Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Small - one year option triggered and longer deal under discussion (p11)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 6
    Small seems to have a really high ceiling. I do wonder how he went from Everton's youngest ever player linked to Real Madrid to a League One relegation battle but it's favoured us massively. Need to tie him down for next season. Apparently Spurs were in for him too last January. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm sure he'll sign an extension if offered because he needs to play football and he'll get that here. Move again and it's another risk that he doesn't need at this point of his career. 
    Not so sure - he might see 18 months as fine for now, thinking if he does well he can get a free transfer back up the ladder.

The good thing for now is that we have that option, at least he's not just here this season, and hopefully if he settles and we can work on trying to agree an extension.
  • Options
    Although thinking about it, would it be a free transfer?  Given his age would it be compensation at least?
  • Options
    Without getting too carried away.
    He might be the greatest free signing of all time.
    There’s a thread in greatest free signing….. I’d go

And that would be the end of the thread. 
    Didn't we get Paolo Di Canio on a free?
  • Options
    A friend of mine is an Everton supporter so I asked him about Small. He said that he was very promising at their academy but 'had ideas way above his station and rejected terms thinking he could do better.' He was probably peeved at Everton turning down the approach from Real Madrid! He then said that Small 'has been on a downward trajectory ever since. If he is getting rave reviews he will jump ship at the first opportunity.' Interesting.     
    Hopefully he's settled down a bit now. He definitely seems to have the right mentality for us at the moment. To some extent you can understand a 16 year old being upset about not being allowed to join Madrid.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Valley11 said:
    Is the song:

Thieeery, oooo.
    Thieeery, oooo.
    His second name is Small
    He fking hates Millwall

?
    Such an old chant.. something more original would be good
    I wasn’t making it up…isn’t that what the away end was signing last night? Couldn’t make it out 
  • Options
    He is a beast, a beast that is also a great ball player. Long term deal please,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think what the signing of Small shows is that there are good young players out there in the reserve sides of higher ranked clubs who can do a good job for us in league one, at least.

The trick is identifying them and getting them to sign.

I doubt Small has always dreamed of playing for Charlton so had to be convinced that we were the right club to join to re-start his career.  Jones would have been a big factor in that.
    Exactly this, its what Brentford do well with their B team, for example - recruit released players who they think still have a lot of potential.

Putting the work in to separate the decent ones from the ones who'll end up semi-pro etc is the key though, good scouting and good contacts etc.
  • Options
    He's put in 100% every time he's played so far, and he has shown flashes of real quality. Been a great signing so far.
  • Options
    NJ has a good eye for academy players.  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Apparently has fitted in absolutely seamlessly at the club along with Ramsey.  That's good to know.

The club know we are lucky to have got him and we have a certain mad Welshman to thank for facilitating.  Not only is Nathan proving an astute manager.....but he's got contacts too

Prem u21s available for permanent moves (or free agents) is definitely a market we need to make more use of, hopefully it’s something the club are looking at. NJs contacts can only help but also improving our recruitment set up so we’re more aware of who’s coming through, who could become available and is good enough for our first team.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm sure he'll sign an extension if offered because he needs to play football and he'll get that here. Move again and it's another risk that he doesn't need at this point of his career. 
    Not so sure - he might see 18 months as fine for now, thinking if he does well he can get a free transfer back up the ladder.

The good thing for now is that we have that option, at least he's not just here this season, and hopefully if he settles and we can work on trying to agree an extension.

Good work to have the 12 month option on him, rather than just a short term deal to the end of this season, but agreed, he's started so well with us, that he'll be confident of getting something better after 18 months if we're not progressing, rather than signing a longer deal in the next few weeks for "security". 
  • Options
    I think what the signing of Small shows is that there are good young players out there in the reserve sides of higher ranked clubs who can do a good job for us in league one, at least.

I doubt Small has always dreamed of playing for Charlton so had to be convinced that we were the right club to join to re-start his career.  Jones would have been a big factor in that.
    He certainly looks like he is enjoying himself on the pitch & after the games. A bit of a guess on my part but this is likely the most settled he has felt at senior level. Lets hope we can tie him down ASAP.
  • Options
    A friend of mine is an Everton supporter so I asked him about Small. He said that he was very promising at their academy but 'had ideas way above his station and rejected terms thinking he could do better.' He was probably peeved at Everton turning down the approach from Real Madrid! He then said that Small 'has been on a downward trajectory ever since. If he is getting rave reviews he will jump ship at the first opportunity.' Interesting.     
    His wiki page (admittedly not a guarantee of the truth of course) says "he feared not getting game-time under Carlo Ancelotti with Lucas Digne and Niels Nkounkou ahead of him the first-team pecking order, and subsequently rejected the opportunity to turn professional at Everton."

To be fair unless you're a generational talent i don't think any 17 year old can be expecting to play regular premier league football though. Maybe his subsequent downward trajectory has humbled him a bit and we can get him tied to a long term deal. If not then i wouldn't expect him to be here beyond the 1 year option we have.
  • Options
    Tiny Tel is magic
    Your team is fecking tragic
    La la la la, la la la la……………..🥳
  • Options
    Love the bloke.
    Give him a 4yr deal. Kids mustard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Voted MOM, Conor Coventry 2nd, TW 3rd
  • Options
    He rejected Everton’s terms and probably did do better. I doubt Southampton stumped up 3m and then agreed wages of ten bob a week.
  • Options
    He is a unit too and wins a lot of the physical battles.
  • Options

They are all going to be decent players to have made it that far, but for what ever reason doesn't always work out, can be lack of opportunities, wrong environment, injuries etc.. We have signed lots of young players, and hasn't worked.. Maybe with Small all the stars are lined and this one is going to work out for Charlton and Small.. I would say, that Jones by bring Small in, may have already covered Jones salary for a few years, if we sign Small and get a decent fee for him in a few years time.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    I watched him last night, i wouldn't get carried away just yet. What i mean is by wingers/ wing backs we often hype them up but then we need to find that consistency. 

Looked like he worked his socks off, he was good on the ball, i'd say he does the simple things well, so definitely a good signing so far. Fingers crossed he keeps the enthusiasm and can be a reliable 7+ player most games. 

Impressed from yesterday. 
    He's been consistently good for 5 games and has got a goal and an assist without making major defensive errors. Won't get much more consistency than that in L1
    That's fair, although 5 games is a small sample and doesn't mean we shouldn't wait for consistency over a longer period. 

Granted i have only watched a couple of those games, i was more not trying to build him up too soon when we have always had wingers in the past that have gone on runs then struggle and go in and out the team. 

Long may his good form continue. 
  • Options
    He’s had a decent start, and with his background I’d say he’s likely to continue as long as those around him pull their weight.
    Any player can look bad if those around them aren’t doing their bit.
    Hopefully Ramsay is good too, as we’ve got the makings of a good defence.