Fraser, Dobson, Rak Sakyi, CBT,  Campbell  etc and Dean Holden, can help the sharpness of the forwards/ midfielders with their decision making. 7 goals in 3 games and 2 conceded is an improvement BUT we still needed the goal posts and crossbar help yesterday to claim our 3 in a row.

• Talal said:
    Talal said:

This was after the 93/94 alphabetical season. Think Bob Bolder wore 2 that season. 
    Who will be the first player to wear a three figure number? Only a matter of time with the size of some of these teams squads.
  • iaitch said:
    Bristol City around Christmas time. Bonne headed on for Taylor, Taylor headed on and Bonne got round the defender to score from a difficult angle.

Game where Doughty got the winner from a Bonne cross.

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPLlwW8-JEw
    Same errors in the defence lately as then. 
  • Talal said:

Clubs could choose alphabetically or ‘traditional’. We chose the former. #OnlyAtCharlton
  • Football fans like footballers are a fickle bunch.
    Look at the shit wan bassaka got the other night and the cheers for Rak Saki as an examplei!

No,If Bonne starts smashing goals in the past all will be forgotten in an instant. 
    I’d rather he smashed them in the present. 
  • Talal said:

Bradley Allen wasn’t playing for us when we had the alphabetical numbers, with Balmer no1. That was 93/94, he joined 95/96. Not sure what game Talal is referring to or why Allen was wearing a no2, I’d be surprised if he was to be honest. I think around those seasons 95/96-97/98 we didn’t always have squad numbers, think there was at least 1 year where it was just name your 1-11 on the day. But in that scenario or the name your squad numbers one I can’t see why it would ever be Allen in a 2. 

More likely a 12, or could he have been confused by right back Matt Jackson (probably 2) banging a shot off and Allen bundling home the rebound in his debut?
  • Just checked , we didn’t have squad numbers between 94-98, they came back when we were promoted 

• For the Aussie contingent.....it's like Vegemite but better!  :D

• For the Aussie contingent.....it's like Vegemite but better!  :D
    Promite rules👍
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    Talal said:

Bradley Allen wasn’t playing for us when we had the alphabetical numbers, with Balmer no1. That was 93/94, he joined 95/96. Not sure what game Talal is referring to or why Allen was wearing a no2, I’d be surprised if he was to be honest. I think around those seasons 95/96-97/98 we didn’t always have squad numbers, think there was at least 1 year where it was just name your 1-11 on the day. But in that scenario or the name your squad numbers one I can’t see why it would ever be Allen in a 2. 

More likely a 12, or could he have been confused by right back Matt Jackson (probably 2) banging a shot off and Allen bundling home the rebound in his debut?
    It was away to Bolton 96/97.

• JamesSeed said:
    Busy, eye for a goal, never stops hassling defenders. Can drop deep. No reason why he shouldn’t wear the 8 shirt as 9 & 10 not available. 
    This is even better as I don't recall him harassing any of our defenders on his visits as an opposition player for Ipswich and QPR.
  • Talal said:
    Talal said:

It was away to Bolton 96/97.

Fair play! That is so weird!! But looking at that line up, is it possible Allen was doing a weird random fill-in job at right back?! I assume not but we also have Bright and Lisbie and I'd be surprised if went there and played 3 up front especially in those days!

Allen Balmer Rufus Barness
    Robbo kinsella oconnell morts
    lisbie bright?

I guess Lisbie could have been a winger for that with Allen and Bright up front...
  • Paul Mortimer used to get tucked up playing left back quite a lot. And Barness was more than capable of playing right and left back. I wasn't at that game but I'd guess we went 433/451 with Lisbie and Allen wide. I cant imagine a universe where Bradley Allen is used defensively 
  • Yeah it was 433, Robinson right back. We got thrashed.

• not surprised, going to the runaway champs and playing 433 is almost as weird as giving Bradley Allen the no2 shirt
  • Their last game at Burnden Park too, vaguely remember coming home from a school trip to watch it on Sky.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Why?
    I think it’s because strikers tend to wear number 9 or 10 and 8 is more of a midfielder’s number.
    Christ almighty.

Thanks.
  • Lisbie was playing in the 96/97 season?! And he was still our 'rising star' in the early 2000s? Albie Morgan you have so much further to go