Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever dissowned a mate

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
At football,I have.I think it was the late seventies.We were playing Spurs and I went with my mate who supported them.Over 30000 crowd of which over half was away support,they were everywhere.We went one up in the first minute and then we got completely battered.They must have created a clear cut chance every five minutes and only took one of them;then unbelieveably Flanagan scored a hattrick in the last twelve minutes and we won 4-1.Even Andy Nelson said we were rubbish.Leaving the ground along with some seriously big and p.....d off Spurs fans around me, my mate suddenly lost it.He started jabbing me telling me the result was a joke,we were crap,the second goal was a mile offside and when you come down the Lane you are going to get battered.I thnk the only reason I got out alive was they thought he was going to batter me anyway.He still feels a sense of injustice to this day.

Comments

• Options
    A mate of mine didnt speak to me for nearly two years after i smashed is sister. And he's a palace fan.
  • Options
    Bloody sisters ey!
  • Options

A mate of mine didnt speak to me for nearly two years after i smashed is sister. And he's a palace fan.

Millwall mate of mine fell out with his brother over the same thing.

• Options

hahahahaha
  • Options

Lol, very good!
  • Options
    Im close to dissowning a mate

Will say no more
  • Options
    Oh dear,Just be thankful it wasn't his mum!
  • Options
    I disowned a mate because he tried getting with my ex fiancé, good enough reason?
  • Options
    yeah, two, leftbehind & dave mehmet for recent digs :-)
  • Options
    Nah, but I've been disowned a few times. Didn't notice, mostly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I disowned a mate because he tried getting with my ex fiancé, good enough reason?

Only if he didnt clear the air with you first, as way of a gentlemanly word, only polite IMO.
  • Options

John Terry?

• Options
    DA9 said:

Only if he didnt clear the air with you first, as way of a gentlemanly word, only polite IMO.
    No he was emailing her behind my back then she showed me the emails, I asked him what happened and he didn't say anything so we haven't spoken since!
  • Options

I have (or should I say, had) a mate whom I was very pally with. CAFC supporter who is known to many who go away from home as he didn't miss a game, home or away for 5 years. We used to play golf together, every weekend, sometimes both sat & sundays - always before a game (home & away) and many times got up at daft o'clock to play before an away game somewhere.....

One day he suddenly decided to give up playing golf.........just like that. From playing every weekend, in all weathers to zilch, Nothing, Nada.We still went to away games but for me it started losing its interest now golf wasn't part of the package. He then started a crusade to walk round the coastline of Britain, bit by bit. - started at Charlton and went east...........via the Medway towns, the kent coast, onto sussex, dorset, devon etc - doing 15/20 miles a day during blank football weekends, summer holidays etc. After 4 or 5 years of this he got round to Wales. One year I helped him by driving him down there and palying some golf in Swansea & Cardiff whislt he did S.Wales and drove him back (he doesn't drive) - a few weeks later we played Tranmere and on the way home we diverted to Tenby so that I could drop him off & he could continue his walk - i drove home that night getting in around 3am sunday morning.

so, where is this all going, you may ask.

Well, we had a falling out over something trivial - he thought I had let him down as I said I would pick him up from work & take him to see his parents who were in hospital, but I couldn't find where he was waiting and seeing as just the day before he had thrown his mobile into the Thames in a fit of pique I couldn't contact him to say I couldn't wait any longer and had to get off home.

That was 2 years ago and we havn't spoken since. I beleive he still goes home & away but I haven't seen him to say hello - he has resisted all attempts at reconcilation and so things are as they are.

• Options

I have (or should I say, had) a mate whom I was very pally with. CAFC supporter who is known to many who go away from home as he didn't miss a game, home or away for 5 years. We used to play golf together, every weekend, sometimes both sat & sundays - always before a game (home & away) and many times got up at daft o'clock to play before an away game somewhere.....

One day he suddenly decided to give up playing golf.........just like that. From playing every weekend, in all weathers to zilch, Nothing, Nada.We still went to away games but for me it started losing its interest now golf wasn't part of the package. He then started a crusade to walk round the coastline of Britain, bit by bit. - started at Charlton and went east...........via the Medway towns, the kent coast, onto sussex, dorset, devon etc - doing 15/20 miles a day during blank football weekends, summer holidays etc. After 4 or 5 years of this he got round to Wales. One year I helped him by driving him down there and palying some golf in Swansea & Cardiff whislt he did S.Wales and drove him back (he doesn't drive) - a few weeks later we played Tranmere and on the way home we diverted to Tenby so that I could drop him off & he could continue his walk - i drove home that night getting in around 3am sunday morning.

so, where is this all going, you may ask.

Well, we had a falling out over something trivial - he thought I had let him down as I said I would pick him up from work & take him to see his parents who were in hospital, but I couldn't find where he was waiting and seeing as just the day before he had thrown his mobile into the Thames in a fit of pique I couldn't contact him to say I couldn't wait any longer and had to get off home.

That was 2 years ago and we havn't spoken since. I beleive he still goes home & away but I haven't seen him to say hello - he has resisted all attempts at reconcilation and so things are as they are.

All sounds a bit gay to me.
  • Options
    On the face of it, your mate sounds like a bit of an ungrateful sad case who owes you an apology.
  • Options

On the face of it, your mate sounds like a bit of an ungrateful sad case who owes you an apology.

knowing all the in's and out's of this as I do, having been involved, I make you right.

• Options
    Not

knowing all the in's and out's of this as I do, having been involved, I make you right.

You gonna apologise to golfie then?

;-)
  • Options
    he gave up golf to go walking? i think you've had a touch mate.
  • Options
    my cousin passed away two weeks ago, aged 56. His brother has two children who he has intermittant contact with. Neither have contacted him or his parents, their grandparents, to pass on their condolances etc on the loss of their Uncle. I am getting close to disowning them I can tell you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading @golfaddicks post has anybody else started humming the Simon Bate's "Our Tune" thing...
  • Options

Not

You gonna apologise to golfie then?

;-)
    LOL.

• Options
    Disowned a few friends - and some family - mainly due to them borrowing money and then not bothering to repay it!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Late night curry. One mate vanished to kharsi qtr hour previously, a 2nd chucking up outside, a 3rd asleep on the table. When my last mate prepared to pay a visit, I summoned the waiter. "I don't know these people, I just want to pay my own bill and leave!" They still don't let me forget it 25 years on.
  • Options
    Had to drop a few when I joined the force, too many dodgy goings on and such
  • Options
    Not disowned a mate. Have moved on from them when I felt the friendship wasn't working though.

Remember one mate at school. Seemed alright, maybe a bit rough round the edges, went back to his sisters for lunch one day and for some reason he stubbed a cigarette out on his arm. I thought that's a bit weird for me and stopped hanging out.

I have disowned a sister. Dad was seriously ill and even though she lived closest to the hospital she wasn't around much. Then on the day dad died (We knew when it was going to happen because of the type of illness) it was decided only our mother and us (myself and three sisters) would be present but she brought along her husband. Then at the funeral she disappeared immediately after the ceremony. If a time exists to put someone else (mum) first then that is it.

A few months later her husband was doing some work for us but then did a runner with the money we had given him. I wouldn't expect her to pay the money back but she didn't even apologize. She even took him back when he returned.

Many more smaller issues.

She is also an alcoholic and has had more care and attention than any of us and has given mum a lot of verbal abuse down the years. She is slightly paranoid in the sense that she thinks the family are all hanging out together and leaving her out of our party. None of us see each other much.

One day I thought enough is enough and I've only spoken to her once in the last 6 years (at mums sixtieth when she was absolutely out of her head - didn't want to make a scene and ruin the day).

Didn't make a big deal about it, didn't enjoy it, just decided I was better off without her.
  • Options
    I have been disowned on a couple of occasions (that I've noticed!). I do have an unfortunate way about me which can lead to this.

One occasion went like this: I worked with a great bunch of guys for a few years and when we went our separate ways the one thing that kept us talking was football - me Charlton, the Offendee Ar*enal, others were Spurs & Villa. We used to send round emails about footie - how our team was doing, comments on how the other guys' teams were doing. We also used to send round jokes - I sent round a fairly tasteless football-related joke (can't remember what it was) and Ar*enal fan got the right ar*e about it. I asked the other two guys if they were offended and they said not, so I decided not to apologise - I just sent an email saying 'no more jokes from me then'! Ar*enal fan now has nothing to do with me - we used to meet up for the Great British Beer Festival, but that doesn't happen now. The footie emails still go round but he doesn't respond to anything I say. Shame as I really rated him work-wise and he was a great guy to have a drink with. I wonder if he can even remember what offended him - I bloody can't.

I called another mate a liar... because he lied to me about something I considered quite important. That was the end of our beautiful friendship.

I also managed to get my wife disowned. In the lead up to our wedding she was on the phone to a friend of hers and it sounded like she was inviting this friend round the night before the wedding and I said (obviously too loudly) that I didn't want her friend round. This was taken personally (not surprisingly), but all I meant was we would have too much to do to have anyone round on that particular evening. Never saw the woman again.

I'm sure there's others. Shit - I'm a fecking nightmare!

• Options
    Disowned a mate a long while back, we had been friends from the age of about 5, as we got older he started getting into some dodgy stuff, I turned a blind eye as it never had a direct affect on ordinary people, however, when I found out that he had broken into a house on Xmas Eve and stolen kids presents, that was the end and we"ve never spoken since.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I had a school mate, who after leaving school used to tell more & more, of what I considered to be lies.

I remember him telling me that he'd been to the British Open at Sandwich & had stayed to the end.

It ended at about 7pm & we were talking in the Blackheath pub at 7.30 !!

We went to visit him at Uni. We couldn't find him as no one there knew him as Ed, because he was using the name Greg.

Anyway, I finally gave up with him, when he told me he had cancer, that had spread throughout his back & he had a few months to live.

He never mentioned it again & was perfectly fine. I've only "bumped into him" a few times since.

Weirdo.
  • Options

DA9 said:

No he was emailing her behind my back then she showed me the emails, I asked him what happened and he didn't say anything so we haven't spoken since!
    Wrong un, should have broached it with you first, no legal requirement to do so obviously, but just the done thing.