Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 24

This should probably be for the “feeling old” thread but it says something when you look at the announced acts list and do not recognise about 80% of the acts. I don’t mean unfamiliar with their music, I mean never actually heard of them!  And I thought I had an eclectic musical taste. I’m getting old,,,Gaun yersel Shania!!!!!!!

Coldplay will appeal to a wide audience but not quite the draw that McCartney and Elton provided the last couple of years. 

Comments

• Options
    A very uninspiring line up so far 

• Options
    Guessing Taylor swift will be a headliner too, Idles would have been great on the main stage... guess that'll happen in the next couple years. 
  • Options
    Funny, I think this is the best Line Up for years. There's loads I'd go to see.
  • Options
    Surprised to see Heilung there, and so high up. They played Arctangent last year which is just down the road but is definitely not the same sort of festival as Glastonbury. They are...very weird. They're all earth-mothery and pagan sure, but that's not what Glastonbury has been about for years and years. I'm very interested to see how that goes down, a lot of people are going to have a very bad trip I think.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    A very uninspiring line up so far 

crock of shite! either never heard of them, heard of them but shite, or heard of them years ago and they have done bugger all for years. I would have to draw the curtains?

On the other hand I may just be a BOF who is no longer down wid the kids.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I’m also ancient but looking forward to LCD Soundsystem, The National, Confidence Man, PJ Harvey, Cyndi Lauper, Last Dinner Party and Paul Heaton (all via bbc coverage, no muddy fields for me). Coldplay are like ice-cold porridge to me. 
  • Options
    I know most of these, and I dislike most of these. It's a bad lineup, but because I do know them, lol

Exceptions for me would be Burna Boy, Nia Archives, possibly Danny Brown, Corinne Bailey Rae, Soccer Mommy, Lankum and above all Mdou Moctar, who's probably - PROBABLY - just about worth the admission money alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lPeQA2hu4
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I know most of these, and I dislike most of these. It's a bad lineup, but because I do know them, lol

Exceptions for me would be Burna Boy, Nia Archives, possibly Danny Brown, Corinne Bailey Rae, Soccer Mommy, Lankum and above all Mdou Moctar, who's probably - PROBABLY - just about worth the admission money alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lPeQA2hu4
    not unless the admission money is less than £3 quid.
  • Options
    Never heard of SZA so officially in the old camp now. Plenty on there I like but certainly not a mind-blowing line up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    21 of them are familiar to me.    
  • Options
    I've been to Glastonbury loads of times, both as punter and for work on the radio. I've gone a full week a couple of times and the vibe is so different to every other UK festival. It's not as commercial as Reading/Leeds, TRMSMT, Wireless, IOW etc. Also, Glastonbury isn't strictly a music festival, in fact you could go for the weekend and have a banging time without hitting any of the main stages.

I wouldn't consider myself spiritual, but the atmosphere in the back fields (SE) is lovely, very peaceful. I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't been to try and get a ticket in the future.
  • Options
    Never heard of SZA so officially in the old camp now. Plenty on there I like but certainly not a mind-blowing line up

I've been in the old camp for years - who are Coldplay?
  • Options
    Showing my age, but the line up seems a little cheap'ish.

Chuffed LCD, Idles and Burna boy, PJ Harvey but the organisers could have tried for Neil Young, he's on his last world tour and would've been great for Glastonbury especially with what he stands for aligns with them. I'll still watch though as there's always a surprise act that can come through. 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I recognise 16 of them and i've also have never heard of SZA

Paul Heaton is the only one i'd be interested in watching .
  • Options
    edited March 14
    31 for me but it’s normally a lot more 
  • Options
    Sleaford Mods & The Breeders are the 2 I would most like to see. Never heard of many of the acts
  • Options
    Heard of 18, but I am an old git! Coldplay are the most over-rated band ever IMO. Have never got what people see in them.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I'm going and very much looking forward to it... Not sure how many acts I'll see though, as I am going to be working there, helping to look after the diverse spaces/retreats for festival goers with accessibility/neuro diverse requirements. Am hoping I can at least see LCD Soundsytem though... I know most of the artists (at least by name. edit: just counted and know 57 of them), but am putting that down to have a teenage son who loves music...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 14
    Leaning into 'Pop' a little too hard for a festival for my liking. 

Sza and Dua Lipa are perfectly fine headliners in their own right, but probably wouldn't have them both in the same year. 

Know most of them and if you're listening to new music in the 2020s you'd have heard most of these names if you dip into pop/grime/rap/rnb/indie music. 
  • Options
    I know about 75%. It's not so much age, as whether someone is interested enough to want to know what's around.
  • Options
    Not the best lineup but certainly not the worst/bad.

Used a lifetime of luck when I got tickets four consecutive years (2013/14/15/16) and then no luck since!
  • Options
    I was hoping that Lost Cat would be on the line-up this year.  I have never seen or heard them play live - I only know them from their posters. 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    shine166 said:
    Guessing Taylor swift will be a headliner too, Idles would have been great on the main stage... guess that'll happen in the next couple years. 
    She's playing in Dublin the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night 
  • Options
    Know a lot of them, and I'm surprised Last Dinner Party are that low on the bill 
  • Options
    I'm going and very much looking forward to it... Not sure how many acts I'll see though, as I am going to be working there, helping to look after the diverse spaces/retreats for festival goers with accessibility/neuro diverse requirements. Am hoping I can at least see LCD Soundsytem though... I know most of the artists (at least by name. edit: just counted and know 57 of them), but am putting that down to have a teenage son who loves music...
    I know you like a drink. Find the cider bus, it's pretty close to the main stage. I interviewed the owner a few years back. He's absolutely bonkers, they been selling cider at the festival since the very beginning (1971 i think) and the bus has been a fixture since the 80s. It's also a good place to hangout and meet folk.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    shine166 said:
    She's playing in Dublin the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night 
    Ah that's that then, Mrs can stop moaning that we didn't apply for tickets now 🤣.
  • Options
    The Pyramid Stage line-up is appalling. Is it meant to be enjoyed ironically?

Twee pop for 12 year olds, plus the usual perennial MOR shite (e.g Coldplay, Keane, ugh) that were at their peak years ago. Why pander to people who essentially don't know or particularly like music and are basically sartorial tourists?

Current and young bands should be front and centre pushing new music, not this stale rubbish. Even if some of the bands were good in their day, this is a nostalgia fest.  It used to be a place to escape from the mainstream, now that is exactly what it is.

Thankfully there are still places to go to get away from this crap (as highlighted above), but the fact that commercial pop chart bullshit now dominates shows how going mainstream always kills anything good because it leads to corporate blandness.

It's all very Radio 2.  Very middle of the road, increasingly mainstream.  Increasingly beige.  Increasingly corporate. Should be sponsored by Pepsi or some other fizzy pop company.

Still, posh folk up from London will love it for the Instagram opportunities, which is what really counts.

Can't wait for the X-Factor tie in next year!