Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    People losing their shit over this is laughable, it's Alfie May, we have lost proper players in the past . He handed a transfer request that is enough for me, he didn't want to be at Charlton, end of, we move on and get players who do want to be at Charlton
    This .. Charlton Athletic Football Club will always be a fixture. Players come and go. Alfie is just one of those players that have come and gone. We move on … up the Addicks 

• Options
    felix_31 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    I'll be completely honest, I'm not that gutted.  Harder to bond with players when the team and season in general is so shite. I'd rather have goals from across the team.  The only thing that bugs me: surely we could have asked for a higher fee.  Read somewhere that Birmingham have a budget of £20m?  Surely we could have started at £3m for the league's top scorer.  We signed Arose for £500k ffs! 
    a 31 year old that had never played above this level and you wanted £3m?

£1m is about right IMO. 
    Yes, because apparently 'we don't need to sell.'  And I didn't say take £3m - make that your asking price and bring it down, but end higher than £775k, which is what he was sold for - not £1m.  Which is £275k more than we paid for Nicky Ajose.*  Unfortunately this is the culture at CAFC - overpay and undersell.  

*Having done some research, apparently it was £800k.  Good grief. 
    Even 800k is a decent fee in League One, only players going into the championship really go for more. 

Ajose scored 24 in the season before we signed him, so £500k would have been a steal if he replicated that season. He was also much younger at 24/25. 
  • Options

@SDAddick

You wrote:

3) What is his best ROLE? Not position, but role? Because he's not quite an on the shoulder of the last man attacker, but he's not a back to goal striker. There's a lot of movement, but not always a lot of outcome from it. He can't play up front on his own. He probably isn't technical enough for a 10. A lot of his goals came from him playing as a 10 or wide right, even if a lot want to forget that.
    4) He doesn't really lead the press and he doesn't win the ball back, contrast that with Kanu. And if you can't lead the press and you can't play up front on your own or with your back to goal, you're in an awkward situation where you need to be accommodated for. And he scores enough goals to be accommodated for, but put this together with 3 above and you start to see how he could be an awkward fit in a squad.
    5) He's not the most tactically advanced footballer. As a result, there's a lot of running but it's not the most effective running, especially when working the channels. 

OK, thanks for that, plenty for me to think about there. 

My immediate reaction is, that might be a view through the prism of someone who watches a lot of what we now call elite football, which I rarely do nowadays. But we are not at that level, overall.And then I have some questions: 

- he wasn't signed to play up front on his own. It was going to be 3-5-2, wasn't it, and when the other one of the two was Miles, that looked briefly like a terrifying combo. Do you understand what structure Jones is building? Presumably not a front 2?  In hisstructure, where are the goals expected to come from? 
    - He doesn't really lead the press? Very modern phrase. What does it mean, for the benefit of someone old enough to have seen Derek Hales? If you mean chasing down apparent lost causes, and not giving defenders a moment's rest, maybe you might want to review his debut game against Orient, when he was also required to play up front on his own.
    - I think you (and @Callumcafc) have a better overview of other team squads and individuals than I. So how do you reckon Huddersfield (and now Birmingham) planned to use this "awkward fit" they've shelled out so much money for?
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    I'll be completely honest, I'm not that gutted.  Harder to bond with players when the team and season in general is so shite. I'd rather have goals from across the team.  The only thing that bugs me: surely we could have asked for a higher fee.  Read somewhere that Birmingham have a budget of £20m?  Surely we could have started at £3m for the league's top scorer.  We signed Arose for £500k ffs! 

£1m is about right IMO. 
    Yes, because apparently 'we don't need to sell.'  And I didn't say take £3m - make that your asking price and bring it down, but end higher than £775k, which is what he was sold for - not £1m.  Which is £275k more than we paid for Nicky Ajose.*  Unfortunately this is the culture at CAFC - overpay and undersell.  

Even 800k is a decent fee in League One, only players going into the championship really go for more. 

Ajose scored 24 in the season before we signed him, so £500k would have been a steal if he replicated that season. He was also much younger at 24/25. 
    You're completely ignoring inflation and to a lesser extent the point - we have a chronic history of overpaying and underselling.  We do not know how to maximise the return on our assets; there has been so much wastage over the years.  Apparently we signed Ajose for £800k.  How can May be worth less 8 years later?  In relative terms it's hideous.  Birmingham and Hudds are loaded.  We should have exploited that. 
    Apologies I thought Ajose was £500k. 

I agree May should have gone for more than we bought Ajose for 8 years ago. 
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Can’t remember another player making such an impact in such a short space of time.
     Thank you and good luck Alfie.
    Super Clive.
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:

£1m is about right IMO. 

You're completely ignoring inflation and to a lesser extent the point - we have a chronic history of overpaying and underselling.  We do not know how to maximise the return on our assets; there has been so much wastage over the years.  Apparently we signed Ajose for £800k.  How can May be worth less 8 years later?  In relative terms it's hideous.  Birmingham and Hudds are loaded.  We should have exploited that. 
    Apologies I thought Ajose was £500k. 

I agree May should have gone for more than we bought Ajose for 8 years ago. 
    So did I - I looked it up and almost cried - or maybe more accurately winced in pain -  I remember the optimism when we signed him!  Well and truly done over by Swindon...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When you support a team at this level, never get attached to a player. And that goes double with Charlton because of our owners....
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    When you support a team at this level, never get attached to a player. And that goes double with Charlton because of our owners....
    Three of the players I mentioned were at the time when we were in the PL though, Trev...  
  • Options
    Thanks for your insights @Swisdom. Having read them I’m happy to accept that family is indeed a major factor here. 

@fenaddick for the post, especially the link to the Jones vids. I’ll take a look at them before commenting further on Jones v May.
  • Options

That's just silly money, and he clearly had to take it as his last big pay day contract, 20k per week is huge in his situation...🙄
  • Options
    edited July 3
    CAFCTrev said:
    Three of the players I mentioned were at the time when we were in the PL though, Trev...  
    Wasn't aimed at you mate, just being general.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another figure of 11k was mentioned, still nice money if true.
  • Options
    All a bit contrived.....didn't want to be here so go.......don't need players who don't fancy it
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    They saved loads on the transfer fee, so they thought they could splash out wages wise! 😉
  • Options
    SLP pod worth a listen 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    ????????? Not the owners who made the call