Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karoy Anderson

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    He is still very raw and needs a loan. He runs around, challenges but his decision making is poor. Still 1,000 times better than when Appleton was around. 

Shame, if Appleton hadn't destroyed us, he would be learning his trade in a team going through the motions and not a relegation battle. He isn't to blame for that.
    If Anderson needs a loan what does that say about Watson, Fiorini etc who can’t even make the bench?

Anderson has improved us in a way those two didn’t appear able to. He’s one of those young players who for me doesn’t need a loan, he’s shown he’s good enough to learn here.

I’d agree if we were fighting for promotion as he’d likely be nowhere near starting, but he’s in the team because he’s offering more than other players, despite his weaknesses. 
    They won't be here next season, Anderson will be and im glad that an academy player is getting minutes over a loan but If we stay up and Anderson is the mainstay of our midfield, we will be in trouble. He needs to be managed otherwise he won't develop. One of the reasons for his dip in form was too much too soon.

we potentially have a player on our hands here, let's develop him properly. 
    So where do you want Anderson sent on loan?
    Which manager do you think will improve him more than Jones?
    Remember L2 loans can't be recalled, so I'm presuming you're thinking of a non league club like Bromley will improve him?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He is still very raw and needs a loan. He runs around, challenges but his decision making is poor. Still 1,000 times better than when Appleton was around. 

Shame, if Appleton hadn't destroyed us, he would be learning his trade in a team going through the motions and not a relegation battle. He isn't to blame for that.
    If Anderson needs a loan what does that say about Watson, Fiorini etc who can’t even make the bench?

Anderson has improved us in a way those two didn’t appear able to. He’s one of those young players who for me doesn’t need a loan, he’s shown he’s good enough to learn here.

I’d agree if we were fighting for promotion as he’d likely be nowhere near starting, but he’s in the team because he’s offering more than other players, despite his weaknesses. 
    They won't be here next season, Anderson will be and im glad that an academy player is getting minutes over a loan but If we stay up and Anderson is the mainstay of our midfield, we will be in trouble. He needs to be managed otherwise he won't develop. One of the reasons for his dip in form was too much too soon.

Remember L2 loans can't be recalled, so I'm presuming you're thinking of a non league club like Bromley will improve him?
    I'm talking about next season. I'm hoping that Jones will be allowed to bring in players he wants to replace the crap (Fiorini, watson) which means he will have limited game time.  I think a loan will do him good for a year
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Scoham said:

I'm talking about next season. I'm hoping that Jones will be allowed to bring in players he wants to replace the crap (Fiorini, watson) which means he will have limited game time.  I think a loan will do him good for a year
    Yes I know.
    So as I said which non league team do you think will improve him better than Nathan Jones?
    (He's previously been on loan at Aldershot and lives in Whyteleafe).
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I agree, I wasn’t saying he should start every game. My point was he’s offering something now and could be part of a stronger squad next season, hopefully one challenging for promotion from this league. Not every young player needs a loan.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    I recall Wilder when he first took over Sheff Utd. They had one really decent player and the rest were athletic units. That got him promoted from League One and he improved the side from there. Now having units that are decent footballers is preferable, but the point is that you can't get out of this league with too many soft players in terms of how they compete and their fitness levels.
  • Options
    He is already showing good signs of football intelligence.  During the game yesterday, Portsmouth were about to start a move, Anderson spotted the danger, ran back and dropped in next to Reg (I think) to close down the space and stop them from breaking down our right-hand side.  I said to my son that this was an example of the things he does that often go unrecognised - he didn't make a tackle or get on the ball but stopped their attack in its tracks.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Scoham said:

Yes I know.
    So as I said which non league team do you think will improve him better than Nathan Jones?
    Why does it have to be non league and not league 2? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Yes I know.
    Why does it have to be non league and not league 2? 
    As I said L2 loans can't be recalled at short notice, which we might need if we have injuries.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Yes I know.
    I wouldn't loan him to a non league team.  i would loan him to a L2 team where he will be involved with a first team squad.  I think next year, he will be used here for cup games and as injury and suspension cover which will not aid his development.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Yes I know.
    I wouldn't loan him to a non league team.  i would loan him to a L2 team where he will be involved with a first team squad.  I think next year, he will be used here for cup games and as injury and suspension cover which will not aid his development.
    If the board stick with the 888 plan it’s hard to see how Anderson won’t be part of that.

Same if he keeps performing for Jones. If he’s continues doing well in L1 this season then L2 next season will be a step down. I wouldn’t write him off continuing to play a big part and improve further next season (but giving him rests to avoid overplaying him).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 26
    A couple of years back Adigun was rated as highly as Anderson.  He is now in his last year of his contract and on loan at Welling.  I hope he is given another contract and comes good in the same way as Anderson.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones style of play suits Anderson much better than Appleton in that it plays towards his natural strengths of energy, pressing, etc.  However even in the last couple outings, where he has been good, Karoy is still not very good in possession. It hasn’t been exposed because he is playing a little farther up the pitch with two holding midfielders covering behind him.  Until he develops that side of his game, he is not a starter for a team with promotion ambitions.  Now for the rest of this season, his energy and effort might be exactly what we need to help avoid relegation but next year I imagine he will be more in a reserve role
  • Options
    Nathan Jones style of play suits Anderson much better than Appleton in that it plays towards his natural strengths of energy, pressing, etc.  However even in the last couple outings, where he has been good, Karoy is still not very good in possession. It hasn’t been exposed because he is playing a little farther up the pitch with two holding midfielders covering behind him.  Until he develops that side of his game, he is not a starter for a team with promotion ambitions.  Now for the rest of this season, his energy and effort might be exactly what we need to help avoid relegation but next year I imagine he will be more in a reserve role
    I would say he is pretty good, the reason it looks like he isn't, as he tries to be brave on the ball, and try to make passes others won't, or take the ball under a lot of pressure. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Karoy is 3rd in the squad for assists, despite only playing in 14 games. Think he's got more quality on the ball than he's shown recently.
    Agree, even at the start of the season, he was being slightly harshly treated by Charlton fans.. Do you know what it reminds me of, when Dobson first joined us, a number of fans didn't rate him at the start, then was out of the team, then when he come back in to the team, fans got behind him
  • Options
    Anderson is the personification of what Jones is trying to do, his work ethic his second to none in the squad. He wins headers, battles all match, makes defensive and offensive runs that go unnoticed. Will be some player, hopefully at Charlton.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Karoy is actually very good on the ball - the areas people are not so impressed with are 1 - his passing and 2 - getting caught in possession

1 - Passing - If you try to be more expansive you will have a higher percentage of failed passes.  Playing him further forward means he has someone else to tidy that side of things.  Not really a problem in my eyes as we need someone to try to be creative

2 - Caught in possession - Karoy is used to playing U21/U23 football where he has more time.  The best way to get up to speed is to get experience.  I'd rather it was with us than someone else.

He's an excellent player and is getting better every game.  His feet are incredibly skilful, he can pass with any part of his foot, has great energy and plenty of bite too.  He's going to be a very very good player and I want it to carry on in our shirt for a while.  His relationships with Danu and especially Asiimwe are great to see.  These boys could easily be the future of Charlton so let's encourage them and help them along
    100% this, I would go as far to say when he is caught on possession, it is when he is taking the ball in a tight space with players tight to him, being brave on the ball, no issue with that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally different player to the one that played vs Lincoln. 2 weeks ago he hid, slow to react and was poor. 

Yesterday he was excellent and had a desire to get on the ball, was quick to react to the 2nd ball and got better as the game progressed. Much like his performance up at Bolton by all accounts. Great to see and long may it continue! 
    I don't think that's quite true. He never hid, he was just being asked to play an unfamiliar role with little prep time and didn't figure it out straight away. As the Lincoln game wore on he started having more of an impact and when the game got very bitty he won a huge number of headers that were popped up from clearances. He just needed a bit of time to acclimatise  
  • Options
    Totally different player to the one that played vs Lincoln. 2 weeks ago he hid, slow to react and was poor. 

Yesterday he was excellent and had a desire to get on the ball, was quick to react to the 2nd ball and got better as the game progressed. Much like his performance up at Bolton by all accounts. Great to see and long may it continue! 
    I don't think that's quite true. He never hid, he was just being asked to play an unfamiliar role with little prep time and didn't figure it out straight away. As the Lincoln game wore on he started having more of an impact and when the game got very bitty he won a huge number of headers that were popped up from clearances. He just needed a bit of time to acclimatise  
    Played very well in the last 2 games but was not up to speed and it showed in my opinion v Lincoln 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Played very well in the last 2 games but was not up to speed and it showed in my opinion v Lincoln 
    Must have watched a very different game to you.. Would like to see the stats for the game, in terms of passes, complete passes, tackles won and how much ground was covered.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

Must have watched a very different game to you.. Would like to see the stats for the game, in terms of passes, complete passes, tackles won and how much ground was covered.
    All about opinions Dubai. I know what I witnessed that night from behind the goal 
  • Options
    Watched a different game to the majority.
    Statbank for Karoy
    Lincoln 5.88
    Bolton 7.65
    Portsmouth 7.5
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Karoy is actually very good on the ball - the areas people are not so impressed with are 1 - his passing and 2 - getting caught in possession

1 - Passing - If you try to be more expansive you will have a higher percentage of failed passes.  Playing him further forward means he has someone else to tidy that side of things.  Not really a problem in my eyes as we need someone to try to be creative

2 - Caught in possession - Karoy is used to playing U21/U23 football where he has more time.  The best way to get up to speed is to get experience.  I'd rather it was with us than someone else.

He's an excellent player and is getting better every game.  His feet are incredibly skilful, he can pass with any part of his foot, has great energy and plenty of bite too.  He's going to be a very very good player and I want it to carry on in our shirt for a while.  His relationships with Danu and especially Asiimwe are great to see.  These boys could easily be the future of Charlton so let's encourage them and help them along
    Different type of CM but Aribo took a while really show his close control and ability with the ball. Early on I felt he was a tidy midfielder but I wasn’t sure how he’d progress. I can see Anderson showing his ability on the ball more as he settles more into first team football and keeps growing in confidence.
  • Options
    If he continues his current trajectory of his progress under Jones then I definitely want him as part of our squad next season rather than out somewhere on loan (particularly if it was a L2 loan and we couldn’t recall him). 
  • Options
    Watched a different game to the majority.
    Statbank for Karoy
    Lincoln 5.88
    Bolton 7.65
    Portsmouth 7.5
    That is what fans have voted.. More interested in actual stats of that game. 
  • Options
    Okay, according to whoscored.com against Lincoln, he had our 2nd best rating behind Freddie, who scored the goal. He made the most tackles in the game, 2nd highest passer, success-rate wasn't that great, and that has improved in the last 2 games, but he has attempted less passes in the last 2 games and had less touches of the ball... More interestingly that who scored.com rated him higher in the Lincoln game, than Charlton fans have rated him in the last 2 games! 
  • Options
    Fotmob falls between both groups of views: