Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    edited April 28
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Jones prefers bigger strikers
    Does he? - Looking at his previous Luton sides, he's opted for a May / Wickham style line up
    Luton in the championship had Morris and Adebayo. In league 1 they had James Collins and Danny Hylton

They are all strikers that can do a bit of everything. Strong enough that they can hold the ball up but also mobile enough to run the channels. I think Jones is going to love Leaburn as he is in that mould, so I really hope we can keep him and get him on a new contract 

Danny Hylton was only 5ft 11in... Alfie May is 5ft 9in - Agree with what you say about Leaburn though, really hope we can keep him fit, especially with what Methven was saying about the Brighton bloke who has joined the club.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Jones prefers bigger strikers
    Does he? - Looking at his previous Luton sides, he's opted for a May / Wickham style line up
    Luton in the championship had Morris and Adebayo. In league 1 they had James Collins and Danny Hylton

They are all strikers that can do a bit of everything. Strong enough that they can hold the ball up but also mobile enough to run the channels. I think Jones is going to love Leaburn as he is in that mould, so I really hope we can keep him and get him on a new contract 

Danny Hylton was only 5ft 11in... Alfie May is 5ft 9in - Agree with what you say about Leaburn though, really hope we can keep him fit, especially with what Methven was saying about the Brighton bloke who has joined the club.
    I reckon Alfie May is 5ft 6.5 
  • Options
    Alfie is of the opinion Jones doesn’t rate him and that’s been from early on in Jones’s tenure .
    Yep, Alfie is s***, he's only scored 80 goals in three seasons :#
    It'd be a very brave decision to flog May IF Jones does not want him.
  • Options
    Alfie looked happy enough when he emerged after the final whistle yesterday to give something to the crowd.

It was ridiculous transfer business in January to not bring in a target man striker, as with Leaburn out, Chuks too fragile to start games, and the hapless Tedic sent back, we had a gaping lack of one (and a crazy surplus of midfielders). Jones tried to rectify this with Wickham, but he's been as fragile as Chuks.

Having Wickham up front at Cambridge gave us a physical presence to bully the defenders, whereas yesterday we were desperately lightweight up top until Chuks came on, with their number 5 Forino constantly knocking Kanu off the ball. We desperately missed Wickham yesterday, and I wonder how many more goals Alfie would have scored if he has been able to play with a target man striker since January.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He’ll be sold in my opinion. It’s never really looked like NJ has rated him. 

Personally he won’t have my support next season if he offloads our best player just so he can get his chums from Luton back
    It's about the end result isn't it? I don't want May to go but if he does and we end up getting promoted then, well, who cares? 
    You don't sell your best players, particularly the goalscorers.
  • Options
    The problem is....Nathan prefers to play with two bigger boys up top.  Alfie is 30-31 years old now and if they can make a profit on him it would be seen as good business from a balance sheet perspective.

I don't agree with it but that's how I see it.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He’ll be sold in my opinion. It’s never really looked like NJ has rated him. 

Personally he won’t have my support next season if he offloads our best player just so he can get his chums from Luton back
    It's about the end result isn't it? I don't want May to go but if he does and we end up getting promoted then, well, who cares? 
    You don't sell your best players, particularly the goalscorers.
    Well you might if they’re going to a higher level and the player and club both benefit but I can’t see that any Championship club going after Alfie at his age so selling him to a rival league one club would be madness on a truly Charlton level. 
  • Options
    Jones has used him sparingly to try out different things/have a plan b. Chill people

how many of our many recent managers have been criticised for not having a plan b?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Alfie isn't sold as he seems to be becoming a real fan favourite. He is also a different type of striker to the others so would be useful in squad rotation.

I was a big fan of Ladapo from his exploits at Ipswich and Rotherham,but accept that he joins Marcus Maddison ,Patruice Camara, Scott Fraser and Ben Watson in the category of players we have seen play well against us but then never delivered in an Addicks shirt. It's a shame because if at his prime he would have been a perfect fit.

I like Wickham, but am nervous about his injury record. I agree with the sentiment of inviting him back pre season and note over the last few years he has sometimes signed six month contracts. I agree ( like Aneke) he would be playing at a higher level if it wasn't for injury.
  • Options
    Along with George Dobson, Alfie and him are the only 2 Charlton players to start 40 or more League games this season 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The problem is....Nathan prefers to play with two bigger boys up top.  Alfie is 30-31 years old now and if they can make a profit on him it would be seen as good business from a balance sheet perspective.

Profit / good business / balance sheet perspective 

yep all very relevant to us slumming it constantly in the third tier 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Leaburn and Bonne up front together next season?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I can’t believe £250k is all we’ve got to spend on players over the summer.
    Where did that little nugget come from please? 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Someone making a joke on the previous page of this thread…
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Leaburn and Bonne up front together next season?
    You mean Carl? He's a big lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to be honest, Jones told him at HT yesterday he was useless and hadn’t done anything so was coming off. 

Heard that his missus is keen to move back Doncaster way as well. 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Plaaayer said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to be honest, Jones told him at HT yesterday he was useless and hadn’t done anything so was coming off. 

Heard that his missus is keen to move back Doncaster way as well. 
    First i've heard of that and I chat to her more frequently than most on here.
    I've got a funny feeling you may have been whoosed here!
  • Options
    995632 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Someone making a joke on the previous page of this thread…
    Mind you it was a belter if I say so myself!

• Options
    Brown mentioned post-match that he hopes he is wrong but has a feeling Jones will possibly move May on this summer. 
    Did he say if it was based on anything?
    No, just a feeling. Brownie did add that he hoped he was wrong. 
  • Options
    I heard via Alfies non league connections that Jones doesn't rate AM 
  • Options
    With how NJ and the club are talking there is no way on this earth we have only 225k more like 2.5m