Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Can we take the fee off the subject, else all clubs are going to get wind that we are absolutely loaded!!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/cheltenhams-alfie-may-undergoing-medical-ahead-of-charlton-athletic-move/

It's clearly a sign of intent. He has a proven goalscoring record at this level. He's quick. I don't know how well he would do playing up front on his own, but we'll see. 

I think this would be a more sensible signing than Lavelle, Aneke, or DJ. 

My concern with all of our big signings has been "how does he fit into the team and system?" Given we have one senior striker who can be relied upon (and who is currently hurt), and a lot of talent out wide, I suspect we'll be playing with a lone striker, and I don't know how May would do as that. 
    I can see us getting another striker in and moving to 3-5-2. It was arguably that on the second half on Saturday with Kirk up front with Kanu. That would give us May, Leaburn and another as our main strikers with opportunities for Kanu and probably Casey at some point. If we get any minutes from Chuks that's a bonus.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too, and that's what what Holden tried to play when he first came in, and at times last season.

That being said, I don't know what role that would leave for Campbell, CBT, and if we keep DJ or Kirk. I know Campbell and CBT have played wingback, but it's not natural for either of them, and I worry we'd be back to putting squad pegs in round holes as we did under JJ.

Being able to play more than one formation is definitely something every team should be able to do. I just feel once bitten, twice shy about this club's ability to recruit to a system and way of playing. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Looks great! If we can sign him hopefully he can replicate this for us.
  • Options
    Can't be true

I mean especially if there is a fee involved because if you believe certain people "we won’t pay a fee for anyone and it will just be loans and free transfers no one else wants again" 😉
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Are.we there yet…???
  • Options
    Doesn't score many tap ins does he!
    Reminds me, dare I say it, of Marcus Maddison.

Where have all the Mendoncas gone?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/cheltenhams-alfie-may-undergoing-medical-ahead-of-charlton-athletic-move/

It's clearly a sign of intent. He has a proven goalscoring record at this level. He's quick. I don't know how well he would do playing up front on his own, but we'll see. 

My concern with all of our big signings has been "how does he fit into the team and system?" Given we have one senior striker who can be relied upon (and who is currently hurt), and a lot of talent out wide, I suspect we'll be playing with a lone striker, and I don't know how May would do as that. 
    I can see us getting another striker in and moving to 3-5-2. It was arguably that on the second half on Saturday with Kirk up front with Kanu. That would give us May, Leaburn and another as our main strikers with opportunities for Kanu and probably Casey at some point. If we get any minutes from Chuks that's a bonus.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too, and that's what what Holden tried to play when he first came in, and at times last season.

That being said, I don't know what role that would leave for Campbell, CBT, and if we keep DJ or Kirk. I know Campbell and CBT have played wingback, but it's not natural for either of them, and I worry we'd be back to putting squad pegs in round holes as we did under JJ.

Being able to play more than one formation is definitely something every team should be able to do. I just feel once bitten, twice shy about this club's ability to recruit to a system and way of playing. 
    I don't think Kirk and DJ have a future here what ever formation we play.

Tupac isn't 20 until after the season starts and was probably over played a bit last season due to complete lack of options, it would be nice this season if we played him because we can, not because we have to.

CBT is well worth keeping around even if you aren't playing wingers/wide forwards because there will be a lot of times over the season where you either want pace off the bench or to bring an extra attacking player on during the game.  He would get plenty of minutes even if he didn't regularly start.  Like Payne did last season.

Even with the signing of May, now confirmed, and Dabo we still need 7 more first team players and we won't be able to second guess what the plan is, assuming there is one, until 4 or 5 of them are through the door.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:

Tupac isn't 20 until after the season starts and was probably over played a bit last season due to complete lack of options, it would be nice this season if we played him because we can, not because we have to.

CBT is well worth keeping around even if you aren't playing wingers/wide forwards because there will be a lot of times over the season where you either want pace off the bench or to bring an extra attacking player on during the game.  He would get plenty of minutes even if he didn't regularly start.  Like Payne did last season.

Even with the signing of May, now confirmed, and Dabo we still need 7 more first team players and we won't be able to second guess what the plan is, assuming there is one, until 4 or 5 of them are through the door.  
    Do we?

If you assume that regardless of formation AMB/Isted, Dabo, Jones, Hector, Dobson, Fraser, May and Leaburn will usually start then we need probably 3-4 more 'first team' players.

Anyone else will likely be squad players. We'll almost certainly get a couple of PL loans as well i think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t really want to speak for you or anyone else, but maybe you’re just interpreting “first team” as “first choice eleven”, whereas maybe others consider “first team” to be those in the matchday squad.
    Either interpretation is valid imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    We were 3 or 4 first team quality players short last season, menaing we played to many of the flakey not good enough squad players. It didnt get us promoted. It wont again this year. As has been said, the squad players need to be of that starting 11 quality if theres to be any real top end challenge. 

Alfie May, an increasingly injury prone Leaburn, an already injury prone Aneke and Kanu isnt  even good enough for a constant 1 up top formation. 

CBT, Kirk, DJ, Payne and Campbell were 5 of our 6 wingers/ wide players last season, with two bombed out and most likely to be again. 

we need a lot more work to be done, May is a step in the right direction for sure, but, i'll hold off a little longer before requesting a promotion street party from the comunidad Madrid. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:

Do we?

If you assume that regardless of formation AMB/Isted, Dabo, Jones, Hector, Dobson, Fraser, May and Leaburn will usually start then we need probably 3-4 more 'first team' players.

Anyone else will likely be squad players. We'll almost certainly get a couple of PL loans as well i think.
    We need another FB/WB, CB, 2 CM's and 2 attacking players minimum on top of May and Dabo. 
  • Options
    What makes this signing maybe the most important and significant in our recent history, for me, is that it all but confirms we're not a basket case. At least in my mind. For a while I was wondering
  • Options
    May be.
    Or may be not...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What makes this signing maybe the most important and significant in our recent history, for me, is that it all but confirms we're not a basket case. At least in my mind. For a while I was wondering
    I'm not sure it does to be honest. It's not a huge fee and he wants to move back South London/Kent. We were always the obvious choice. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:

Do we?

We needed 
    3 full backs/wing backs
    1 center back, which we have now got
    2 center mids
    And 3 forwards one of which we have got.

There is no point signing players at the same level of the likes of Clare and Morgan else we might as well have kept them.

That was assuming Kirk, Lavelle and DJ all play no part, if other senior players leave we will need even more.  

• Options
    It isn’t official yet, but I hope it happens.
    Has always impressed me, I hope he can maintain his form and fitness.
    If Leaburn ever gets fit the two together could just be reminiscent of the great days of Tees and Tracey.
  • Options
    we need our starting XI this season to contain at least 5 new faces to stand a chance of building a promotion winning side
  • Options
    Spoke to the Doncaster fan at work, for those saying I hope we get the Cheltenham may instead of the Doncaster may, he said that he rated may really highly and was sad to see him go, should have had a lot more goals than he got.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm still expecting 6-7 signings in excluding May

1xRB (probably Dabo)
    2x LB
    1x box to box type CM that can be a regular starter
    2x Strikers to allow for injuries. 

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'm still expecting 6-7 signings in excluding May

1xRB (probably Dabo)
    2x LB
    1x box to box type CM that can be a regular starter
    2x Strikers to allow for injuries. 

Certainly expect at least one other Midfielder, given we were after that Ipswich lad who has re-signed for Leyton Orient on loan
  • Options
    From his video montage (yeah I know) he looks ideal. Scores goals from six metres and twenty five metres and creates his own chances. Live wire who will give defenders the run around. Needs another goal threat playing alongside him though. He’ll create a lot of space for his partner. Having a Bonne with him won’t cut it. Sadly I think Miles would have been the perfect foil. Seems Ipswich are not keen to offload Ladepo so who do we go for ? Smith ? Would he work ? Kanu isn’t ready yet. We need to sign another.
  • Options
    Does this feel like a paul benson type signing? Lots of funfair and drawn out signing of lower league goalscorer, who we probably won't play to their strengths, all for 250k...

maybe i'm just being incredibly cynical.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Does this feel like a paul benson type signing? Lots of funfair and drawn out signing of lower league goalscorer, who we probably won't play to their strengths, all for 250k...

For me it doesn’t and I don’t think Benson was good enough to lace my boots let alone Alfie Mays 😉.
  • Options

May has a very high work rate and definitely works best in a 3-5-2 but he’s not the sort of player you build your team around. I suspect that formation is Holdens first best option so I’m guessing that providing we sign two quality wing backs that May will do just fine. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Watching that video he is exactly what we have been missing. Very composed 1vs1. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time in the box and can also get in behind. I also like that in 2vs2 situation he drives at the defender and tries to get the shot away. Proper goal scorer and exactly what we have been missing. He also is not scared to take a dig outside the box either. Based on the evidence of the past two seasons no Charlton fan can be unhappy with this signing. 250k is a reasonable fee as well. About bloody time.

Lets hope he doesn't get Charltonized instantly xD
  • Options

Maybe let's just wait and see before we apply a tag?