Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**** Charlton Life Battlefield Tour No.4 - Amiens - Saturday 6th to Monday 8th July 2024 ****

Right, now for the big announcement of the evening, forget that takeover nonsense for a minute.

Charlton Life Battlefield Tours Inc. will be embarking on their 4th mission from Saturday 6th to Monday 8th July 2024.

Following on from successful trips to Ypres, The Somme and last year, Normandy, we shall this time be visiting the area around Amiens focussing on the British successes of 1918.

Clive will be along in the next few days to flesh out the itinerary a bit. As usual we will try and incorporate places of specific interest to anyone in the area if advised well in advance.

At this early stage it isn’t possible to be too specific on cost as coach prices and Eurotunnel fees are unavailable but I would not expect it to exceed £130 per person to include coach hire fees, coach driver accommodation and meal costs, Eurotunnel fees and as usual a donation to The Upbeats/Museum.

At this point I am just looking for expressions of interest and those who express an interest now will be the first contacted around mid to late September at which point deposits of £50 per person will be required to secure your place/places. If after deposits are paid it transpires that there isn’t sufficient interest for the trip to be viable then all deposits will be refunded in full. Once we know the trip is viable and we have committed to coach hire fees etc then deposits cannot be refunded unless there is someone on any waiting list to take your place.

However, if you wish to ensure yourself of a place on the trip now then I am happy to accept deposits so please message me for the bank details.

We would be looking as usual to depart Charlton around 6am Saturday morning picking up at Ebbsfleet enroute with a final return to Charlton around 8pm on the Monday.

Clive Harris (our guide), myself and the coach will be based at the Moxy Amiens (29/33 Rue Paul Tellier). This will be the pick up and drop off point in Amiens. Other hotels, B&B’s, apartments etc of varying prices are available but please be mindful of booking somewhere central and that you will need to be at the Moxy to pick up the coach each morning. At this stage I’d advise against paying any non-refundable costs up front just in case.

Finally, we are aware that Saturday 7th July is European Championship Quarter Finals day but there are plenty of bars in Amiens and what’s better than watching the football with a bunch of mates eh?

Any questions please ask here or PM me and if I can’t answer I’ll ask Clive to.

Up The Addicks,

thanks for reading,

Neal Target

Comments

• Options
    "Following on from successful trips to Ypres, The Somme and last year, Normandy, we shall this time be visiting the area around Amiens focussing on the British successes of 2018".

I missed this, presumably Brexit related?
  • Options
    "Following on from successful trips to Ypres, The Somme and last year, Normandy, we shall this time be visiting the area around Amiens focussing on the British successes of 2018".

I missed this, presumably Brexit related?
    already edited but thanks for pointing out my deliberate mistake 😉
  • Options
    There’s always one isn’t there….
  • Options
    Oh bollox, it’s my wife’s 50th birthday that week so won’t be able to make it. Gutted, they’re always fantastic trips. Amiens is a nice place as well. 
  • Options
    Oh bollox, it’s my wife’s 50th birthday that week so won’t be able to make it. Gutted, they’re always fantastic trips. Amiens is a nice place as well. 
    Tell her you’re be down the pub anyway watching the Euros so you might as well go.
  • Options
    Tell her you're taking her to France for her birthday?
  • Options
    Aye
  • Options
    Best announcement of the day.
  • Options
    Two spots please.
  • Options
    One for me please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d like one place please.
  • Options
    Hi Neale can I have three places. Let me know when deposit has to be paid and I will pay straight away
  • Options
    all those above expressing an interest I will contact mid to late September for deposits unless you want to pay now in which case message me and I'll provide the account details.
  • Options
    I'm interested. Been on two of these and they are great. 

• Options
    I’m in. Just one place at the moment. Thanks. 
  • Options
    Definitely keen.  Somewhere between 2-4 people. Waiting to hear back from a couple.
  • Options
    Man up
  • Options
    Hi Neil,
    Two places please.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Hi Neil,

I'm trying to be there with some Germans as usual. Can't wait for interesting stories from @SE7toSG3
  • Options
     And it’s a definite expression of interest from me please. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hoping to make this along with @Cardinal Sin. Need to liaise. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for organising this..what a shame, just looked at my works calander and  its my 12 hour nights weekend so will be unable to go. But for those that do make it, have a great weekend.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Definitely interested.

Was on an earlier tour at Ypres with Glass Half Full,  the late Hants Addick and the German Addicks, and I learnt so much. 

The info was first class and the experience is not to be missed

• Options
    Definitely interested.

Was on an earlier tour at Ypres with Glass Half Full,  the late Hants Addick and the German Addicks, and I learnt so much. 

The info was first class and the experience is not to be missed

The bloke on the phone doesn’t look that interested.
  • Options
    Tell her you’re be down the pub anyway watching the Euros so you might as well go.
    I’m sure that will work mate!! 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I'm in 1 place please
  • Options
    Buglehorn said:
    I'm in 1 place please
    I thought it was an established fact no one can be in two places at once 😆
  • Options
    This lad lived in Woolwich and worked at Woolwich Dockyard Station, and happens to be my great uncle. So if you are going that way, may something to chat about or visit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arthur_Henry_Cross&oldid=1097304254
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    This lad lived in Woolwich and worked at Woolwich Dockyard Station, and happens to be my great uncle. So if you are going that way, may something to chat about or visit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arthur_Henry_Cross&oldid=1097304254
    That's fascinating, I know of Arthur's story from a couple of random perspectives, he served alongside Charlton's Albert Purdy in the First Surrey Rifles before transferring to the MGC and that Arthur's VC was worn by David Niven in the film Carrington VC. David Niven's father was killed at Gallipoli in August 1915 with the Berkshire Yeomanry and his son, an ex soldier himself, felt strongly that a replica shouldn't be worn so your uncles was used. 

It's not to far from our route home on the trip so we can pop to Ervillers and tell his story on the Monday, I didn't know he had a Woolwich connection, there's not a day where I don't learn something new so thanks for sharing.           
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    His wife and family were killed in a bombing during WW2
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/5022603
    From IWM