Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Head Of Performance - Will Abbott

Interesting.

Comments

• Options
    Feck me he’s got his work cut out.
  • Options
    Sounds very impressive

• Options
    Just out of interest, who and when was the last person we had doing this role?
  • Options
    I like the sound of this appointment - let's hope he doesn't get "Charltonised" too soon!!

I wonder how long his notice period is.  The squad could certainly do with some nutrition advice before they stuff themselves silly over Christmas - or whatever else it is they regularly do to cause our all-too-frequent New Year dip in results
  • Options
    Hopefully his specialty is Hamstring’s and prevention of that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On paper looks a good appointment. It must have been a good job to entice him to leave Brighton.
  • Options
    This sounds like a really really good appointment , to get someone away from a well established PL club will have taken some serious convincing and probably a very good financial offer too. 
  • Options

• Options
    If he can get Chuks to stay fit, he will have earnt his corn.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Sounds an impressive appointment. TBF the non playing recruitment under these owners has all seemed decent imo. Just need Andy Scott to get some better players in than he has managed so far.  As said above if this chap can keep people like Aneke, Camara (if we don't return him) and Taylor fit then that would make an immediate positive impact.  

The cost of the off field staff seems very expansionary and not in line with financial sustainability (an observation, not a dig as financial sustainability is a myth for us).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    A very progressive appointment who will not have come cheap! 

Being a glass half full man, I see that as a sign the ownership have serious intent.
    Certainly shows ambition. And suggests that at least one of our multitude of part owners is putting some proper investment in - even taking a financial hit, former PL staff won't be cheap.

The cynic in me wonders if Abbott will have the resources and support available to actually achieve his aims but we live in hope.
  • Options
    Looks and sounds like a very good appointment. This is from 3 years ago:-

"Dr Will Abbott, Academy Performance Manager at Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

Will is the Academy Performance Manager at Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club having previously gained experience working as a strength & conditioning and sport science practitioner at the club. Will’s current role is to lead a team of S&C, sport science, nutrition and medical practitioners towards achieving a common objective. He also has a PhD in the monitoring and prescription of GPS training load in elite academy soccer athletes.

Dr Abbott is interviewed by Dr Andrew Shafik, a junior doctor in London, BJSM reviewer and Editorial Board Member at FMPA’s publication ‘football medicine & performance’."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Was "LOL"ed by @lancashire lad when I suggested he might be working his notice :smile:

On paper, an ambitious and progressive appointment.

He comes with an impressive CV, ironically from a much admired club who currently have a bit of an injury crisis.

Welcome and good luck.

That's one less question to ask Rodwell and Scott about at Bromley Addicks next Thursday.
    Brighton got numerous vacancies in their medical department. Think they are recruiting for three full time positions atmo. Apparently, he was working more academy football for Brighton and not first team. 
  • Options
    It's the sort of appointment a decent football clubs management team would make ..it augurs well 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Danny Murphy maybe... Not the ex-Charlton player... the one from 2019/20

Edit... Nope he was Head of Physiotherapy

Charlton Athletic appoint Danny Murphy as new head physio – South London News (londonnewsonline.co.uk)
  • Options
    Bet he’s injured within the month.
  • Options
    Think it’s a new role. I guess will do some of the work a head physio/sports scientist might have done 
  • Options
    Danny Murphy maybe... Not the ex-Charlton player... the one from 2019/20

Edit... Nope he was Head of Physiotherapy

Charlton Athletic appoint Danny Murphy as new head physio – South London News (londonnewsonline.co.uk)
    Is he still with us? Came with big credentials too.