Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• edited January 2023
    I don’t know why my comment about him wearing no. 8 caused such a stir. It was only a light-hearted comment.

I understand that forwards have played in that number in decades past but over the last 20 years or so, I think I’ve seen more full backs playing on the ‘wrong side’ while wearing 2 or 3 than I have seen forwards wearing 8.
  • edited January 2023
    Scoham said:
    Their last game at Burnden Park too, vaguely remember coming home from a school trip to watch it on Sky.
    Was it? I was there, lost heavily if I remember, but thought it was the game where a certain Tom Hovi played. Could be I’ve got it completely wrong.

Edit - yep, got the Hovi bit wrong. Otherwise remember the game well, Kinsella pen for us and pain in the arse McGinlay with a double for them in a 4-1 defeat.
  • Scoham said:
    Their last game at Burnden Park too, vaguely remember coming home from a school trip to watch it on Sky.
    Was it? I was there, lost heavily if I remember, but thought it was the game where a certain Tom Hovi played. Could be I’ve got it completely wrong.

Edit - yep, got the Hovi bit wrong. Otherwise remember the game well, Kinsella pen for us and pain in the arse McGinlay with a double for them in a 4-1 defeat.
    Wasn't a pen but a screamer from around 30 yards. 
  • Leuth said:
    Lisbie was playing in the 96/97 season?! And he was still our 'rising star' in the early 2000s? Albie Morgan you have so much further to go 
    And until last season he was still playing.
  • JaShea99 said:
    But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Why?
    I'm genuinely asking why him having a number 8 shirt is seen as an issue. I have no idea.
    I think it’s because strikers tend to wear number 9 or 10 and 8 is more of a midfielder’s number.
    Christ almighty.

Thanks.
    Why say you “don’t have a clue” then, when presumably you did? Weird.
  • Talal said:
    Yeah it was 433, Robinson right back. We got thrashed.

What a lop sided lineup, Curbs deserves some stick on Charlton TV for that!

Indeed I wonder if that was actually the formation, rather than the more logical

Petterson
    Barness Rufus Balmer Mortimer
    Lisbie Kinsella O'Connell Robinson
                  Allen Bright
  • I don’t know why my comment about him wearing no. 8 caused such a stir. It was only a light-hearted comment.

I understand that forwards have played in that number in decades past but over the last 20 years or so, I think I’ve seen more full backs playing on the ‘wrong side’ while wearing 2 or 3 than I have seen forwards wearing 8.
    It's a weird part of the modern game that people give positions specific numbers, as if football was rugby union

The number 9 - the target man and main central attacker - that number has long been used
    The number 10 - the creative second central attacker
    The number 8 - the box to box midfielder
    The number 6 - the holding midfielder (despite the fact that traditionally number 6s were centre backs, and that the defensive midfielder would be 4)
  • In the modern era of players wearing any two digit number they fancy up to 99, what does it matter?

For me 5 & 6 were always centre backs. 4 was the defensive midfielder, 7 & 11 were the wide men, 9 was the centre forward and 8 & 10 were either forwards or attacking midfielders.

Nowadays I doubt most starting line ups have more than 3 or 4 numbers in them from 1-11.
  • edited January 2023
    Going back even further when continental teams first started to play a back four namely Italy they used to number their teams from right to left so RB was 2, RCB 3, LCB 4 and LB 5.

Ray Kennedy who went from double winners Arsenal 70/71 as an inside forward wearing the 8 or 10 shirt to a midfielder with Liverpool in 1974 wearing number 5, whilst the CBs wore 4 and 6.
  • edited January 2023
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    But whoever let him have the no. 8 shirt needs talking to!
    Why?
    I'm genuinely asking why him having a number 8 shirt is seen as an issue. I have no idea.
    I think it’s because strikers tend to wear number 9 or 10 and 8 is more of a midfielder’s number.
    Christ almighty.

Thanks.
    Why say you “don’t have a clue” then, when presumably you did? Weird.
    I was responding to the explanation. I had no idea what it was about, what is it about my comment makes you think I did?  Weird yourself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t know why my comment about him wearing no. 8 caused such a stir. It was only a light-hearted comment.

For me I just didn't understand it. Now I do. Apparently there is such a thing as a stupid question. 🙄 
  • edited February 2023
    Andy Scott genius led us to this. 
  • Fantastic decision by Holden to start this joker. 

Andy Scott terrific decision as well. 
    Did he play today , must have missed him 
  • Don’t remember him linking up with the midfielder at any point during the game. Only time he was involved was when we punted long for Bonne to chase.

Cannot believe how bad he was today. Don’t remember him being that bad previously. 
  • useless fucker
  • Simon Church level of ineffectiveness. 
  • useless fucker
    Succinct and to the point.

And hard to disagree with!
  • I did say I’d rather we sign no one as then he isn’t an option and today confirmed that for me 
  • No goals now since January 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember him being able to run the channels and put pressure on the defenders. Now he looks like he's running through treacle. Kanu would probably do the same, if not better job.
  • Macauley Bonne Bonne Bonne,
    Where’s he gone gone gone?!?!?

One shot shortly after coming on as a sub for his second debut and apart form that you’d barely know he’d made another appearance if you hadn’t seen the team sheet. 

Look, there’s no surprises here - he’s much the same player we sold to QPR. One thing he could never do effectively was play lone striker. He never was great at holding the ball up and bringing others into it, and he won’t engineer chances for himself like Chuks and Miles can occasionally do. 

He might do a bit more with one of those two alongside him, but until all 3 of our strikers are fit, which may never happen, I don’t foresee us being able to start with two up top. It why I was one saying we needed another striker after Stockley left. 

He might have been the best we could get, but he was also never going to be good enough. He’s another one of our many “nearly men”. If he was any one of a bit quicker, or stronger, or more skillful, or faster, then he might be a handful but he seems easy enough for jobbing league one centre backs to fold up and stick in their back pocket.

Just like when Stockley was being no less effective, it seriously handicaps our ability to build attacks.

I also just hate watching him play because he frustrates me so much, he’s just not very bright and makes the wrong decision, or gets caught offside etc. far too often. 

Case in point was late in the game today, when they’re trying to waste as much time as they can, he challenges their keeper for a ball he was never winning, treads on the keeper’s foot, and allows them to waste some more time. Not the end of the world but just symptomatic of his general dimwittedness.

There’s just so little to enjoy about watching us at the moment. 
  • Playing a line role is tough enough .. but when you don’t get a single chance created by the players around you it’s going to be tougher .. that’s what happening same as it did with Stockley people attacked Stockley but it’s the same problem .. Bonne got better movement but .. fact is our wingers are not good enough to play this system today both Raki and CBT had enough of the ball and opportunities to create chances but failed to muster a single one 

that’s where the problem is not the lone striker whoever may play that role 
  • He is an absolute joke. Time and time again he made the wrong runs. He  actually turned in to Stockley and was waving his arms about when a pass didn’t go where he wanted it (never mind that he would never have got there anyway)

When the 12 mins of added time was shown, I said to my Son “let’s go I can’t face watching Bonne for another 12 minutes”

He is no goal threat whatsoever - not even in the  shooting drill in the warm up. 
  • He is an absolute joke. Time and time again he made the wrong runs. He  actually turned in to Stockley and was waving his arms about when a pass didn’t go where he wanted it (never mind that he would never have got there anyway)

When the 12 mins of added time was shown, I said to my Son “let’s go I can’t face watching Bonne for another 12 minutes”

He is no goal threat whatsoever - not even in the  shooting drill in the warm up. 
    That moment in the 2nd half when Fraser played the wrong ball...Bonne made exactly the worst possible run, which made the ball extremely difficult. Fraser should have shot, of course, but Bonne's movement was just so dunderheaded
  • Does make me laugh that the black box apparently came up with Bonne in August (rather than him just being an average ex-player) then in 5 months it couldn't find a single better alternative.

Just try again with Bonne....
  • There is no comparison to Stockley, who is a far superior player, purely based on the fact that he is very good at a single thing (heading).

Bonne on the other hand has no distinctive traits to his game, whatsoever. He’s just….there.
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Ready for the stat...

Bonne has scored 1 goal in his last 40 games. 
    This may be true

But what is also true is last time in league 1 he scored 12 league goals which lets face it is more than any if our players this season and 1 less than what Stockley got last season 

Meaning he can score 

However as with Stockley we are not playing to his strengths, well will this club and our managers(i really like Holden but he is getting this wrong) learn we need to play 2 upfront

1 upfront doesn't work, it didn't work with Stockley and its not working with Bonne.

We play best with 2 upfront, we looked slightly better when Aneke and Bonne were up top together 

Bolton
    Derby
    Plymouth
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Barnsley 

All the best teams in this league play 2 up front, I have been saying it all season and will carry on saying it till im blue in the face

We won't get anywhere playing 1 up front
    When did 12 goals in a 46-game League One season become a good return for a striker?

Rak-Saki has scored 9 in 26 and he plays on the wing.