Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CONFIRMED - Terry Taylor - Signs on a 3 year deal

Comments

• Options
    For comparison’s sake, against the rest of the team

(Wildig led chances created for Newport with 3)

The issue with those stats are they are heavily weighted in favour of players who take set pieces, every cross from a corner or FK is considered a chance created.
    Agreed, we had a number of late corners and set pieces which he took. I'd like to see the number of chances he created from open play, which would be a far better comparison.
  • Options
    Sort of the forgotten man currently.
    Long contract with us.
    I don't know enough to have an opinion, but he hasn't exploded onto the scene that's for sure.
  • Options
    There could be a problem with signing unfit players but we don't seem to have worked that out yet. 
  • Options
    Why is it taking so long to get him up to speed
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chunes said:
    Why is it taking so long to get him up to speed
    Our players aren't the fittest at the best of times. No idea what they do in training but something doesn't seem right. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Like McGrandles he was injured when we signed him and was rushed back to a half baked team. I really hope fans show more patience than they did with McGrandles but I won’t hold my breath. 
    Oh yes the fans that sent him out on loan at the first opportunity.  
  • Options
    Did players always take so long to get fit and did we always allow them the excuse of “didn’t have a pre season” ? I don’t remember it .
  • Options
    Needs a loan imo
    Cambridge have already made a bid to take him on loan in January...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Needs a loan imo
    Yep, agree. McGrandles always plays better out on loan.

• Options
    A goal of the next manager should be to build around players like Taylor. He is a good deep lying playmaker who can also break up play. Holden's refusal to play him on Saturday was baffling. But with the way Holden played, we bypassed the midfield a lot and didn't give Taylor a chance to run things. 

My biggest question for Taylor is how he and Dobbo fit into the same midfield. I'm thinking it's as a double pivot in a 4-2-3-1. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Taylor and Dobson played alongside each other against Vale and it didn't look like a promising partnership.
  • Options
    Taylor and Dobson played alongside each other against Vale and it didn't wasn't a promising partnership.
    It seemed to force Dobson to play more like Morgan last season, getting forward more and attempting more long and forward passes, rather than do what he's best at.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    A goal of the next manager should be to build around players like Taylor. He is a good deep lying playmaker who can also break up play. Holden's refusal to play him on Saturday was baffling. But with the way Holden played, we bypassed the midfield a lot and didn't give Taylor a chance to run things. 

My biggest question for Taylor is how he and Dobbo fit into the same midfield. I'm thinking it's as a double pivot in a 4-2-3-1. 
    Taylor and Dobson played alongside each other against Vale and it didn't look like a promising partnership.
    Perhaps Taylor played deep because he's not yet properly match fit, and Dobbo could be more mobile putting in the hard yards?

Just because they are both capable of playing the same position, doesn't have to mean they are in competition with each other for the same role.
    And as SDA suggested above, a new manager will have his own formation, systems and ideas how to perhaps accomodate both.
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever seen Dobson play well for us in a double pivot.  
  • Options
    Trying to hold off judging him bit Taylor looked absolutely pony that day
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Croydon said:
    Trying to hold off judging him bit Taylor looked absolutely pony that day
    Played in Asiimwe on the right hand side who should have a shot from 10-15 yards but tried to cross it instead if I remember right. A couple of dangerous corners into the six yard box that no-one attacked too.

I thought there was enough there IMO.

He’s going to have a difficult job forcing Dobson out of the side but never say never.
  • Options
    I do think Taylor will be absolutely fine in the long term given he hasn't played since Feb, but I do wonder where he fits in as he looks to be another deep lying playmaker type, not sure if he can play higher up the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think at the moment Terry is the least of our problems.
    He's not a problem, but it's a waste having an excess of players in the same position, when there are glaring gaps elsewhere
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think I have ever seen Dobson play well for us in a double pivot.  
    Fair, although from memory he did it at the start of the season under Adkins and has Clare next to him and Albie in front of him as the 10. That was also a time when we bypassed the midfield and lumped it up to Stockley up front on his own. Even back then I felt like he was the least of our worries, and he should have much, much better midfield partners this year with Taylor, Camara, and Fraser.

We'll see. I think those are four good midfielders for this level, but as with many things with this squad I don't entirely know how it fits together. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    My overriding memory of Dobson in a double pivot is him getting caught out of position at MK Dons and them scoring a goal off of it.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If we sign a proper right back who can get up and down id like to see us play

----------------------AMB
    *NEW* - Hector - Jones - Edun
    -------------------Dobbo
    ---------Taylor ---------Camara
    -------------------Fraser
    ----------Leaburn ---- May

I don’t think Fraser is best as a 10, he’d be on the left, Camara on the right with Chen Campbell as the 10 if we wanted to set the team up this way
  • Options
    Dobson in a double pivot with a 10 in front has never really worked. But him and Fraser did do well in a 2 in a 4-4-2 for Garner for a run of games until Leaburn got injured and it all went wrong 
  • Options
    Taylor can be Dobson’s deputy this season, and fill in for Camara or Fraser in more advanced roles if they aren’t fit. 

Dobson might leave next year so that’s maybe where we’ve for once thought ahead and got our replacement in now so that he’s settled and ready to go next season 
  • Options
    Early days, but so far I can't say I've been overwhelmed with Terry Taylor. I can't work out what he's meant to bring to the team.
  • Options
    No idea if he'll work out but you're right, it's early days - I'm not going to judge a guy after two starts.

Don't forget Dobson had a very.slow start.under Adkins, as an example.