Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Does this feel like a paul benson type signing? Lots of funfair and drawn out signing of lower league goalscorer, who we probably won't play to their strengths, all for 250k...

maybe i'm just being incredibly cynical.
    For me it doesn’t and I don’t think Benson was good enough to lace my boots let alone Alfie Mays 😉.
    Benson gets a lot of grief but he ended up getting 10 in 32, a goal every three games which really isn't that bad. He wasn't a very good all round footballer but we've had much 'better' strikers with much worse goalscoring records than him. He was our second top scorer in 10/11 behind Jackson. I remember him quite fondly as a player a bit out of his depth who delivered more than a lot of other strikers we tried to drag up to our level because we couldn't afford to get any proper players in
    Another player we signed for "reasons" and hoped for the best.  Now he would never have been Haaland but he scored most of his goals for Dagenham from crosses and we didn't have the players who could do that.  As soon as we signed one we upgraded on Benson anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Does this feel like a paul benson type signing? Lots of funfair and drawn out signing of lower league goalscorer, who we probably won't play to their strengths, all for 250k...

For me it doesn’t and I don’t think Benson was good enough to lace my boots let alone Alfie Mays 😉.
    Benson gets a lot of grief but he ended up getting 10 in 32, a goal every three games which really isn't that bad. He wasn't a very good all round footballer but we've had much 'better' strikers with much worse goalscoring records than him. He was our second top scorer in 10/11 behind Jackson. I remember him quite fondly as a player a bit out of his depth who delivered more than a lot of other strikers we tried to drag up to our level because we couldn't afford to get any proper players in
    Not disputing his goal return or the standard of players we were able to attract at the time but I'm afraid we differ on the ‘bit’ out of his depth observation. Any way let’s leave it there and not take the thread off on a tangent.
  • Options

Swings and roundabouts
  • Options
    the May v Benson comparison is a bit odd, Benson hadn't done it outside League 2, and looked like a Non player, where May has done well in this League and looked the part
  • Options
    I assume they are making some sort of signing video before finally actually announcing it
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/cheltenhams-alfie-may-undergoing-medical-ahead-of-charlton-athletic-move/

It's clearly a sign of intent. He has a proven goalscoring record at this level. He's quick. I don't know how well he would do playing up front on his own, but we'll see. 

I think this would be a more sensible signing than Lavelle, Aneke, or DJ. 

My concern with all of our big signings has been "how does he fit into the team and system?" Given we have one senior striker who can be relied upon (and who is currently hurt), and a lot of talent out wide, I suspect we'll be playing with a lone striker, and I don't know how May would do as that. 
    I can see us getting another striker in and moving to 3-5-2. It was arguably that on the second half on Saturday with Kirk up front with Kanu. That would give us May, Leaburn and another as our main strikers with opportunities for Kanu and probably Casey at some point. If we get any minutes from Chuks that's a bonus.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too, and that's what what Holden tried to play when he first came in, and at times last season.

That being said, I don't know what role that would leave for Campbell, CBT, and if we keep DJ or Kirk. I know Campbell and CBT have played wingback, but it's not natural for either of them, and I worry we'd be back to putting squad pegs in round holes as we did under JJ.

Being able to play more than one formation is definitely something every team should be able to do. I just feel once bitten, twice shy about this club's ability to recruit to a system and way of playing. 
    I don't think Kirk and DJ have a future here what ever formation we play.

Tupac isn't 20 until after the season starts and was probably over played a bit last season due to complete lack of options, it would be nice this season if we played him because we can, not because we have to.

CBT is well worth keeping around even if you aren't playing wingers/wide forwards because there will be a lot of times over the season where you either want pace off the bench or to bring an extra attacking player on during the game.  He would get plenty of minutes even if he didn't regularly start.  Like Payne did last season.

Even with the signing of May, now confirmed, and Dabo we still need 7 more first team players and we won't be able to second guess what the plan is, assuming there is one, until 4 or 5 of them are through the door.  
    Do we?

If you assume that regardless of formation AMB/Isted, Dabo, Jones, Hector, Dobson, Fraser, May and Leaburn will usually start then we need probably 3-4 more 'first team' players.

Anyone else will likely be squad players. We'll almost certainly get a couple of PL loans as well i think.
    I think this is about right - as well as those 9 you mentioned you've got most likely in and around those; Ness, Egbo, Thomas, Mcgrandles, Payne, CBT, Campbell, Kanu which brings the "first team squad" up to 17 so yeah 3 or 4 more - LBs, attacking MF and another striker. 

Be amazed if its as many as 7.
  • Options
    Waiting to announce take over and Alfie signing?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Benson wasn't bad - he battled well and scored. Compare him to Burton a better footballer who got similar goals per game. 18g/59games
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    the May v Benson comparison is a bit odd, Benson hadn't done it outside League 2, and looked like a Non player, where May has done well in this League and looked the part

Players like Benson need a service. We didn't give it to him and didn't play to his strengths.

Yet  he still scored 10 in 32 games.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He played against us for Doncaster in the PO semi finals in 19/20. 
  • Options
    had a little read of the Cheltenham forum, not happy with the fee they got for him. Is may a Charlton fan? 
  • Options
    My observations, albeit limited, last season was he was a player always looking to make things happen and with an eye for goal. He definitely adds goals to the team which is fine by me. I am minded of Superclive who spent his years playing for lowly Grimsby and joined us when he was 29 didn't he? 
  • Options
    I assume they are making some sort of signing video before finally actually announcing it
    Alfie May training with the team this morning so expect something after that
  • Options
    Remember we nearly lost Kins to Gillingham, if May is half the player that Kins was, I’ll take that.
  • Options
    Benson was decent for us. But the issue was we spunked our entire transfer budget to get him, which seemed extravagant at the time. I think there were clauses for extra payments on appearances so he was bombed out. No issue with that really as we upgraded significantly, but he definately wasn't shit. Peterborough away (he didn't score in the 5-1 but ran the show) and of course Carlisle away (4-3). He'd have scored goals in SCPs team. Having said that, hopefully May is more Yann than Benson!
  • Options
    Whilst we have all been taught to be followers of WIOTOS I am happy to react to Richard Cawley's tweet a couple of hours ago that it's done and that he had his medical last night.

After all we don't operate in the right echelons to be waiting on tweets from Fabrizio Romano.

COYA
  • Options
    My observations, albeit limited, last season was he was a player always looking to make things happen and with an eye for goal. He definitely adds goals to the team which is fine by me. I am minded of Superclive who spent his years playing for lowly Grimsby and joined us when he was 29 didn't he? 
    Add Lyle to that even if he is a prick. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signed a 2 year deal I’m hearing. 
  • Options
    Signed a 2 year deal I’m hearing. 
    2 year with option of an extra year 
  • Options
    I’ve heard from earlier posts he’s signed a two year deal with an additional 12 months option.
  • Options
    Maybe they are waiting on another signing to announce it as a double whammy!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Maybe they are waiting on another signing to announce it as a double whammy!
    Charlton would like to wish Miles Leaburn all the best with his new venture at Crystal Palace 
  • Options
    I've heard it's a 36-month deal, except the last one-third of that is simply optional