Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer, Rowett or Jones.
  • Options
    And for posterity, chilling…

• Options
    Rowett, Jones or Pearson would be fine, all have managed at levels above us and recently. 
    Appleton managed in the championship last year…
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Rowett, Jones or Pearson would be fine, all have managed at levels above us and recently. 
    Appleton managed in the championship last year…
    Well that's my hopes dashed for all 3 then
  • Options
    How about ex-Charlton legends that are currently in a managerial role - Claus Jensen!!

From this article

"In 2015, Jensen and two other Danish celebrities (a chef and a comedian) invested in Danish lower-league side Nykobing with a view to get the side promoted to the Danish Superliga by 2020. The former footballer was appointed sporting director/general manager of the club but took on the head coach role in 2020."

He's got what it takes to work with our SMT

https://www.premierleagueheroes.com/claus-jensen/

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Best Man, Andy Woodman of Bromley FC  Quite successful last three seasons.

or 

Chris Powell

Why not Curbishley
  • Options

Be careful what you wish for!
  • Options
    Please don't place silly suggestions on here.  We know what happened last time!
  • Options

Following the departure of Michael Appleton as Men’s First-Team Head Coach, the Board of Directors wanted to update the club's supporters. Please see the update below:

Our current league position and form over the last two months is not good enough and does not match the ambition and investment of the club’s owners or the expectations of us as a Board, the club’s staff and you, the supporters.

To arrest our recent form the decision has been taken to relieve Men’s First-Team Head Coach Michael Appleton and Men’s First-Team Coach Richard O’Donnell of their respective roles.

Our search for the club’s next Men’s First-Team Head Coach is under way. Given our current position and the ambition of everyone at the club, it is vital we get the right appointment to lead Charlton forward. 

In the meantime Curtis Fleming will take interim charge, supported by Jason Pearce and Stephen Henderson. Curtis is a very experienced coach while Jason and Stephen have a real understanding of the club given their history as players at Charlton.

While appointing a new Head Coach is a key priority, we are also well aware that there is just over a week left in the January transfer window. We have already signed seven players this month and we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week. The transfer activity will be overseen, as it has been throughout January, by the club’s Technical Director Andy Scott. 

We would like to thank you for your continued, passionate support and assure you that everyone at the club is working hard to turn things around on the pitch. Your support will play an important role in helping us finish the season as high up the table as possible.

• Options

or 

Chris Powell

Why not Curbishley
    Not Powell and Curbishley said before his days of being involved in football is over he happy what he doing now 
  • Options

or 

Chris Powell

Why not Curbishley
    Not Powell and Curbishley said before his days of being involved in football is over he happy what he doing now 
    Curbs is our only hope !!!
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    He had to go, it was clear a few games ago! However now he's gone we need to move on, rapidly!
    We need a man manager, who is a good coach that instlls pride in the shirt and, more importantly, themselves. We do have the players to get us to safety, but we need a manager who has been there and done it at this or Championship level. So for me it's between Jones, Duff, or even Warnock. If it's either of the first 2 I'd ask AC to oversee as an experienced 'old head'. As for Scott he has to get this right or he should also fall on his sword/sacked. 
    Next few days are crucial in the future of our once great club....the clock is ticking!
    Can someone explain to me what Duff has actually done to even begin to be in consideration? Barnsley should have been a club in the play offs, they were Championship the year before and had a strong squad. He's had two half decent seasons in League One and suddenly he's one of the best choices for us? Not convinced.

We need to get out of this mess. We have the players, we need a manager they want to play for and who has a bit of gravitas about him to get them playing. 

Jones seems to be the most capable out there, Bowyer also isn't employed and we know about him. Let's not have a punt on someone who 'might' be good. There's been too much of that. 
    He took a Cheltenham side that had never been above L2 and had been finishing at the lower end of that up to L1 and made them competitive at that level, turning Alfie May into a goal machine along the way in a 352 and having Cheltenham to their highest ever finish. Cheltenham being in L1 let alone surviving there was completely unprecedented, it's a really big deal for them. Barnsley are a weird club. They have rich owners who will not spend and rely on selling their best players every season and bringing new ones in. They didn't have a strong squad; only one of their top 6 appearance makers from the previous season were still there in 22/23 and they lost all their goalscorers. They lost Cauley Woodrow and replaced him with Slobodan Tedic. Duff turned Devante Cole from a non-goalscoring striker into a machine (familiar theme there). They keep their good players on average for about two years before a better team comes in for them and they go and need to be replaced, and their first window in 22/23 was pretty much entirely free transfers and loans just like ours was in Garner's first window. They finished 4th with 86 points and lost in the play-off final at the death against a Sheff Weds team who finished on 96 points, which would have won them the league every year going back to 2017/18. We were 10th on 62. Other than his disappointing brief spell at Swansea a league up that's his whole career, there aren't long periods of failure in amongst the successes. That's why he's seen as a good choice, we're actually fairly similar to Barnsley in the frustrating transfer operations and lack of team stability but they made a much better fist of it under Duff than we have in years.
    UP ( the) DUFF ! 

He'll do for me.
    Any sign of a Tingle..🙄
    Sadly, not even a miniscule "itch" .....

But thanks for asking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh god - it's going to go wrong and we will go down if we hire someone on the chance they might be good. Non Charlton connection hires have NEVER worked in my lifetime. I am a data guy, and i dont like what the historic data is telling me here!

I am more than happy to take a chance on a Duff / Jones at the start of the year. Hire someone like that now and 100% guaranteed we are gone.

My position is clear, but what way it goes who knows? 

We need something special that gets the fanbase rocking - that much I know. We arent good enough to stay up on the pitch - we need a major spirit in the stands to get the job done.
    Hi Damo you really think that we don’t have a good enough squad to stay up ? I agree that we are in a relegation fight now but surely that’s not down to quality ? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oh god - it's going to go wrong and we will go down if we hire someone on the chance they might be good. Non Charlton connection hires have NEVER worked in my lifetime. I am a data guy, and i dont like what the historic data is telling me here!

I am more than happy to take a chance on a Duff / Jones at the start of the year. Hire someone like that now and 100% guaranteed we are gone.

We need something special that gets the fanbase rocking - that much I know. We arent good enough to stay up on the pitch - we need a major spirit in the stands to get the job done.
    Who would unite the majority of the fanbase? Bowyer doesn’t want to come back (confirmed by Cawley) and Powell doesn’t want to be a manager anymore (confirmed by Powell himself in an interview a few months ago).

I don’t see Pearce, Jackson, Euell etc having the same impact on the fans. I don’t see Curbs as the answer either.

Who would you be happy with?

Warnock or Rowett.
  • Options
    Warnock would be great Rowett not interested taking a break after Millwall to be with his family 
  • Options

Judas, too poncy and thinks he is better than he is.

No thanks.

• Options
    Warnock would be great Rowett not interested taking a break after Millwall to be with his family 
    How about Boris and Liz Truss?
  • Options
    edited January 24
    AndyG said:

Hi Damo you really think that we don’t have a good enough squad to stay up ? I agree that we are in a relegation fight now but surely that’s not down to quality ? 

No thats not what i am saying (re players on the pitch). The club is broken for whatever reason at the moment. Successful periods at Charlton have always involved a unique bond between all elements - fans, players, management and staff. At the moment we have lost that, and even though on paper you would absolutely think we have enough, losing that special 'Charlton' around the place means that the spirit is gone, and on paper is not enough.

Get the Charlton back and on the pitch would come together. 
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 24

Following the departure of Michael Appleton as Men’s First-Team Head Coach, the Board of Directors wanted to update the club's supporters. Please see the update below:

Our current league position and form over the last two months is not good enough and does not match the ambition and investment of the club’s owners or the expectations of us as a Board, the club’s staff and you, the supporters.

To arrest our recent form the decision has been taken to relieve Men’s First-Team Head Coach Michael Appleton and Men’s First-Team Coach Richard O’Donnell of their respective roles.

Our search for the club’s next Men’s First-Team Head Coach is under way. Given our current position and the ambition of everyone at the club, it is vital we get the right appointment to lead Charlton forward. 

In the meantime Curtis Fleming will take interim charge, supported by Jason Pearce and Stephen Henderson. Curtis is a very experienced coach while Jason and Stephen have a real understanding of the club given their history as players at Charlton.

While appointing a new Head Coach is a key priority, we are also well aware that there is just over a week left in the January transfer window. We have already signed seven players this month and we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week. The transfer activity will be overseen, as it has been throughout January, by the club’s Technical Director Andy Scott. 

We would like to thank you for your continued, passionate support and assure you that everyone at the club is working hard to turn things around on the pitch. Your support will play an important role in helping us finish the season as high up the table as possible.

What a load of bollocks. The boards last extensive search identified Michael Appleton as the stand out choice, which clearly he wasn’t. Everyone bar the board knew that. What faith can we have you’ll get it right this time? Very little!
    I don’t get this approach. What’s the point of living then! What’s the point of changing things to better your life! What’s the point of making changes to improve things! Why would anyone bother with anything if they felt there was no point. Why not just give up!

Like I said, I don’t get this approach. We’ve been through a lot but I’d rather stay positive. Better than the alternative. 
  • Options
    And another fing……

Let’s forget all the bollocks about a manager who plays to a formation, or someone who has “potential”.

We need our next gaffer to turn our squad into a lean, mean machine - players who will run the extra yard and fight for that shirt. The pretty stuff can start next season, assuming we stay up.

So in my mind, that rules out the likes of Jones and Duff as both look a little flaky. Steve Evans is a dumptruck, but look at how he delivers.

If we could tempt Warnock, he would keep us up and that will give the Board a chance to make a sensible longer term decision in May [NOT August] Finally, if Fleming and Pearcy manage to turn it around, we may not need Warnock.

• Options

or 

Chris Powell

Why not Curbishley
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Curb’s in a director of football type role……maybe even assistant manager of sorts.