Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrote to the FL about the Christmas fixture nonsense...

124»

Comments

• Options
    I'm not going to either could not afford Yeovil and NYE preparations scupper going to orient or watching it on TV.  Would have gone to Orient if it had been boxing day, firstly because it is only slightly further away than Charlton and secondly because I would not have had to be at my in laws for the day ;-(

I think Pragues well articulated questions were totally legitimate to ask as a charlton fan, even if we are as others have said but i not checked one of the few to really have been affected by it.

PA - Off subject but do you have to pay taxes both here and in Czeck republic?  How come you pay them here? - Just interested, so you if you want to answer feel free to whisper or as it is known now a days in box me.

• Options
    Hi Kap

It's basically rental income, ( thankfully I kept my UK house) plus a consultancy whose income allows me to contribute to UK pension ( Czech pension situation is a joke). It's possible I pay too much overall as Czech income and corp tax is now lower than UK, but it means I can still claim "domicile" in the UK. and complain loudly about how my taxes are spent:-)
  • Options
    Hi Kap It's basically rental income, ( thankfully I kept my UK house) plus a consultancy whose income allows me to contribute to UK pension ( Czech pension situation is a joke). It's possible I pay too much overall as Czech income and corp tax is now lower than UK, but it means I can still claim "domicile" in the UK. and complain loudly about how my taxes are spent:-)

cheers.  Sounds like the ganme made the travelling worth it, wish I'd been there too.

• Options
    To add fuel to the fire.

Millwall v Crystal Palace on New Years Eve must be a low profile game according to the establishment. In truth there will be 10,000 (if they are lucky) piss heads waging war with each other.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I got an answer from the FL and they deserve credit for making it a tailored, rather than cut and paste reply. The main points of interest are: She claims Orient vetoed playing Charlton on BD, whereas Solaraddick has heard something different. Any way to clarify this, Solar? She highlights that club themselves veto derby games on Boxing Days. I think the clubs should be told in no uncertain terms that unless they can successfully lobby for proper public transport on BD, they should stop putting thousands of people onto the roads unneccessarily.
    Even so, there were 3 possibly 4 clubs who would have had an easier journey to Yeovil than us: Bournemouth, Walsall, Brentford, and possibly Wycombe. 
    I haven't got round to asking her why after tomorrow we will have played only 10 home games and 13 away, which suggests we should have been at home either on BD or tomorrow. Perhaps someone else could throw that one at her.

Have to post her reply separately for some reason, coming up

• Options

Thank you for your email.

Boxing Day fixtures are a fine balancing act. In determining the fixtures for this day, the random process the computer programme uses to determine the fixtures will give a list of HOME clubs and a list of AWAY clubs. A selection process then begins to try and pair up clubs within a reasonable travelling distance but also avoiding clubs who have specifically asked not to be paired with their local rivals on Boxing Day. A solution is then determined for League 1 as a whole. Unfortunately the example you suggested would have been impossible as Yeovil Town requested not to play Exeter City at home on this day as it was one of their main “derby” fixtures. Similarly Leyton Orient requested not to be at home against Charlton Athletic which again narrows down the options.  

Television is now very much a part of football not only in England but throughout the world and as such does have a bearing on the scheduling of matches.  Our Clubs ultimately dictate whether we sign commercial agreements with our broadcasting partners, but in doing so they have to acknowledge and accept the consequences that this has for their club and its supporters. Obviously this is not always ideal for supporters, but in this economic climate clubs need the revenue generated by these deals to help them to survive.

When a game is selected for live broadcast, and specifically in the capital, both local police borough’s and Scotland Yard’s Public Order Branch are consulted before any change to date or kick-off time is confirmed.

The League are always interested to here the view of the supporters.  Your comments are noted and whilst this response may not be what you were hoping I do appreciate you taking the time to contact The League.

Kind Regards

Amanda

Amanda Craig

Customer Services Administrator

The Football League Limited
    Email - enquiries@football-league.co.uk

www.football-league.co.uk

• Options
    No-one likes us.............
  • Options

always interested to hear the views.............idiots. The end.

Waste of space (officially the end).

• Options

All seems very resonable to me. Sounds like they were stuck with very limited options for Boxing Day.

Would be interested to find out what games Charlton Vetoed.

• Options
    Does it mean we vetoed orient? 
    If they didn't want us there, couldn't the FL sent them to us instead? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All seems very resonable to me. Sounds like they were stuck with very limited options for Boxing Day.

Both of those vetos are happening over the coming week anyway, so I suspect that most teams didn't veto anyone.
  • Options

Both of those vetos are happening over the coming week anyway, so I suspect that most teams didn't veto anyone.

The vetos seem to be very specific, Orient said they don't want Charlton, at home, on boxing day. Not over that they don't want us over the Christmas period.

The fact that we didn't play them on boxing day might suggest that we said the same thing about them. I don't think you can assume we didn't do any.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We wouldn't care when we played them at The Valley, as they don't bring significant numbers and are not a big draw for our fans.

What has hurt us a bit financially is that since 2009/10 we have lost Brighton, Gillingham, Leeds, Millwall, Norwich and Southampton from our fixture list and only gained the two Sheffield clubs with significant away support. Then Sky took the Sheff Weds and Huddersfield fixtures, leaving us well down on away ticket revenue.

• Options
     She claims Orient vetoed playing Charlton on BD, whereas Solaraddick has heard something different. Any way to clarify this, Solar?

I did post the whole e-mail reply that I received from the FL earlier in the thread, Prague.
    I'll look out for you en route to or at Brisbane Rd on Saturday - be good to 'catch up' !
    C.
  • Options
    We wouldn't care when we played them at The Valley, as they don't bring significant numbers and are not a big draw for our fans.

What has hurt us a bit financially is that since 2009/10 we have lost Brighton, Gillingham, Leeds, Millwall, Norwich and Southampton from our fixture list and only gained the two Sheffield clubs with significant away support. Then Sky took the Sheff Weds and Huddersfield fixtures, leaving us well down on away ticket revenue.

Hopefully we will get Palace, Brighton, Leeds. Maybe Southampton & West Ham and hopefully not Millwall next year.
  • Options

Did we make any vetos? Or preferences even, if you can make those?
  • Options
    Seems like a very reasonable response to something of a storm in a tea cup issue.

What has changed in football now that fans think they have some divine right to dictate fixtures? Have a look back through the history books and you will see that this sort of thing has always been commonplace - a famous double header home and away to Plymouth on consecutive days immediately springs to mind.

You will not please everyone all of the time - and some people will always find cause to moan, but the response from the FL at least shows that they try to take their members - the clubs - views into consideration wherever possible these days.

• Options

You will not please everyone all of the time - and some people will always find cause to moan, but the response from the FL at least shows that they try to take their members - the clubs - views into consideration wherever possible these days.

yeah, sod the customers, so long as the clubs views are taken into consideration.

You're right, we should just shut up and pay up. Who do I think I am, moaning like this? :-)

See you at Orient, or are you watching on TV as you implied on another thread?

(No offence, we just have a different outlook on this kind of issue)
  • Options
    No offence taken. How could I be offended by such a non-issue.

And yes, will be watching the Orient match at home on the TV. I have my reasons, which are of no concern to anyone except my immediate family.

(By the way, did you go to both the Plymouth games I mentioned?)
  • Options
    No offence taken. How could I be offended by such a non-issue.

And yes, will be watching the Orient match at home on the TV. I have my reasons, which are of no concern to anyone except my immediate family.

(By the way, did you go to both the Plymouth games I mentioned?)

Translates as wife won't let me go   :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I confess that I have never been to Home Park....