Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4-4-2 or 4-3-3?

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Does anyone think we should play 4-3-3 this year rather than the usual 4-4-2 system?

Comments

• Options
    Only if our players fit into it better
  • Options
    4-3-1-2
  • Options
    If we go 4-3-3 I think Danny green will be sold
  • Options
    4-3-3 as we looked amazing against Welling playing that formation.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Total football. 10-10-10

Sorry. This:
    JT said:

4-3-1-2

• Options
    Has to be 433, or you can call it 451, with a lone striker who can run the channels and hold the ball up. This is the way that almost all the best teams play and encourages players to play through midfield rather than hoofing the ball up for the big centre forward to knock it down or on for the second striker. I'm encouraged that Chris used 433 for at least part of the game against Welling and hopefully any new signings will reflect this style of play.
  • Options
    Assuming no one else comes in, I'd build the team around Kerms.
  • Options
    We need to be able to play both.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

We need to be able to play both.

Have to agree. Doesn't have to be either/or, all depends on how the opposition set up.
  • Options
    Both - good modern football sides are able to change their formation during the game to adapt to different circumstances. This is one of the things that becomes more possible when you have a settled side. If Friend or another mobile centre back joins - we might also be able to go to 3-5-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    both. Would not rule out 3 5 2 with wing backs at some stage as well.
  • Options
    How abour bringing back some old formations?

M
    W

BWP Kermo
    JJ Stephens Wagstaff
    Wiggins Hollands Solly
    Morrison Cort
    Hamer

Xmas Tree

BWP
    Kermo Waggy
    JJ Hollands Stephens
    Wiggins Cort Morrison Solly
    Hamer

Kamikaze

Haynes BWP Wagstaff
    JJ Kermo
    Wiggins Hollands Stephens Solly
    Morrison
    Hamer
  • Options
    4-3-3 means you couldn't play Kermogant and BWP together effectively. You'd play Wagstaff, Kermogant/BWP, Haynes.
  • Options
    Choose the system to suit the players you have. CP used 4-4-2 last season and we won the league. Don't see why it needs changing. 4-3-3 is an option when chasing a game in the last 20 mins or as a Plan B.
    I like 4-4-2 because it gives you partnerships all over the pitch - Centre Backs, Cent Mids, Front 2, Right Back/ Right Mid, Left Back / Left Mid. Then you have The GK/ Centre Backs as a trio. Partnerships develop with continuity and we are now 12 months in with this squad.
  • Options
    after the Euro's, 4-3-3 is going to be all over the English leagues this summer as journeyman managers have illusions of becoming the next Guardiola....

As Tutt-Tutt says, play to your strengths.
  • Options
    It would be silly to change a system that was a sturdy,solid and organised unit from last season. Of course you need to question who will be left on the bench and how... but CP doesn't have a problem with doing that. So I would anticpate a 442.
  • Options

after the Euro's, 4-3-3 is going to be all over the English leagues this summer as journeyman managers have illusions of becoming the next Guardiola....

As Tutt-Tutt says, play to your strengths.

Not sure about that, haven't international and European sides been playing variations of 4-3-3 for several seasons now?

Think he'll start with 4-4-2 and see how it goes. We had a great season but didn't control as much as we'd have probably hoped to.

I remember Curbs using 4-4-2 but switching to 5-3-2 or 4-5-1 if we were on a bad run or needed a change. Parky did the same, some good football in a 4-5-1, teams found ways to stop it, so we switched to a more direct 4-4-2.

Best if we can play either really.