Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Edwards signs on a 4 year deal

Comments

• Watching in real time it was a red all day long for me. And I used to like Sean Clare.
  • Sean Clare always seemed like a good guy. Although I never rated him as a centre back.
  • The worry with ones like this is whether or not it has a mental impact on Edwards being afraid to go in on 50/50’s like that again for fear of such a bad tackle.

I really hope he’s ok as he’s looked such a fantastic signing so far.
  • edited August 18
    Sage said:
    The still frame makes it look like he’s lucky to get away with no ankle or tib/fib fracture considering his foot is almost fully planted in the ground.

He was up and out in the second half encouraging the team from next to the dugout in a boot though which is positive. The initial signs would likely to be ligament damage but a small fracture around the structure shouldn’t be ruled out from that observation.

You can never tell how long the healing time will be with ankle ligaments as it’s not like the ligaments in the knee for example. These ones have such a different kind of job where the fibres need to be slightly more flexible anyway. Knee ligaments you can put an educated return to play date, ankle ligament is more we hope it to be around X time but it could easily be another 4 weeks on top.

Really hope it to be good news tomorrow as Edwards has impressed and we need every bit of luck, quality, and fitness to get out of this league.
    Having suffered both, both are a decent length of time out but knee is worse from my experience. The best outcome IMO would be a small bone break or fracture as this will heal. I think whatever way you look at it, he is going to be out for a while. 

I don't think Clare is a malicious player and I am sure he didn't mean to hurt Edwards but he needed the threat of punishment to prevent him going into such a dangerous challenge. The game needs a panel to look at these and severely punish for the safety of players and if it had it, I doubt Clare would have gone in how he did.

We won the game without Clare being sent off so it isn't sour grapes and I would say the same if it was our player. I don't think the ref needed VAR. He had assistants. For that to be a red, contact with the player needs to be established and if between them they can't sort that, we are in touble. I accept some angles may not give the picture you want but the officials will have different angles.

What I suspect happens is ref gives the foul and assistant leaves it at that because at this level they are mostly crap. Whereas he should say to the ref, there was uncontrolled contact on the player, giving the ref more information to make the decision if he didn't see it. They are a team at the end of the day and how they couldn't spot the severity of the challenge between them is ridiculous. Clare definitely deserves more than a three game ban and probably won't get any. There has to be a deterrent for future incidents like this.
  • edited August 18
    Check this out from Orient's opening game against Bolton.

Orient's defender received a, yep, yellow card. Similar to Clare, their team are making reckless challenges, lacking control.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/24524119.bolton-wanderers-boss-issues-team-news-update-wrexham/

https://x.com/Supera__Moras/status/1822913883478130891?t=8QuP3PN1c3fZgb4rO4QTNA&s=19
  • PopIcon said:
    Clare went to injure his ankle, nowhere near the ball .. definite RED
    Clare never came across as a leg breaker type of guy.
    He always struck me as an intelligent man but a thick footballer. I think this is that again, he's thrown himself into a challenge where he's stopping the counter; if he gets the ball great, if not the man isn't going past him, but he's got the timing of it wrong and instead of tripping Edwards he's gone studs up into his ankle. It should absolutely be a red because it's reckless but I don't think it's malicious, Clare's brain just disappears on a football pitch.
    Definitely agree with that, he was always prone to a switch off and wouldn't have made that tackle in a game that wasn't a London derby against a former club.
  • Looking at the slow motion video replay, I'm trying to take hope from the fact that Edwards' foot leaves the ground from the Clare impact. If his studs had been embedded in the turf, the consequences don't bare thinking about. I'm thinking David Boost.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 19
    The best outcome would be a sprained ankle but the amount of times over the decades that CAFC player's look good then get crocked is so high:
    Leaburn, Wiggins, Page, Igor, Cullen, Bennett etc. 
    These half dozen jumped out of my memory but there are dozens and dozens of examples.
    Solly having his on going issues with his knee when he was at the top of his game before it slowed him down.

All teams get injuries but we alway lose players when they are looking good.
  • Carter said:
    When I saw it in real time I winced, Clare was never getting there and to go in as he did showed to me he had completely disengaged whatever football brain he possesses. He did similar a few times when he played for us. He clearly isn't a bad bloke but for me that's a straight red and for the linesman and the referee not to see it shows how dogshit the officials are at this level 
    I sit more or less under the camera and everyone around me saw the same - late tackle, no chance of getting the ball, deliberately took Edwards out, studs up, should have been a red.  

I know someone who knows Clare, he's not a malicious player.  That was sheer panic, as he knew Edwards was off on a good break.  Who knows what the manager is directing them to do though - I thought at one stage we might as well have done with it and throw on an oval ball.
  • It was late, didnt touch the ball,  and both feet were off the ground, how is that anything less than a red?
  • Hopefully the injury isn’t as bad as it looked but Jesus we are cursed aren’t we. Everytime bloody time we get a player that seems to be making a difference they get injured 
  • I don’t understand all these “Clare always seemed like a nice guy” and “he’s not usually like that” comments. Even if that’s true, it doesn’t change the fact that it was a horrific tackle that could have broken his leg. He must have known he wasn’t gonna get there first yet he commuted to the ‘tackle’ cynically because he also knew that one quick ball from Edwards up to GA (?) would have put him through on goal.
  • Edwards is injured because of Sean Clare. It isn’t down to his decision making, fitness, training, the pre season, because he has new player jinx, the Charlton medical system, the kit he wears.
    It is because he was chopped by Sean Clare. 
    I can see why the referee didn’t have the right view as to a red or yellow card, I didn’t myself, but in retrospect it was a straight red.
    If Clare had got sent off we would have won more convincingly.
    Best wishes Josh, however long or short a time it takes you will be very much welcome back into the side.
  • Whats happened to the bucket of cold water and a sponge?
  • Dreadful tackle, definate red and really unlucky for Edwards and us.
    However , looking at it from Clare and Orient's point of view, he'd have taken dogs abuse if he hadn't attempted to try to get a tackle in, because Edward's was away.
    I didn't think there was malicious intent and he seemed to be very apologetic afterwards.
    But still, it was an awful challenge and he should have been off.

• Carter said:
    When I saw it in real time I winced, Clare was never getting there and to go in as he did showed to me he had completely disengaged whatever football brain he possesses. He did similar a few times when he played for us. He clearly isn't a bad bloke but for me that's a straight red and for the linesman and the referee not to see it shows how dogshit the officials are at this level 
    I sit more or less under the camera and everyone around me saw the same - late tackle, no chance of getting the ball, deliberately took Edwards out, studs up, should have been a red.  

I know someone who knows Clare, he's not a malicious player.  That was sheer panic, as he knew Edwards was off on a good break.  Who knows what the manager is directing them to do though - I thought at one stage we might as well have done with it and throw on an oval ball.
    I had a very good view of the incident, and at the time didn't think it was a clear red card, and others around me agreed. At normal speed, it just looks like players going for the ball, and one being slightly late. With the benefit of a slo-mo replay it's obvious, but unless you introduce VAR across the EFL you're always going to have errors.

I've never understood the logic of the football disciplinary system where the ref gives a yellow, but afterwards realises they made a clear error and it should have been a red, as there's no way to upgrade it to a red after a game and give a 3 match ban. Whereas if the red hadn't seen the incident, you can give a 3 game ban. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sean Clare always seemed like a good guy. Although I never rated him as a centre back.
    Don’t get the good guy, I always thought he was a cock and a terrible footballer..

must admit, when I first saw it, I didn’t think it was that bad, just one of those where you leave a bit on the player.. but watching it 2nd time it was a woeful tackle.. actually tried to hurt him, as he had been torn a new one by Edwards! 
  • Carter said:

I had a very good view of the incident, and at the time didn't think it was a clear red card, and others around me agreed. At normal speed, it just looks like players going for the ball, and one being slightly late. With the benefit of a slo-mo replay it's obvious, but unless you introduce VAR across the EFL you're always going to have errors.

I've never understood the logic of the football disciplinary system where the ref gives a yellow, but afterwards realises they made a clear error and it should have been a red, as there's no way to upgrade it to a red after a game and give a 3 match ban. Whereas if the red hadn't seen the incident, you can give a 3 game ban. 
    Clare had both feet off the ground. He was late. Red all day long.
  • The best outcome would be a sprained ankle but the amount of times over the decades that CAFC player's look good then get crocked is so high:
    Leaburn, Wiggins, Page, Igor, Cullen, Bennett etc. 
    These half dozen jumped out of my memory but there are dozens and dozens of examples.
    Solly having his on going issues with his knee when he was at the top of his game before it slowed him down.

All teams get injuries but we always lose players when they are looking good.
    Youga, Basey etc Almost always our left backs...
  • @Sage Would the fact he was around the dugout in a boot rule out a broken ankle i assume? 
  • Sam_777 said:
    @Sage Would the fact he was around the dugout in a boot rule out a broken ankle i assume? 
    Boot is a safety protocol, helps reduce swelling. Doesn't rule out hairline fractures or ligament damage. A proper break would have seen him off to hospital I suspect. 
  • Did a very similar thing to my ankle playing football. A grade 2 tear. Was agony for a couple of days but healed surprisingly quickly. Could run fairly normally about 3/4 weeks later. Hopefully Edwards is similar or better 🤞🏼