Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Express - What's the banter like?

I wasn't sure how to word the title, so threw in the b word.
Anyway, i'm hoping to do some of the away games near the end of the season, but can't afford some of the silly train prices. I don't drive, and so i'm only left with one option.

I've never used the club coach services before. I've never really fancied long coach journeys, without booze, where everyones silent.

So what is the general atmosphere on the valley express like?
Will I look out of place without a pack-lunch and hip flask?
What is the dress-code for club coach journeys?
Are there any specific 'essentials' that i'll require on my journey?

Comments

• Options
    I take it you mean Valley away? To get on the Valley Express you have to have proof that you were once a Gillingham supporter.
  • Options
    George's Hastings Express always has strippers.
  • Options
    "My" coach to Fulham had an excess of Xmas sweets handed around....
  • Options
    being 17 and not being blessed with a weekly wage, valley away service suits me fine. for Exeter and Bournemouth the train was the more sensible, cheaper and quicker option. but you are right, for the games up north towards the end of the season it is ideal. usually a good atmosphere young and old on-board. sometimes a dvd is played and if you have an ipad, ipod, kindle etc the journey tends to fly by. also have stops on both journeys for toilet and food etc.

Good value for money and not as bad as some may think!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
  • Options
    Don't you kick a ball about at the Motorway service station stops?

No fun! Not like the old Lewis coaches days!

;o)
  • Options
    In the same boat. Never been on the coach always trained.

What are the coach's like for get off after the game? Also if we were to achieve the p word say up Oldham would they hang around longer.
  • Options
    Coaches are always going to leave when the away fans leave. They won't leave half their passengers behind because the match has finished and the driver is keen to get away. On the other hand, if you wander back to the coach 20 minutes late because you've been for a quick drink on your own you could have to walk home . . .
  • Options
    I've only used the eagle Valley express for a few home games and if that's anything to go by, I'd take a book, an ipod and some sleeping pills...........................
  • Options
    Started going away on Lewis coaches when I was 15. Suited me just fine then. Imagine videos and iPods make it more pleasant these days - but no booze on the coach now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that right, no booze on the coach????
  • Options
    Is that right, no booze on the coach????
    It is right
  • Options
    So what is the general atmosphere on the valley express like? Electric!
    Will I look out of place without a pack-lunch and hip flask? Pack lunch is a must. Bewilling to share though.
    What is the dress-code for club coach journeys? Sensible shoes, Flat cap, Pipe and Shooting stick.
    Are there any specific 'essentials' that i'll require on my journey? To be able to wake up 30 seconds from stop, wipe the slobber from your face and alight in a dignified mannor
  • Options
    Good value for money? Yes. Banter? Nonexistant
  • Options
    Who are we playing today dear?
  • Options
    Daily Mail mayhem.
  • Options
    I have used the Maidstone and the Weald Coach for some years now, together with youngsters from my family and their friends. The crowd is a mixture of all ages, what we are doing is to pay £7 return to be driven close the the Ground without even thinking about having to park. It releases you to read, sleep, chat, and just maybe to win on the raffle. Once you get to know people it is a very comfortable experience, I chat at the Bus Stop, chat on the Coach, buy a programme, and read it on the way home before passing it on to my Grandson. I live in North West Kent, why on earth would I drive ?
  • Options
    And to reiterate, no alcohol.
  • Options
    Don't you kick a ball about at the Motorway service station stops?

No fun! Not like the old Lewis coaches days!

;o)
    Nooooooo!!
    I still have nightmares about Lewis coaches.
    Why did one have to break down on every away game?

• Options
    Get yourself a hip flask, or if that's not hardcore enough for your required consumption, use a regular flask filled to the brim with a nice single malt..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get yourself a hip flask, or if that's not hardcore enough for your required consumption, use a regular flask filled to the brim with a nice single malt..................
    Thus risking everyone else on the coach getting sent home. Not worth it imo.

• Options
    Oh come on.
  • Options
    If you're getting the valley express from Yangzhou you're gonna need a drink
  • Options
    I use them from time to time and they're fine. Not quite as much fun as the Lewis coaches used to be though! They normally get to the ground about an hour before ko so time for a couple of beers.
  • Options
    Funniest thing I saw on the Valley Express was on arrival in the Woolwich Road for a home fixture at the end of last season when two old boys refused to get off.

"We've seen enough of that rubbish for one season" they told the driver firmly as they unscrewed their thermos flasks and started pouring milky tea and settling down for a quiet afternoon on the coach.
  • Options

lol Grumpy.

This thread is funny. Like it.

Granpa i can see why you would choose Valley Express makes perfect sense but i think he's talking more about the long trip up north.
  • Options
    For stress free and value for money there is nothing to beat Valley Express. When i stayed for a few weekends in Maidstone - it provided a stress free way of getting to the games. If you want to get pi55ed - go by train.
  • Options
    took my little boy to a couple of random northern games last year and he really enjoyed the experiences. great value for money but there really are some cranks on there,well the bexleyheath pick up anyway.
  • Options
    went on it to spurs last season..never again.

apart from some lads a few seats in front who had sneaked Fosters on board, barely a word was spoken. travelling to an away game knowing you can't have a drink before you get in the ground is torture. alcohol + football=fun.
  • Options
    When it says no alcohol, does it really mean no alcohol or no blatant alcohol ?