Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• The black box and infatuation with former players combined landed us with another misfit for the system our management want to use. The only way Bonne may get a goal or two is if we switch to a formation with 2 up front, but I don’t think any of our 2-3 former managers trust the quality of any given pairing in centre midfield to risk going to a 2 in that area, which leaves us with 1 up front. Dobbo is the only one who can be consistently relied upon to tackle and pass in midfield. 

As others have said this is all on TS and MS and their pathetic belief that they are playing football manager. F*ck the f*ck off please, your money or not, you are football novices to the extreme and failing yourselves let alone the club’s fans miserably. 
  • Last scored a goal in January 2022 for Ipswich at Gillingham. His confidence has gone. Needs one of his arse like his goal against Leeds back in 2019
  • shirty5 said:
    Last scored a goal in January 2022 for Ipswich at Gillingham. His confidence has gone. Needs one of his arse like his goal against Leeds back in 2019
    I’m sure he’s low on confidence but I suspect it’s going to take more than a lucky goal to turn around his fortunes. He’s not looking remotely like a league one striker. 
  • He was shit the first time we signed him and now he is worse.

However he is the caliber of player we can afford and who wants to come to us while we are in the mess we are in.

I have not seen anything from our January signings to say we have improved over those we sold, all we have done is slash the wage bill because the new ones are cheaper 
  • What concerns me as much as Bonne’s lack of form is just why we’ve been pursuing him for probably a year. We tried very hard in the summer and just failed to sign him and it seems he’s been on our radar for many many months. Who has been scouting him or even looking at his recent record ? He’s absolutely awful and doesn’t look like it’s a dip in form either. If and when we get new owners I think amongst the very many other areas that need addressing, our recruitment teams needs a long hard look. 
    Kirk also pursued over time... and DJ? Think there was another, too... none have really worked out. Bit weird 
  • What concerns me as much as Bonne’s lack of form is just why we’ve been pursuing him for probably a year. We tried very hard in the summer and just failed to sign him and it seems he’s been on our radar for many many months. Who has been scouting him or even looking at his recent record ? He’s absolutely awful and doesn’t look like it’s a dip in form either. If and when we get new owners I think amongst the very many other areas that need addressing, our recruitment teams needs a long hard look. 
    Kirk also pursued over time... and DJ? Think there was another, too... none have really worked out. Bit weird 
    I realise that working within tight monetary constraints would make things difficult but some of our signings are difficult to fathom. Being generous I think wingers like Kirk and DJ are always difficult because invariably they are massively inconsistent but players like Bonne and Lavelle in particular are strange.
  • Fcuking useless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    He was shit the first time we signed him and now he is worse.

However he is the caliber of player we can afford and who wants to come to us while we are in the mess we are in.

I have not seen anything from our January signings to say we have improved over those we sold, all we have done is slash the wage bill because the new ones are cheaper 
    I can't accept that he's a symptom of what we can afford. We have decent resources in this league compared to the average. We're frequently outperformed or at least matched by clubs with less budget than us. They seem to find better players for less, we seem to find shit players for more. This all just boils down to having one of the worst recruitment departments in the country. It has spunked 1.6 million pounds up the wall in recent seasons while a team like Bolton has spent one fee in three years (380k) and are miles ahead.want
    Perhaps all the best free transfers and out of contract players are up north and do not want to move (our) south 🤣

The Steve Gallen little book of contacts. 

Perhaps if he relieves them of a crap player they might let him have a good loan later 🤔

We’ll……we shouldn’t be surprised, that was the whole idea!
    😤
    Because he was cheap
  • edited February 2023
    kafka said:
    What concerns me as much as Bonne’s lack of form is just why we’ve been pursuing him for probably a year. We tried very hard in the summer and just failed to sign him and it seems he’s been on our radar for many many months. Who has been scouting him or even looking at his recent record ? He’s absolutely awful and doesn’t look like it’s a dip in form either. If and when we get new owners I think amongst the very many other areas that need addressing, our recruitment teams needs a long hard look. 
    Because he was cheap
    That’s probably true but he still surely comes under scrutiny as to his ability to play football at the required level. There would have been umpteen “strikers” playing at lower levels just as cheap and probably just as good. If our scouting and player assessment team thought this bloke was good enough then they need to be sacked pdq. To be fair. Most of the posters on here thought him to be less than what’s required first time around and this.
  • I’m certainly not in the Bonne camp but i think the system we play doesn’t help the centre forwards. Stockley went from a goal scorer to non existent when the Garnerball was introduced. Aneke doesn’t look too comfortable either when the ball just gets hoofed up to him. 🧐
  • I'm not an admirer of Bonne, but I think I'd struggle to score 6 goals a season if I was playing up front in our current team.
    Put me in the Man City team however, and I'd be disappointed if I couldn't get a dozen goals in the course of a season.
    I'm 57 btw.
  • edited February 2023
    Lets be clear - I too think Bonne is hopeless. But I do actually have a bit of sympathy for him given he is being asked to play effectively a loan striker role (and sympathy for anyone else asked to play that role here).

As one or two others have said above, he is just not suited to play a loan striker role. It is hardly surprising therefore he is so crap at it. Stockley was equally unsuited to the role and it finished him here. Aneke was hopeless trying to play the role the other night.

Miles Leaburn is the only striker we have who can remotely play it. And he's  a special talent who won't be here next season.

1 goal in 42 games is awful. Unless we change the role Bonne is being asked to play Bonne is going to finish the season with one goal.
    I wish I could share your sympathy but he's being asked to play the role he was signed to play. It's the same one he played at Ipswich. If he can't play it then why is he here?

I personally don't think it's the position, or needing a partner - i.e. it's not lack of suitability it's just lack of ability. We have to stop making excuses for poor players. 
  • kafka said:
    What concerns me as much as Bonne’s lack of form is just why we’ve been pursuing him for probably a year. We tried very hard in the summer and just failed to sign him and it seems he’s been on our radar for many many months. Who has been scouting him or even looking at his recent record ? He’s absolutely awful and doesn’t look like it’s a dip in form either. If and when we get new owners I think amongst the very many other areas that need addressing, our recruitment teams needs a long hard look. 
    Because he was cheap
    That’s probably true but he still surely comes under scrutiny as to his ability to play football at the required level. There would have been umpteen “strikers” playing at lower levels just as cheap and probably just as good. If our scouting and player assessment team thought this bloke was good enough then they need to be sacked pdq. To be fair. Most of the posters on here thought him to be less than what’s required first time around and this.
    If they need to be sacked, what would the punishment be for the QPR scouts who sanctioned a £2m fee for him? Perhaps come and work for us which I feel is a greater punishment than being sacked by us 

• Sponsored links:

As for January, I'd love to know how much Mr Scott trousered for doing very little.

Book? Probably only a page.
  • edited February 2023
    The 2nd coming of Bonne will be in the mix when the conversation comes up in years to come about 'Worst Charlton XI'. 

I know it may sound like hyperbole, but he is genuinely that hopeless.

Simon Church / Pawel Abbott levels of ineffectiveness up front. 
  • Chunes said:
    Lets be clear - I too think Bonne is hopeless. But I do actually have a bit of sympathy for him given he is being asked to play effectively a loan striker role (and sympathy for anyone else asked to play that role here).

As one or two others have said above, he is just not suited to play a loan striker role. It is hardly surprising therefore he is so crap at it. Stockley was equally unsuited to the role and it finished him here. Aneke was hopeless trying to play the role the other night.

Miles Leaburn is the only striker we have who can remotely play it. And he's  a special talent who won't be here next season.

1 goal in 42 games is awful. Unless we change the role Bonne is being asked to play Bonne is going to finish the season with one goal.
    I wish I could share your sympathy but he's being asked to play the role he was signed to play. It's the same one he played at Ipswich. If he can't play it then why is he here?

I personally don't think it's the position, or needing a partner - i.e. it's not lack of suitability it's just lack of ability. We have to stop making excuses for poor players. 
    Just because he's being asked to play it, that doesn't mean he can. He isn't a target man, and i'm confident if you looked back at his career his best seasons would've been when he played alongside a strike partner. Albie Morgan is asked to be a number 10, Sean Clare is asked to be a right back. Doesn't mean they're good at the role.

We simply don't get enough service to our strikers. Even Haaland would probably be a passenger for us as if you're not getting the ball to him in the box, what would he be doing? 

If we played Bonne up with Aneke or Leaburn i'm confident we'd see better results. But if you're going to play him up there by himself then you might as well not play him at all.
  • edited February 2023
    He was shit the first time we signed him and now he is worse.

As for January, I'd love to know how much Mr Scott trousered for doing very little.
    It would if his main task was to get players out on high wages.
  • edited February 2023
    cafctom said:
    The 2nd coming of Bonne will be in the mix when the conversation comes up in years to come about 'Worst Charlton XI'. 

I know it may sound like hyperbole, but he is genuinely that hopeless.

Simon Church / Pawel Abbott levels of ineffectiveness up front. 
    Every striker goes through a real tough barren patch. No matter what they seem to do they can’t get a goal. The difference though is that those barren spells the player is still getting in the right positions, still making the right runs and still contributing to the overall performance. Sadly with Macauley I don’t see any of those three things. I do feel sorry for him because it’s not his fault he’s not up to the required standard. No one to be blamed except the scouting that brought him first to us, a worthwhile punt back then and then on to QPR for stupid money. Can’t blame the lad one jot. As far as our recruitment is concerned I think we have to do better and ask questions.
  • Chunes said:

It's a fair question you ask. But your concerns should be targeted at our recruitment team, not Bonne. Why did they resign him knowing as they must he can't play a loan striker role effectively.

• He wasn't great on Saturday, but no way near as bad as some have made out. He won a few headers, and created our best chance for JRS with one. 
  • Carter said:
    I feel sorry for him to be truthful, the service whoever ofnplaying centre forward for us gets is appalling. He gets on the end of crosses, he did it before and he did it for Ipswich, how many good or even half decent crosses went into the box from us on Saturday? 

I know he annoys people with how often he gets caught offside and that irritates me but you have to remember he is playing or trying to play off the last defender. Its worthwhile if we gave him any decently weighted through balls, but he is playing off scraps 
    Exactly this scrub out his name put Stockley, Aneke or any other we just don't offer enough going forward for our striker to contribute