Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley Football Club Fan Here

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Got to love a club that my favourite ever Barnsley player Neil "Redders" Redfearn played for. Really impressed that it's only 20 quid for the match ticket. With you being a former premiership regular upto this season and being based in the more expensive captial, I am impressed with the price. Especially when I paid 22 quid to stand in a shed stand cramped together at Colchester. My best friends step grandad is a Charlton season ticket holder and I hope to catch up with him before the game whilst down there for some banter over a drink. I've heard the surrounding area is good for food and so I might try out your local chippy.

As for the match, well I write this before setting off to our match against Bristol City at home. We all expected us to build on last season, but none of us can really believe how well we are playing. Infact having players, managers and fans of Southampton and Cardiff saying stuff like "we should be beating teams like Barnsley" spurred us on due to lack of respect. I think we have had Phil Joslin twice before and won both matches 3-1 which can only be a good sign haha. I will check back regularly to see how popular this thread is.

Comments

• Options
    Well don't check back and expect to hear too many favourable comments about 'Neil 'Redders' Redfearn. He was complete and utter toss for us!
  • Options
    Are you serious about Redfearn being your favourite player?? He was absolute tosh for us, and is single-handedly blamed for us going straight back down that season. I thought 'Albatross' was his middle name?

I remember us beating you 5-3 at The Valley many years ago - you'll no doubt find a bit of reminiscing on here about it. You were 3-0 up after about half an hour. Be good if the forthcoming encounter is half as much fun.

Enjoy your visit.
  • Options
    You won't win too many popularity contests by dredging up the rotund, lumbering ghoul of Neil Redfearn!! Or Brendan O'Connell............

Is it really 10 seasons since Barnsley graced the Premier League - jeez time flies.........
  • Options
    welcome to the board!

I'm looking forward to this one as my brother in law originates from Barnsley and is a fan.

We always enjoyed the Charlton v Barnsley games back in the nineties.

Wasn't it Barnsley when Pettersen got kicked and there was a mass bundle with all the players except the Barnsley keeper?
  • Options
    welcome to the site, always good to get opposing views.

You are doing well. I looked at the table to see how you are fairing, and automatically looked at the bottom, and made my way up !! I know its lacking in respect, but its automatically what i did.

We're doing ok, but still don't look the finished article. You'll either get something from the game, or we'll spank you !

£20 is very good, our club are fair like that. What you charging away fans this season ?
  • Options
    i think redfearn scored 12+ premiership goals in barnsleys premiership year hence his popularity with dreamer..... let us know how many fans bristol city bring tonight to yours
  • Options
    you love to no about away support.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]you love to no about away support.
    lol, i like to compare , see which team has loyal support etc ;-)
  • Options
    would have been one more ,if i had got the lift i was promised,let down mug.
  • Options
    I don't think "loyal support" is the right tag really...richest support might be closer the mark!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You not left yet for Hull, Oohaah? Cutting it a bit fine aren't you?
  • Options
    Oh and Redfern can sit in the James Blunt Hall with Danny Murphy, Simon Jordan and Kevin Muscat if you ask me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You not left yet for Hull, Oohaah? Cutting it a bit fine aren't you?
    not going unfortunately i have to work
  • Options
    'not going unfortunately i have to work'

HAHAHAHAHA

'Its carnage'
  • Options
    Bristol City will probably bring around 500 and Redders is a legend with us all. Many of us have him as our greatest ever player. Got a good million for a player knocking on and he scored many goals in his time with us. Made a excellent captain and is held in high regard. Spoke to him when he came back up north and it was more of a homesick thing with him. Don't be too tight to him. Brendan the headless chicken was playing for us when I first started watching us and although he wasn't the best player, he was a tryer and gave his best. You will be charged 20 or 22 at the most for the return. Probably pop into that Angli whatever it is pub before the match and feel safe as well lol.
  • Options
    Redfearn was always one of those players who played well against us, hence Curbs signing him, sadly he rarely did the business for us, must have been the southern water or something.
  • Options
    Here are my views on the match tonight.........

http://www.barnsleyfc.org.uk/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=84517&posts=1#M543009

Anything else you wish to know please do ask. I am over the moon and know you will struggle with Brian Howard. You have to be worried about how easy we took apart a unbeaten team.
  • Options
    good result for your mob tonight fella.

Back down to earth with a bump saturday eh LOL
  • Options
    i think (hope) you find playing at home to playing at the valley a different kettle of fish.

what sort of side are you, a footballing side / coutner attack / direct / thugs etc ???
  • Options
    Passing on the floor for the most part, with the occasion long ball. Brian "Howie" Howard makes all the difference. The guy is a class act and by far the most popular player. Deserves being the captain. Dennis Souza is a really good free transfer at centre back. Typical Brazilian defender that can read the game great and awesome in the air. If Werling gets a shot on target, I just hope your keeper doesn't parry it to our man, as there's no way he will be catching it. Not seen power behind a shot like that for a long time. He's also hard at challengers so likely to get booked. Muller comes off his line all the time and is a great keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Agreed Muller is a great keeper, will be an intersting game on saturday with a good atmosphere, all to play for.
  • Options
    Haven't been to oakwell since you beat us 4-0, a miserable saturday for us and a great season as you got promoted with Bolton.
    It's pay back time?
  • Options
    Not sure if I would want to go to Barnsley - hate the town as it is a complete dump. Go through it from time to time on one of those semi-fast trains to Leeds - usually a nodding donkey and found the bus station was in a complete mess. I also think the Barnsley has the second most annoying accent in England after Manchester. I also went out with a lass from Barnsley which proved to be a waste of time.
  • Options
    Always seem to remember Charlton v Barnsley games were very tight in the eighties, but favourite won has gotta be the 5-3 someone mentioned earleir Ron Futcher Hatrick in first twenty mins then he got sent off & we won 5-3.

Hope you enjoy the game Saturday.
  • Options
    Barnsley beat a previously unbeaten Bristol City 3-0 and up to fourth. Could be quite a game on Saturday. Decent away record too.
  • Options
    Yet again we get disrespected by people. I've just seen we are 4/1 to win on saturday and you're 8/15. Well the bookies can keep on not giving us the credit we deserve. Here's the footage.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtWMmCS8nd8

As for Charlie Block and his thoughts on Barnsley, well I live in Huddersfield haha. Don't know if you heard, but after our last away match at Southampton, there fans were sore losers and caused a lot of bother at the police free match. The official supporters coach got the windows smashed in. I hope it's safer for away fans at your ground and that everyone behaves.
  • Options
    you've got no worries there mate. You'e more chance of being given a travel hamper for the journey home than a bricking !

Saw the goals last night, never heard of that Howard but took his goal very impressively. And christ that over bloke caught that free kick. Never heard of your manager either, but looks like he's put a good squad together on the cheap. I think we'll turn you over, i honestly do, but it should be a decent game.

Don't be too offended by our 'ten things you never knew about Barnsley' on Friday - its all tongue in cheek :-)
  • Options
    So coaches park far from the away stand? I wouldn't mind being thrown some food at me, as it would be cheaper than service station prices haha. You will know who Howie is come Setdy fella. Cutting onto his left foot before striking into the net was amazing. Werling does catch free kicks like nobody I can remember ever playing for us. Numerous times he was 40 yards out last night at 0-0 and fans were telling him to shoot which he did haha. You won't like him though because his bone crunching challengers will have you moaning. As for Simon Davey, well many of us are now eating humble pie because we thought he shouldn't have got the job and was too inexperienced and the cheap option. In the summer he got rid of some popular players and homegrown talent like Antony Kay, Dale Tonge etc and replaced them with unknown foreigners who have come good and gelled straight away. We have never won at your ground before, but a 3-0 win would put us above you :D
  • Options
    Now we understand why you call yourself dreamboy!
  • Options
    Hey look at this very good point our stat man as brought to our attention...........

http://www.barnsleyfc.org.uk/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=84610&mid=543450#M543450

I don't think we will beat you 3-0, i'm just making a point lol. I just hope you don't go all "big team mentality" on us and think you're in for a easy game. I cannot see more than a goal in it. If we go 2-0 up, we won't throw it away like the bloody dee dars from S6.