Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks

Comments

• Options
    Can’t deny that he’s the sort of player that gets you out the edge of your seat. An absolute battering ram who can just palm off defenders as if they were children.

We have to make the most of his contribution whilst we have it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Off_it said:
    Great to see him back. Hope he silences the haters.
    Are there any "haters"?

Nobody has ever questioned his ability as far as I can recall.

But that makes the complete frustration even worse as we know what he CAN do on his day and, crucially, when he's fit.

But we've been down this road many many times before. 

I think we all hope he stays fit, plays more games and scores goals. 
    Unfortunately there was a small section on Saturday when he was warming up at half time who called him the c bomb a few times. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Are there any "haters"?

But that makes the complete frustration even worse as we know what he CAN do on his day and, crucially, when he's fit.

Unfortunately there was a small section on Saturday when he was warming up at half time who called him the c bomb a few times. 
    Chuks Bomb, Chuks Bomb,
    You're my Chuks Bomb,
    I know we're gonna win when you're fit enough to come on,
    Chuks Bomb, Chuks Bomb,
    You're my Chuks Bomb,
    Aneke you just turn me on.
    That’s proper tickled me that, take a bow…👍
  • Options
    Did Chuks ever play under Holden? If he did, I can't recall it.
  • Options
    Think he got injured during the Brighton game which was overseen by Hayes. 
  • Options
    With games being around 100 minutes this season, even Chuks coming on in the 80th minute will be a decent bonus for us. 

It’s key that fans (I think most of us do), the club, and the player now accept Chuks cannot start games or play an hour plus in a game. Chuks playing 15-20 minute cameos should still add a lot to our season.  
    Absolutely this, I think we need to cut the guy some slack, he’s a 4th / 5 th choice striker at best, and needs to be used in that way, great to see him back, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
    He’s our best striker, along with May. 
  • Options
    No doubt about. If it wasn’t for his injury record he would be playing at a much higher level. Even as he is he can change games.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Just love watching him play, physically he’s obviously brilliant, holding the ball up and holding off defenders. Plus when he’s off the bench he’s quite quick too. But technically I think he’s one of our best players too, the clever little flicks he does to find team mates, he can link play and obviously finish very well too. 

Just got to hope he can stay fit as if he can then he will get better and better with more games
    Hopefully Leaburn learns a lot from watching/playing with Aneke too. I'm not saying that to denigrate Leaburn but as he is a strapping lad who also happens to possess good technical skills, it will do him good to work out how to combine both skill sets and there's not many better at that than a fit and firing Aneke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023

Four times in February.

#1 Fleetwood (H) 1-2 L (subbed into game on 66 mins)
    #2 Forest Green (A) 0-1 W (started, subbed off after 70 mins)
    #3 Derby (A) 2-0 L (subbed into game on 66 mins)
    #4 Sheff Wed (H) 0-1 L (subbed into game on 57 mins, subbed off with injury on 81 mins)
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The notion of Chuks never starting games but having 20 minute cameos being something to be pleased about speaks volumes about how far this club has sunk
    Chunks of the crowd are pleased to seem him on the bench because he's more popular than Charlie Kirk and might have an impact - even if it's only one impact before breaking down again - in contrast to Kirk who could turn out for 110 minutes every week and never come close to making and impact
    That's not so much "a low bar" as the total absence of expectation

Brings to mind professional misery guts, poet and balladeer: the late great Leonard Cohen.  When asked in an interview how he felt about being branded a pessimist he replied "I think those descriptions of me are quite inappropriate to the gravity of the predicament that faces us all."

I'd never heard of fans being happy with a player not being able to start a game and play 90 minutes, then Aneke comes along and it's alright to play 1 hour a month for 20k upwards.
    We have dropped a hell of a long way from beating Arsenal 4-2 at Highbury.
  • Options
    As already said, good to see him back, and would be good to see more of what he can produce, not really sure what his "injury" was, thought it might be more than the standard issue, and seem to recall it being stated, or not, that they were unwilling to disclose the actual cause of him missing so many games, but whatever it is, just stay fit Chuks please, 'cos we could certainly do with more on the pitch rather than off it...
    A good job he is not a greyhound.
  • Options
    I’ve been in the “pay him up and be done” group but not a hater as I like Chuks as a player and individual and sympathise with his plight. I’m now of the view that, frankly, we are stuck with him for the duration and, having not expected to see him again in a Charlton shirt, any 20 min game changing cameos that we can get out of him are a welcome bonus.  I’m not betting on how many of those we have though. And as others have said, Miles can watch and learn. 
    Pretty much as I see it. 
  • Options
    Since the other thread got closed....

Always great to see him back playing and more importantly affecting the game with his presence today by all accounts. Obviously still loads of question marks there but if IF we could somehow manage him and get the best of him for 30 odd games from the bench this year... could change our season... or alternatively in 3 games time he's back on the shelf and normal service resumes??? 

It’s the hope that bloody kills you ain't it!
    I said this in the Transfer Rumours thread and got sarcastically shot down by quite a few but I completely agree!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Are there any "haters"?

Absolute morons if this is true.

If he's out there wearing the shirt he deserves to be backed, not abused.
  • Options
    Love watching Aneke play & all credit to Appleton for getting him back involved.

Looking forward to seeing him partner May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The notion of Chuks never starting games but having 20 minute cameos being something to be pleased about speaks volumes about how far this club has sunk
    Chunks of the crowd are pleased to seem him on the bench because he's more popular than Charlie Kirk and might have an impact - even if it's only one impact before breaking down again - in contrast to Kirk who could turn out for 110 minutes every week and never come close to making and impact

Brings to mind professional misery guts, poet and balladeer: the late great Leonard Cohen.  When asked in an interview how he felt about being branded a pessimist he replied "I think those descriptions of me are quite inappropriate to the gravity of the predicament that faces us all."

I'd never heard of fans being happy with a player not being able to start a game and play 90 minutes, then Aneke comes along and it's alright to play 1 hour a month for 20k upwards.
    I’m not sure you can blame Chuks for that. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

No one is happy with it, they just think 20 minutes is better than no minutes.

We'd all much prefer him to be playing 90+ minutes every week but why let perfect be the enemy of good?

We're paying his wages regardless so we might as well get some benefit.

Unfortunately, some fans have invested so much in their version of Chuks being a skiver who is "stealing a living" that now he has returned they have to say that even those grapes are sour
    Agreed. It’s incredibly tedious, as well as disrespectful. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Do you truly believe Chucks is happy not being able to start a game?
    Despite the high wages, injuries are deeply frustrating for any player. It's not just about the paycheck, but because footballers are handsomely compensated (not their fault) they are open to criticism and accused of "stealing a living" - No one feels the pain of sitting out more than the player himself and I know first hand how frustrated Chucks was/is.
    He shut quite a few fans up which was nice. If Chucks doesn't come on, we would have lost 1-0. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Billy_Mix said:

No one is happy with it, they just think 20 minutes is better than no minutes.

We'd all much prefer him to be playing 90+ minutes every week but why let perfect be the enemy of good?

We're paying his wages regardless so we might as well get some benefit.

Unfortunately, some fans have invested so much in their version of Chuks being a skiver who is "stealing a living" that now he has returned they have to say that even those grapes are sour
    Agreed. It’s incredibly tedious, as well as disrespectful. 
    It’s also untrue. I can’t imagine there’s anyone more frustrated that Chuks himself at the problems he’s had over the last few seasons. 

Hopefully he can build on his appearance from the bench the other day and contribute value to the team, even if it’s not 90 mins twice a week. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Are there any "haters"?

The dogs abuse the guy gets mainly on X, is on another level mate.
    Who cares what happens on X?  That’s like worrying about posts on MySpace. 
  • Options
    Chuks is a fantastic league 1 player. I guess if his injury record was better he wouldn’t be playing for Charlton. A genuine game turner on his day.
  • Options
    A good season for him would simply be a consistent run of appearances from the bench, even if it's 10 minutes a game