Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks reported for abuse of bhafc (prior to last night's fixture)

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

I'm not equating them, I'm equating the exaggerated stereotype of each in each area.

And just like I find it hard to believe I had to spell out so much which should be implied in the above post, I didn't feel I had to say 'there's nothing wrong with being gay'. How can there be anything wrong with that which you do not choose?

I remember a school teacher going off at a pupil because he shouted "I'm not gay!" and the teacher said "what's wrong with being gay?". Same thing. As a straight man, why the hell would you care? Unless it was going to affect your ability to pull birds. (Joke).

I didn't mean to suggest you necessarily thought being gay was a bad thing, but that's my point: the examples of stereotypes you gave aren't the same. Nobody would want to be described as stupid, or (presumably) inbred.

Personally, I find it hard to believe football fans who sing songs about Brighton fans being gay are making a big satirical point.

• Options
    Why is it ok to abuse fat people/northerners but not gays?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

cafctom said:

As stated on another thread, has anybody given ANY consideration to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, these songs are sung as a way of laughing at the ridiculous stereotype that 'Brighton is made up of only gay people'.

Not necessarily a way of targeting a social group, or abusing someone.

I just find it hard to believe that people would sing these songs because they genuinely believe the myth that all gay people live in Brighton.

At the end of the day, if a set of supporters genuinely were homophobic and wanted to offend, then they would sing something a bit stronger than "we can see you holding hands" FFS!

Sorry if I've at all stepped on your point but I only just saw it.
    No, I'm glad you said what you said mate - Couldn't have put it any better myself. Reassuring to know that there are others willing to look at the situation with a bit of common sense for what it actually is, rather than try and portray it as something it really isn't.
  • Options
    what about if we wore pink shirts and tight shorts or replaced the sword on a Our badge with another object?
  • Options

PL54 said:

So can anyone provide some form of estimate as to the number of gay fans at the game last night ? Were there any ?

That's the second time you've asked that ridiculous question. Do you think they have to give their sexual orientation when they buy their season tickets? It does not matter if it's 1 or 1000. That's not the point.
    My point is that I imagine the majority of people at Brighton who are so upset by the chanting are not gay - much the same as the assumedly non-gay people in this thread who are so traumatised by a chant about holding hands.

Perhaps there could be some kind of bobble hat bingo bus meeting for the combined outraged at our next game against them ?
  • Options
    SE10 said:

That is next years agenda for the PC brigade.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Why is it ok to abuse gay people but not black people?
  • Options

SE10 said:

That is next years agenda for the PC brigade.
    Indeed, one thing at a time, although I think the referee is next. Did you know that in Rugby they call them sir...zzz.
  • Options
    are the village people reforming?
  • Options
    But the telling of think Irish jokes, tight Scots/Jews, etc etc "jokes" perpetuates, make acceptable and reinforces the stereotypes. And those stereotypes are nearly always negative.

And yes we all know some Irish/Scots/Gay/Jewish comedian's tell those jokes too.

The homophobic songs aren't directed at Gay men. They are directed at straight man because to some suggesting that someone is gay ("holding hands") is an insult as being gay is a "lesser" form of manliness. Hence a player is a "poof" if he doesn't get stuck into tackles or is injured.

So the songs are both an insult (you're not a real man) and a reinforcement of a negative stereotype (being gay is bad and an insult).

And regardless of whether people like it or not both homophobic and racist abuse are banned in football grounds.

Sometime soon we'll get around to sexism but one step at a time, one step at a time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

But the telling of think Irish jokes, tight Scots/Jews, etc etc "jokes" perpetuates, make acceptable and reinforces the stereotypes. And those stereotypes are nearly always negative.

And yes we all know some Irish/Scots/Gay/Jewish comedian's tell those jokes too.

The homophobic songs aren't directed at Gay men. They are directed at straight man because to some suggesting that someone is gay ("holding hands") is an insult as being gay is a "lesser" form of manliness. Hence a player is a "poof" if he doesn't get stuck into tackles or is injured.

So the songs are both an insult (you're not a real man) and a reinforcement of a negative stereotype (being gay is bad and an insult).

And regardless of whether people like it or not both homophobic and racist abuse are banned in football grounds.

Sometime soon we'll get around to sexism but one step at a time, one step at a time.

well said
  • Options

there were 14 gay 3 transgender and 2 undecided--non of which were holding hands.

Maybe not holding hands, but made for quite a conga.

• Options

The homophobic songs aren't directed at Gay men.

And there was me thinking that laws against homophobic abuse were intended to prevent homosexuals from being abused...

And I'm still not sure how being accused of holding hands is deemed to be abusive.

• Options

PL54 said:

Seriously though, how many homosexuals were abused by this chanting ?

How about how many CAFC fans are embarrassed by this section of neanderthal wankers we have that think this sort of behaviour is acceptable? Classless inbred tossers the lot of 'em.

oh please, get off your high horse. The fact that you are clearly disgusted at those that think homophobic chanting is acceptable is fine but to then call them inbred tossers? does that not smack of hypocrisy
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

The homophobic songs aren't directed at Gay men.

And there was me thinking that laws against homophobic abuse were intended to prevent homosexuals from being abused...

And I'm still not sure how being accused of holding hands is deemed to be abusive.

Yes, but homosexuals are being abused, whether or not they are in the crowd was Henry's point. Imagine a load of racist chanting is there were no people of colour in the crowd? Still not abusive? and holding hands is suggesting that they are gay and using it as a derogatory remark. It's not as bad as saying they should be strung up, granted (and I realise nobody said that) but its still intended as an insult.

When are people going to realise that being called gay when you aren't isn't insulting, it's simply factually incorrect?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

When are people going to realise that being called gay when you aren't isn't insulting, it's simply factually incorrect?

Which is exactly the point that I was just making and that the PC brigade seem to be ignoring. Accusing heterosexual men of holding hands is not homophobic abuse.

• Options
    Can't we all just get along? oh.
  • Options
    Know for a certain, theres a few Brighton lads with a flag that has "BHAFC - Raping blokes since (?)" or something along them lines on it...

Find that funny myself.
  • Options
    Who on here would choose to be gay or if they had their life again would wish to be born gay?

If not, why not?
  • Options

Must say if this homophobic chanting went on last night it wasn't very audible from where i was over towards the right hand side of our support. And it's not as if there was an electric atmosphere to drown it out.

My thoughts exactly, Chris.

Said to Mr F on the way out that our chanting was pleasant & uplifting .....

Seriously, didn't hear anything of a nawty nature from those around us in Row C.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Who on here would choose to be gay or if they had their life again would wish to be born gay?

If not, why not?

I think you should start by answering your own question!
  • Options

If not, why not?

you obviously have issues.

• Options
    Meh, get over it... It's not homophobic at all. No one is saying anything derogatory; it's being done to wind up straight Brighton fans. People need to stop being so pedantic and overly politically-correct for no apparent reason. Know a gay Brighton fan, he doesn't give a toss about it; infact, finds it funny.
  • Options
    Haven't seen CAFC fans this divided since the signing of Dennis Rommedahl..!
  • Options

Haven't seen CAFC fans this divided since the signing of Dennis Rommedahl..!

Was he a bender then? JOKE EVERYONE!!!!!!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Meh, get over it... It's not homophobic at all. No one is saying anything derogatory; it's being done to wind up straight Brighton fans. People need to stop being so pedantic and overly politically-correct for no apparent reason. Know a gay Brighton fan, he doesn't give a toss about it; infact, finds it funny.

This.

Usual crowd having to throw definitions and over the top political and psychological analysis at something so simple.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

it's being done to wind up straight Brighton fans..

Exactly my point. Being gay being used as an insult but for some that is OK.

• Options

there will also be no calling Leeds 'dirty northern bastards' on saturday then

There bloody well better be! I hate dirty Leeds.
  • Options
    So, anyone get any cock or arse last night?
  • Options
    LOL