Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Small - one year option triggered and longer deal under discussion (p11)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 17
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:
    I love you guys, anyone thinking we’re getting £1.2M for a 19 year old that’s played 14 games for us in the 3rd division & has 12 months remaining on their contract possesses a level of optimism I aspire to. 

He has clearly been offered a longer term deal, clearly not signed it, and thus we’ve been put in a position where we need to trigger a one year option or lose the player. Triggering the option is the right call, but anyone seeing this as any more than another failing of our recruitment strategy has clearly had the rose tinted spectacles welded on. 
    I know I'm not the first to highlight this, but this is one of the most baffling things I've seen on here for a while. I would make the case that Small was the second best signing of last season after May even if we sold him tomorrow and got 200k for him. He came in at 19 and despite having barely played all season to that point, made the LWB spot his and made it so Jones didn't have to worry about it after that. That alone is very impressive for a 19 year old, and I think there's still more to come from him. 

If we're going to complain about recruitment when it goes wrong (and it often has), then we should give credit where credit is due.

But he has? 

I agree with @se9addick that if we can't convince 19yr old Small to stay for longer after playing 24 games it doesn't bode well for an "Ipswich style" summer window which some people have convinced themselves is on the way.
  • Options
    Club had been speaking to Campbell's agent about a new contract since October 2023.

He signed in May 2024.

Deals don't happen overnight.

There is still plenty of time for Small to sign a longer deal before the season starts.
    not a very good comparison, if rumours during the time of Apples are correct, in that TC wanted to leave due to Apples management
  • Options
    Club had been speaking to Campbell's agent about a new contract since October 2023.

He signed in May 2024.

Deals don't happen overnight.

There is still plenty of time for Small to sign a longer deal before the season starts.
    not a very good comparison, if rumours during the time of Apples are correct, in that TC wanted to leave due to Apples management
    It isn't a comparison, it's an example of the complexity and timescales for negotiations.

• Options
    edited May 18
    thenewbie said:
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:
    I love you guys, anyone thinking we’re getting £1.2M for a 19 year old that’s played 14 games for us in the 3rd division & has 12 months remaining on their contract possesses a level of optimism I aspire to. 

He has clearly been offered a longer term deal, clearly not signed it, and thus we’ve been put in a position where we need to trigger a one year option or lose the player. Triggering the option is the right call, but anyone seeing this as any more than another failing of our recruitment strategy has clearly had the rose tinted spectacles welded on. 
    I know I'm not the first to highlight this, but this is one of the most baffling things I've seen on here for a while. I would make the case that Small was the second best signing of last season after May even if we sold him tomorrow and got 200k for him. He came in at 19 and despite having barely played all season to that point, made the LWB spot his and made it so Jones didn't have to worry about it after that. That alone is very impressive for a 19 year old, and I think there's still more to come from him. 

If we're going to complain about recruitment when it goes wrong (and it often has), then we should give credit where credit is due.

But he has? 

I agree with @se9addick that if we can't convince 19yr old Small to stay for longer after playing 24 games it doesn't bode well for an "Ipswich style" summer window which some people have convinced themselves is on the way.
    The same 19 year old who has already had 3 different "home clubs" and not played more than 14 games a season for any one of them?

I really wouldn't read too much into his not signing long-term, he's not one to hang around anywhere for long (whether for personal reasons or agent influence.)

If it were players like Campbell or Leaburn refusing to sign up and showing signs of wanting out, THAT would be alarming. This is just Small doing what he's done several times before.
    Having been selected by Jones for those fourteen games and if as reported, he is happy at Charlton then the possibility that he might pen a deal is high. I’m sure his experience elsewhere will inform his opinion as to what’s best for his immediate prospects. I can’t imagine he’s been happy with how things have gone for him at Everton, Southampton and his loan clubs. Charlton and those fourteen games are probably the pinnacle of his career so far. I don’t blame him one iota for trying to get the best deal or for even considering his future options but I hope his agent is in his ear telling him he needs to start building a back history of playing games. It’s more games he needs on his cv. Not clubs.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:

But he has? 

The same 19 year old who has already had 3 different "home clubs" and not played more than 14 games a season for any one of them?

I really wouldn't read too much into his not signing long-term, he's not one to hang around anywhere for long (whether for personal reasons or agent influence.)

If it were players like Campbell or Leaburn refusing to sign up and showing signs of wanting out, THAT would be alarming. This is just Small doing what he's done several times before.
    Having been selected by Jones for those fourteen games and if as reported, he is happy at Charlton then the possibility that he might pen a deal is high. I’m sure his experience elsewhere will inform his opinion as to what’s best for his immediate prospects. I can’t imagine he’s been happy with how things have gone for him at Everton, Southampton and his loan clubs. Charlton and those fourteen games are probably the pinnacle of his career so far. I don’t blame him one iota for trying to get the best deal or for even considering his future options but I hope his agent is in his ear telling him he needs to start building a back history of playing games. It’s more games he needs on his cv. Not clubs.
    Agreed. I would very much like to see him sign another, longer deal and that it would also benefit him to put down some roots instead of hopping between clubs. 

I'm not advocating for him to move on, simply pointing out that the fact he has not yet signed a longer deal does not in this particular case suggest that the offer is unduly low or unfair, or that Scott (or Jones or both) has undervalued him - he just doesn't seem to hang around for long, rightly or not.
  • Options
    The year extension is triggered so there's a bit of time for a new contract to be considered. In his shoes I'd want to see the club showing some ambition in it's signings before putting pen to paper on a longer deal.
  • Options
    edited May 18
    IdleHans said:
    The year extension is triggered so there's a bit of time for a new contract to be considered. In his shoes I'd want to see the club showing some ambition in its signings before putting pen to paper on a longer deal.
    I really don’t think Small is realistically in a position to see what ambition the club show. Hes not that sought after. He’s failed or at least underwhelmed at Southampton, St. Mirren and Port Vale. He has bags of potential but until he can show he’s able to hold down a place week in week out for a season that’s all he’s got. Potential. We could offer him a three year deal and he reverts to the player that couldn’t get a game at St. Mirren. Personally I like him and think he’s got what it takes but there is nothing on his CV to indicate that at this stage he can do much better than Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 18
    The longer this whole saga goes on, and after reading various posts regarding his playing background, the more I am starting to get slight doubts bubbling up regarding Small...
    Has he got what it takes to knuckle down and show some commitment to the game and the team he is playing for, currently us, or is he just a loose canon, that will just go AWOL at the drop of a hat.
    Much as I loved his input last season, not currently convinced he is the long term LWB that we have been looking for and someone we can rely on day in day out,... I am open to be proved wrong...🤷‍♂️

• Options
    If we get a half decent offer. ie a couple of hundred grand, we’ll take it. I think he wants to play at a higher level 
  • Options
    If we get a half decent offer. ie a couple of hundred grand, we’ll take it. I think he wants to play at a higher level 
    I’m sure he does but what is there in his record to suggest he can. 14 games for us and that’s about it. IMHO he needs to knuckle down and play some games. If he’s that good his time will come.
  • Options

I think he needs to grow a pair and smell the coffee really!!
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Scoham said:
    In what way is a couple of hundred grand a good offer? Yes he’s 19 and largely unproven but he has the potential to be one of the best LBs in the league this time next year. We’d be better off keeping him if that’s all anyone would pay.
    Agreed. Even sell on clauses aren’t really worth much given his track record for moving around as often as he has.

Anything less than half a million for a talented young left back would be very disappointing - regardless of how long he has or hasn’t been here.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    In what way is a couple of hundred grand a good offer? Yes he’s 19 and largely unproven but he has the potential to be one of the best LBs in the league this time next year. We’d be better off keeping him if that’s all anyone would pay.
    Agreed. Even sell on clauses aren’t really worth much given his track record for moving around as often as he has.

Anything less than half a million for a talented young left back would be very disappointing - regardless of how long he has or hasn’t been here.
    The lad has played a total of 23 games. 14 of them since January. If we get offers over £500k I’d be amazed. 
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Scoham said:

The lad has played a total of 23 games. 14 of them since January. If we get offers over £500k I’d be amazed. 
    When you put it like that Shooters, and based on his playing career history so far, i'd be amazed if we get any offers at all...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Scoham said:

Archie Brown, a 21 y/o English left back, played 30 odd games in the Swiss 2nd division the season before last. Genk then paid 4 million for him last summer. They might flip him to Chelsea for even more after only one season.

I’m not expecting millions but 500k is nothing to a top team. If Small reaches his potential he could be worth 20 times that in a few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 19
    Scoham said:

Archie Brown, a 21 y/o English left back, played 30 odd games in the Swiss 2nd division the season before last. Genk then paid 4 million for him last summer. They might flip him to Chelsea for even more after only one season.

I’m not expecting millions but 500k is nothing to a top team. If Small reaches his potential he could be worth 20 times that in a few years.
    And yet there he was on a free transfer in January to a team in danger of relegation to the fourth division. 
    And yet he was rumoured to be worth a million or more just over a year ago.

He’s not guaranteed to ever amount to anything but as a Premier League club you’d be buying potential more than what he was six months ago, or is now. It’s only my opinion but selling him for £200-300k to a Championship team, only for them to make millions off of him twelve months later, would be a big mistake.

At that point we might as well keep him until his contract expires next summer and take the gamble on promotion with him in the team.
  • Options
    I’m sure he’s not a name that’s completely unknown to Premier league clubs yet none of them took him for nothing five months ago for free. Now suddenly after 14 games he’s worth a million. I really don’t think so. 
  • Options
    I’m sure he’s not a name that’s completely unknown to Premier league clubs yet none of them took him for nothing five months ago for free. Now suddenly after 14 games he’s worth a million. I really don’t think so. 
    £4m I heard. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    A very bright prospect, but not irreplaceable. If we get a half decent offer and can sign a player with decent pedigree to replace him, It won't be the end of the world.

I would however like to see us keep hold of some players that have promise. 
    Disagree, I am 100% confident we would not find a better replacement for him if he left. 
  • Options
    £4m I heard. 
    I heard Madrid are after him after deciding not to go for Alphonso Davies.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The year extension is triggered so there's a bit of time for a new contract to be considered. In his shoes I'd want to see the club showing some ambition in it's signings before putting pen to paper on a longer deal.
    the extension was for Charlton to trigger
    not triggering it would have been ludicrous
    Small being under contract means Charlton get a fee if Small and his agent get a better offer elsewhere
    Triggering the extension also signals to Small that NJ and the club value him sufficiently to guarantee him another year's wages irrespective of whether he plays
    that's going to feel like he's got a pretty firm hold on the left(wing)back birth 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:

But he has? 

If he doesn't sign a new contract, but stays for the season, this time next summer he could have another 50 games under his belt here, which would give him a decent back history, so he doesn't need to sign an extension to get that.

And as a free agent, he'll be free to go wherever he wants next summer for a nice signing on fee. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:

But he has? 

If he doesn't sign a new contract, but stays for the season, this time next summer he could have another 50 games under his belt here, which would give him a decent back history, so he doesn't need to sign an extension to get that.

And as a free agent, he'll be free to go wherever he wants next summer for a nice signing on fee. 
    Goes both ways though, if he signs the new deal he will earn probably 3/4x the salary next season and doesn't have the risk of no contract should he get injured or underperform. Worth noting that he is earning absolute peanuts (less than Karoy and Assiimwe) as we originally signed him for our under 21s in January.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:

But he has? 

Which is exactly what his agent will be telling him.