Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Interesting!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Most goals by a Charlton player (All Competitions) from start of season to 31st December 

25 - Pearce - 1933
    20 - Whitlow - 1928
    20 - Allen - 1934
    20 - Horsfield - 1972
    18 - Leary - 1955
    18 - Hales - 1976
    17 - Firmani - 1954
    17 - Flanagan - 1977
    17 - May - 2023 (Up to 28/11)

With 7 possible games in December, Alfie could more than likely be up to 2nd in the above list with a small chance of getting passed Cyril Pearce as well. 
    The fact that we have to go back five decades to find any player as successful as Alfie says it all. His tally for the last two seasons to the year end were just 6 and 10 respectively and he found the net exactly the same number of times post December for each of those seasons - 16 times. Happy days if he were to do the same again! 
  • Options
    Has now scored 66 goals since the start of the 21/22 season so less than 2.5 seasons. Incredible player at this level.
  • Options
    Has now scored 66 goals since the start of the 21/22 season so less than 2.5 seasons. Incredible player at this level.
    Absolutely. And with a fantastic attitude and workrate to match.

If only he was a natural penalty taker.   :)

• Options
    Mind you his movement and anticipation under pressure to nick his goal last night, proper poacher's goal. 

Always in the right place at the right time.
    That's because he plays with his brain.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Mind you his movement and anticipation under pressure to nick his goal last night, proper poacher's goal. 

Always in the right place at the right time.
    That's because he plays with his brain.

Expect when it comes to talking penalties.
  • Options
    Last 10 Charlton Athletic players to score 15 or more league goals in a season 

23/24: May - 15
    22/23: Rak-Sakyi - 15
    20/21: Aneke - 15
    18/19: Taylor - 21
    11/12: Wright-Phillips - 22
    05/06: Bent - 18
    99/00: Hunt - 24
    97/98: Mendonca - 23
    94/95: Whyte - 19
    93/94: Nelson - 15
  • Options
    No coincidence that Taylor, BWP, Hunt & Mendonca all get 20+ and promoted.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That trend is going to end this season...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Not if Alfie gets himself a season ending injury next weekend it won't...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Well with a bit of luck that won’t be the case
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

Alfie May became the fastest player to reach 20 goals for Charlton in all competitions in 51 years on Saturday.

That milestone was last reached in 1972/73 by Arthur Horsfield, who, like May, did so in 30 appearances. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/where-alfie-mays-scoring-ranks-charlton-history

King Arthur, my hero at the time.

And one of the nicest blokes to talk to, after he was sat next to me on the plane back from the Club's Tunisia trip in 1975

Who did we play out there?

A cracking trip that, I applaud you.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

Alfie May became the fastest player to reach 20 goals for Charlton in all competitions in 51 years on Saturday.

That milestone was last reached in 1972/73 by Arthur Horsfield, who, like May, did so in 30 appearances. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/where-alfie-mays-scoring-ranks-charlton-history

And one of the nicest blokes to talk to, after he was sat next to me on the plane back from the Club's Tunisia trip in 1975

Bournemouth, Swindon and the Spanners. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

Millwall Swindon and Bournemouth ,.. it was a great trip 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Some chap on twitter saying exactly that today 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

And we'd just won promotion from the Third Division 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 19
    Swisdom said:
    Massive congratulations to Alfie and Lauren on the birth of their new baby.
    A brother to their two little boys.

born 2 days ago and he’s absolutely gorgeous 👶
    Congratulations, Alfie & Lauren.

That's our star striker, who won't get a proper night's sleep until the end of the season :) 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Massive congratulations to Alfie and Lauren on the birth of their new baby.
    A brother to their two little boys.

born 2 days ago and he’s absolutely gorgeous 👶
    Congratulations to the Mays.
    I hope this doesn't mean Alfie's form falls off a cliff like many players who's partners have just given birth.
  • Options
    If Alfie May scores against either Portsmouth or Derby he will be the first Charlton player to score at least 1 league goal in every month of the season up to February since Roy Matthews in 1963/64.

Matthews scored in every month until March, but failed to find the net in April. The only other player to score up to and including February is Dennis Edwards. He scored at least 1 league goal in every month for the entire season in 1960/61.
  • Options
    He had a kid recently I think? I hope sleepless nights aren't hitting him too hard as we need that bright and clinical version of Alfie until the end of season.