Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I can't quite beleive this.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2012
    JohnBoyUK said:

Donning my Kippah...

The anti-semitic abuse home and away is well known yet nothing gets done about it. Ars*nal, Chelsea and West Ham absolutely love their "Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz" ditty. The constant hissing. It's gone on for decades. Thats why the whole Y-Army thing was born in the first place. Make it a badge of pride, embrace it and chuck it back with both barrels.

I'm amazed by this. I'd assumed that all died out in the 90s. That's shocking.
    I'm also surprised because I didn't realise Arsenal still sing.
  • Options
    A couple of points:

1. For a Society of Black LAWYERS, they don't appear to have a particularly good grasp of the law. I'm sure that Spurs are correct when they say that the distinguishing point in law is the intent to cause offence, and I don't see how, in this context, such an intent exists. I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem to make sense.

2. This paragraph had me incensed: Asked about Jewish fans themselves singing the chant, he said: "That's not acceptable either."

How DARE these people try to dictate what is 'acceptable' in terms of how a particular section of the community choose to refer to themselves. This is the height of rank hypocracy, especially from an organisation which presumably exists to combat discrimination against another section of the community. Others above have already drawn the parallel with black rap artists using the 'n' word. I'm not sure what the SBL's position on this is (if any), but I certainly don't think that this is a very smart move on their part.
  • Options
    Are they some sort of PC Vigilante mob...?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think the law on racism is not just about intent it is about percepetion

If I perceive the word yid to be racially offencive to me then by law the intent to offend has been reached

At the end of the day they will win it will be outlawed to sing it the top 50 persons who start the chant will be nicked charged and banned from footie then word will get rd and it will stop

I know of Jewish fans at spurs that are disgusted that it is sang and I know of Jewish fans at spurs that embrace and sing it for the reasons John gives above
  • Options

I know of Jewish fans at spurs that are disgusted that it is sang and I know of Jewish fans at spurs that embrace and sing it for the reasons John gives above

If it is genuinely offensive to some then it should be stopped, and the other fans that are singing it should respect this. BUT, I still don't see what it has to do with the SBL.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    @JohnBoyUK not sure Spurs are backing the fans more defending them. If you do feel that Spurs are backing the fans in the use of this word, then why do they as you state, ban banners using this word.

The anti-semitic abuse directed at Spurs (& also Ajax) is unacceptable. I agree with you as to why Spurs originally started using the word in question. I also agree with NLA as to the fact that the use of the word by Spurs fans divides the Jewish Community. Some people do not like the word to be used full stop, and some others feel that when the word is used by football fans, for whatever reason, it encourages the others to respond. It is telling that you do not type the word.

There is an arguement stated by some that the SBL are using football to promote themselves. I have no knowledge as to whether this is correct or not. I would agree with those that state that football has moved on massively in terms of how people are treated. However, football like society is not perfect, and there is therefore some room for improvement. If the SBL helps football move forward good for them.

• Options
    edited November 2012

@JohnBoyUK not sure Spurs are backing the fans more defending them. If you do feel that Spurs are backing the fans in the use of this word, then why do they as you state, ban banners using this word.

The anti-semitic abuse directed at Spurs (& also Ajax) is unacceptable. I agree with you as to why Spurs originally started using the word in question. I also agree with NLA as to the fact that the use of the word by Spurs fans divides the Jewish Community. Some people do not like the word to be used full stop, and some others feel that when the word is used by football fans, for whatever reason, it encourages the others to respond. It is telling that you do not type the word.

There is an arguement stated by some that the SBL are using football to promote themselves. I have no knowledge as to whether this is correct or not. I would agree with those that state that football has moved on massively in terms of how people are treated. However, football like society is not perfect, and there is therefore some room for improvement. If the SBL helps football move forward good for them.

So I learnt today, there's a UEFA ban on any religious symbols being used on banners in European matches which may cause offence elsewhere, so THFC were bringing the whole club into line with that by imposing the ban which is fair enough.

Interesting comments by the Met in an article posted on the Daily Mail website tonight, saying that Spurs or the fans wont be prosecuted for the use of the Y word. Will be interesting to see what happens if Herbert does take legal action later what will happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2229879/Tottenham-fans-told-police-Yid-Army-ok.html
  • Options
    Surely labelling yourself as the Society of black lawyers is segregating yourself even further? Highlighting the fact they are black seems to me to make an issue of it, when in fact no one really has an issue with their colour/ sex/ sexual orientation at all.
  • Options
    Sadly Herbert, like a lot of the New Labour, Fabian mob don't realise just how counter productive these sorts of amateur attempts at managing peoples thoughts are. Everytime something like this makes the press it just makes normal people more cynical and less interested in any instance of real racism that may occur.

If we've come to the point of looking to a bunch of lawyers for a moral compass we really are up shit creek.