Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Abankwah signs on season long loan from Udinese - gone back (p7)

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    An unused substitute as Ireland U21 beat Turkey U21 3-2.
    So he can't get in the Ireland Under 21 side?
    In a competitive game?
    Oh my.
    Charlton Athletic in player only on the fringes of U21 international team shock. We should be deeply ashamed. 
  • Options
    Right foot, left foot and head.
    Good.
  • Options
    Imagine how supaclive will feel when he finds out Louie Watson played for Ireland's U21s but has never been called up to the senior squad
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    An unused substitute as Ireland U21 beat Turkey U21 3-2.
    So he can't get in the Ireland Under 21 side?
    In a competitive game?
    Oh my.
    why is this such a bad thing ?
    Shouldn't we be pleased he is in the squad ?
  • Options
    Reminds me of that video of Polish Pete scoring in training, and Powell standing at the side shouting: "Oh Lewandowski"
  • Options
    Anyway, be good to see The Hawk Naba get his chance with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have Udinese struck a deal with us over social media posts?

Tweeting about a player a hell of a lot who is yet to make an appearance for us and isn't exactly a known entity 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    starting tonight @supaclive
    Great he's getting injured isn't he
  • Options
    Have Udinese struck a deal with us over social media posts?

Tweeting about a player a hell of a lot who is yet to make an appearance for us and isn't exactly a known entity 
    it’s the international break so not much other content for them to be putting out. They’ve tweeted a similar amount for Thomas and AMB too but depends on what they’re sent by the federation I guess 
  • Options
    Looks very composed and aggressive.
    Shoe in to do his knee tonight 
  • Options
    Is he injured?
  • Options
    Bit of a concern if he's not good enough to get near the squad.
    The question remains , who actually signed him?
    Holden had left so I'm guessing Scott?

I think competition for places at centre back is poor tbh. This Kid, Elewere and Ness are not at the levels to put any pressure on Jones or Hector and I think Hector especially needs competition to keep him at the top of his game.
  • Options
    He will get a go at CB some time. 
  • Options
    After Wycombe it's probably best that he's just out of the squad for a bit as he had a terrible afternoon. If Ness is fit I don't see Abankwah getting on the bench. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was only playing at RB as an emergency measure, with Watson unfit and Asiimwe injured. 

In the CB pecking order, he's behind Ness and probably Thomas (when not required to play LB) as cover, and fighting with Elerewe.
  • Options
    I imagine he gets an unders game this week, and if he doesn't he'll get a start against Aston Villa in the irrelevant cup
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    We might yet find that Abankwah becomes 1st choice RB. Think back to Jay Dasilva; he hardly played, then looked very raw when he did play.....but became our No.1 left-back and went onto more good things. Plus players can learn new positions and they often do, so I wouldn't give up on Abankwah yet. 
    Dasilva was a LB though, so was playing in his normal position. Abankwah at best will only be a Terrell Thomas type full back cover, rather than the more attacking player most teams require these days.
  • Options
    The question remains , who actually signed him?

I think competition for places at centre back is poor tbh. This Kid, Elewere and Ness are not at the levels to put any pressure on Jones or Hector and I think Hector especially needs competition to keep him at the top of his game.
    The lad is just 19 and already played 2 League games out of position. Hardly a time to judge him.

By contrast, Lucas Ness was already a year older before he made his League debut and went on to settle down and have a fine rest of season.
    It's generally accepted that CBs need to develop physically and mature later than players in other positions.

Abankwah is highly rated by his club and I don't suppose he's costing us very much in loan fees/wages.
    And at 19, he's not even going to upset squad limit numbers.

He's no doubt here for experience and learning. And if's involved in the squad and gets a senior game every so often, everybody is happy.

• Options
    The question remains, who actually signed him?

Does it? Of course it's Scott. Nothing mysterious about that. That's his job isn't it? If you think he's poor at it, why not say so?

I don't expect all signings to work out, but way too early to write off anyone signed this summer. Have you seen any that have impressed you yet though, and who do you think signed them?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Simonsen said:
    We might yet find that Abankwah becomes 1st choice RB. Think back to Jay Dasilva; he hardly played, then looked very raw when he did play.....but became our No.1 left-back and went onto more good things. Plus players can learn new positions and they often do, so I wouldn't give up on Abankwah yet. 
    Dasilva was a LB though, so was playing in his normal position. Abankwah at best will only be a Terrell Thomas type full back cover, rather than the more attacking player most teams require these days.
    Like I say...players can adapt to new positions. At 19, it might be too early to say what a player's best position is. Dijksteel was a midfielder originally but got his chance at RB. We are led to believe that Abankwah has great pace, so that ought to be an asset and based on what I saw last night, he definitely looks stronger in the air than T. Watson. 
  • Options
    The Hawk Naba will come good 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I imagine he gets an unders game this week, and if he doesn't he'll get a start against Aston Villa in the irrelevant cup
    Is that not during the international break so he won't be around?