Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Property play

Methven moving Oxford to the Valley and building a 2 up 2 down on the Kassam stadium or whatever its called. The £1m+ net spent on players is just a red herring to cover his dastardly plan

• Forgive me.
    Have people got a problem with Seth because he's got a problem with Methven?
    Really?
    I make Seth right regards Methven, I cannot see how people can disagree with him.
  • Owners are owners, boards are boards and management are management. The latter answerable to the two layers above (i.e., through the Board).

I believe those that passed the information they had received on did it in good faith and from a certain point of view - that view being UK management’s which was likely prematurely leaked. If the latter is true, it is utterly naive but of course may not be true, who really knows other than the mouth pieces themselves? 

If I were the main investors I think about how would I likely respond to the proposal that the first team coach be sacked? Firstly, I would be asking the UK SMT what they have been doing to deal with the issues and results run that has unfolded of late (day to day)? I would also be asking AS specifically why he so convincingly put forward this coach if his character traits and style, let alone record overall was not befitting of the promotion push they were funding, nor a rapport with fans being built? 

Point being, if I was an investor I would be scrutinising the actions, motivations and results of the SMT as a whole, more than simply looking at an individual that reports to them, no matter how important results on the pitch may be in this business. That individual may be the biggest problem at the moment, but it could also be as a result of the sum of many background parts…?

Who knows what has been said since the leak, it is feasible that the SMT and MA have been collectively told to get us into position x by y timeframe or you are all out of the door…
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I think it may be the case that the real boss, Methven, is more occupied with thinking about his beloved Oxford United (where Appleton used to work) than being concerned with our progress as a football club.
    I wish you’d give it a rest Seth. 
    OK.
    Can you compare your personal interest in Charlton Athletic with Charlie Methven's?
    I know which one of the two of you is most likely to get a Charlton crest tattooed on your forearm.
    The reason why Methven is here is obscure and foggy to say the least, and if it all goes wrong who do you believe will feel the most pain, you or Methven?
    He will be able to schlepp off to the Kassam to take his mind off things.
    Maybe what Methven brings to the table which you and I lack is cool intelligent objectivity, coupled with the present miserable failure that is accompanying him at the moment.
    Plenty of posters are repetitive around certain things, Methven being a 'U' is one of mine, is that so bad.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Quite how you navigate life when you suspect there is a conspiracy against your interests under every leaf I can’t imagine. 
    How do you come to the conclusion that I suspect there is a conspiracy against my interests under every leaf?
    If I am guilty of repetition, I suggest in this matter you are guilty of exaggeration.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    No. I have a problem with the theory that Methven is deliberately doing badly because he's an Oxford fan, which 1.) is nonsensical - he's just incompetent, it's not a conspiracy and 2.) Gets repeatedly bought up over and over and over again.

I've got problems with Methven. I certainly don't like him or think he's much use. But this Oxford stuff is just boring now.
    I have not said that it is deliberate, but emphasised the point that in my view for Methven failure at Charlton is no biggie because he can escape into the arms of Oxford United to forget his troubles.
    I focus on Methven because he seems to be the person in charge.
     I do actually think he's got some skin in the game Seth. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but probably a lot for him.
    Do you remember the excellent Airman quote where he said we are a club where the management has chosen the ownership?
    Maybe that is all wrong, but the buck stops somewhere.
    But presumably can't sack them. The management are the owners facilitators and expendable at their whim.

Not sure I'm actually disagreeing with you here as my brain is so befuddled after yesterday's shenanigans. 🤔
  • edited January 23
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I think it may be the case that the real boss, Methven, is more occupied with thinking about his beloved Oxford United (where Appleton used to work) than being concerned with our progress as a football club.
    I wish you’d give it a rest Seth. 
    OK.
    Can you compare your personal interest in Charlton Athletic with Charlie Methven's?
    I know which one of the two of you is most likely to get a Charlton crest tattooed on your forearm.
    The reason why Methven is here is obscure and foggy to say the least, and if it all goes wrong who do you believe will feel the most pain, you or Methven?
    He will be able to schlepp off to the Kassam to take his mind off things.
    Maybe what Methven brings to the table which you and I lack is cool intelligent objectivity, coupled with the present miserable failure that is accompanying him at the moment.
    Plenty of posters are repetitive around certain things, Methven being a 'U' is one of mine, is that so bad.

P.S. I don't trust him.

Quite how you navigate life when you suspect there is a conspiracy against your interests under every leaf I can’t imagine. 
    How do you come to the conclusion that I suspect there is a conspiracy against my interests under every leaf?
    If I am guilty of repetition, I suggest in this matter you are guilty of exaggeration.
    Who, Shooters "7 inch soft" Guru?
  • Gribbo said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    I make Seth right regards Methven, I cannot see how people can disagree with him.
    Think what some people are saying is that, whether Methven and his investors are proper Charlton or not, its most probably still in their best interest that the Club is moving upwards rather than downwards. If that is the case, why lose sleep over their motivation as long as we get to the shared common goal?
    Perhaps Seth's angle is wtf does Methven not go and work for Oxford and f*** it up there?
    PS, I am not related to Seth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic...Casey's Court more like...🤡🤡
  • Is there a Methven thread?
  • Owners are owners, boards are boards and management are management. The latter answerable to the two layers above (i.e., through the Board).

I believe those that passed the information they had received on did it in good faith and from a certain point of view - that view being UK management’s which was likely prematurely leaked. If the latter is true, it is utterly naive but of course may not be true, who really knows other than the mouth pieces themselves? 

If I were the main investors I think about how would I likely respond to the proposal that the first team coach be sacked? Firstly, I would be asking the UK SMT what they have been doing to deal with the issues and results run that has unfolded of late (day to day)? I would also be asking AS specifically why he so convincingly put forward this coach if his character traits and style, let alone record overall was not befitting of the promotion push they were funding, nor a rapport with fans being built? 

Point being, if I was an investor I would be scrutinising the actions, motivations and results of the SMT as a whole, more than simply looking at an individual that reports to them, no matter how important results on the pitch may be in this business. That individual may be the biggest problem at the moment, but it could also be as a result of the sum of many background parts…?

Who knows what has been said since the leak, it is feasible that the SMT and MA have been collectively told to get us into position x by y timeframe or you are all out of the door…
    Final paragraph is interesting.
  • edited January 23
    Gribbo said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    Think what some people are saying is that, whether Methven and his investors are proper Charlton or not, its most probably still in their best interest that the Club is moving upwards rather than downwards. If that is the case, why lose sleep over their motivation as long as we get to the shared common goal?
    Perhaps Seth's angle is wtf does Methven not go and work for Oxford and f*** it up there?
    It’s because Methven was the driving force behind getting a consortium together including part ownership for himself to buy a distressed football club massively underachieving, in the hope of turning the clubs fortunes around and eventually making a sum of money from an eventual sell on. It’s actually quite a good idea. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    Is Oxford for sale?

Is there the perceived potential at Oxford like at Charlton? *chortle*

🤷‍♂️
  • JamesSeed said:
    Is there a Methven thread?
    Who hires and fires the managers?
    I think that is an appropriate question on a Michael Appleton thread.

• Gribbo said:
    Forgive me.
    Really?
    It’s because Methven was the driving force behind getting a consortium together including part ownership for himself to buy a distressed football club massively underachieving, in the hope of turning the clubs fortunes around and eventually making a sum of money from an eventual sell on. It’s actually quite a good idea. 
    Do you remember Methven saying he would take Sandgaard to court?

Anyway, we also have this oddity.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14545343
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Is there a Methven thread?
    Who hires and fires the managers?
    I think that is an appropriate question on a Michael Appleton thread.

Well it is a good question yes. And it seems that maybe Methven is NOT the correct answer if the ideas that the SMT have either been overruled already or waiting for the go ahead are correct.
  • If what is being surmised in that the SMT made a decision and it was overruled then some people’s authority have been seriously undermined, possibly terminally. Was it Scott’s decision to sack Appleton and Methven that put a stop to it ?
  • Just finished watching the play off final.
    All that acting, wow!

But how weird seeing Methven & Rodwell there?

Need a wash 😫 
  • What you hearing @Gribbo?
  • I have always been convinced Methven would be left holding the baby when things go tits up.
    I'm pretty sure the likes of Friedman and Brener will have walk away clauses up to the eyeballs.

Methven must be on very thin ice and our club in a perilous position.
    Oh FFS….give us a break for once carly and not introduce “yet another” bit of speculative doom and gloom into the pot! 🤨
  • It is funny of course but this is mostly a serious debacle for the football club

They appointed one manager/head coach and then sacked him in the middle of a transfer window.

They appointed a new manager who very few thought was a credible choice.

They then leaked they had sacked him too. And in the middle of the next transfer window.  But they couldn't even organise that properly. So Appleton is still in post, knowing no-one wants him in post. It is not only humiliating for Appleton , it's professionally embarrassing for Charlton Athletic Football Club. 

This extensive management team sold one of our two standout players but they failed to do that properly. They loaned him to a League 1 rival.  They they consented to let him play against us twice when we are facing a relegation threat. What odds on a CBT goal sending us down?

Their big fee marquee recruit (Coventry) turns out to be  replacement/substitute  for our other standout player, Dobson,  who now has to leave, or play out of position.

So the management team briefed against the club Captain in the middle of his contract negotiation to try and force him out. 

I am no fan of Appleton.  He is probably very knowledgeable about the technicalities of coaching but it's just impossible to imagine him inspiring or motivating anyone. And he's just not Charlton. We all knew that but they didn't.  

However, Appleton is NOT the key problem any more than Bowyer, Adkins, Jackson. Garner and the last nice bloke we all liked, were the key problem. 

Surely its time for any venom to be directed at the likes of Scott, Rodwell and Methven and their coterie of highly renumerated hangers on.

The truth is,  8 plus 8 plus 8 = relegation, misery and and total obscurity.

Sack the lot of them. Now.

Get Lee Bowyer back with 100% control of first team issues. Add Euell and Pearce in support and lets get on with it.  This is a waste of everyone's time and sanity.

This is almost perfect.

SMT …….The fans will eventually turn the angry towards you. 

• I wonder if Scott could be following Appleton out the door. 
  • Everyone’s situation is different. Every link to the club is different.

From my perspective, I have a pretty clear link. One of my investors is involved in GFP. But he’s not publicly known to be - per se. A few people on here know what I do so it’s not some big secret.

What that means is that I can share a view that doesn’t necessarily align with his. And I can be vocal about that. I want Chris Powell back - that’s my view and mine alone.

But the last thing I would ever do is share anything particularly sensitive that he told me on a public forum. Why do people do that? Surely you are placing loads of people at risk.

And frankly if he had knowledge of what’s happening with a manager, he isn’t going to go around sharing that knowing I am a fan and will be on forums like this! That’s not real life.

I always treat any sources with a pinch of salt that I see on here - they may or may not be accurate. 

But from my side, if you genuinely are close to someone involved at the club, you’re not gonna start positing it on Charlton Life.
    Wrong!
  • Hopefully they might have someone lined up before second half tonight. Would that be a first 2 different managers in one game. 
    Might be an idea that having a different manger in each half because our team plays like a different team in each half. Either shit first half and ok second half or shit second half and ok first.