Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn vs Charlton | Sat 19th Oct 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

Now that the International break is over which thankfully saw England qualify for the 2014 World Cup, English domestic football resumes this weekend with Charlton facing a tricky away trip to Blackburn which would have been a Premier League fixture 10 years ago.

Charlton will be heading into the game with some confidence after two satisfying draws against Nottingham Forest and Blackpool just before the International Break, but Chris Powell’s men will be looking to try and snatch some vital three points to push them further away from the relegation spots.

The Opposition

The memories of Steve Kean and the constant changing of managers are still lingering in the minds of the Blackburn fans. However, since the promotion of Gary Bowyer from the back-room staff to permanent manager, Rovers have been gathering some kind of consistency which has helped them to a position of ninth within the Championship table.

Something else that Bowyer has organised is a decent squad with the likes of Chris Taylor and Matthew Kilgallon joining up with the stars within the side such as striker Jordan Rhodes and Captain Scott Dann.

In their last fixture, Blackburn narrowly lost 2-1 away at Wigan which also saw defender Grant Hanley sent-off, meaning he is suspended for this weekend’s match. Despite the result, Blackburn fans wouldn’t have been feeling too down especially because it was their first defeat for four matches.

In addition, Blackburn’s home record has been very strong too as Rovers have only lost one home game in five fixtures so far this season.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes has established himself to be one of the most prolific strikers outside of the Premier League. When Blackburn paid £8m for Rhodes, there were a few question marks over his price-tag but the Scottish International has re-paid some of that fee with Rhodes scoring 37 goals in 59 games and has already scored nine league goals this season.

The Line –Up

The recent experiment of a 4-1-2-1-2/4-3-1-2 formation which was deployed against Forest and Blackpool seems to be a promising formation for Chris Powell’s side and it may be used again this weekend for the trip to Blackburn.

However, hopefully for Powell the likes of key players such as Johnnie Jackson and Yann Kermorgant will be fit enough to make the trip to Ewood Park although right-back Chris Solly is still likely to miss-out through injury.

Jordan Cousins is likely to keep his place after two excellent performances, while Mark Gower and Dale Stephens will also look to keep their place in midfield, although the arrival of Jackson back from injury may mean one of the two are dropped. Bradley Pritchard will also be trying to return to the starting eleven after his recent absence.

Callum Harriott is likely to be dropped, which could see Jackson being played further forward or loan-signing Cameron Stewart may be given a first league start since signing from Hull.

Upfront may see Yann Kermorgant return although if the Frenchman isn’t fit then Sordell and Church are likely to continue together upfront. Church’s recent winner for Wales during the International break will give him some confidence heading into this weekend’s trip to Blackburn.

The Prediction

Can’t see better than another draw unfortunately, although on paper it wouldn’t be a bad result. 1-1.

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Hamer
    Wilson Morro Wood Wiggins
    Pritchard Cousins Stephens
    Jackson
    Yann Church

1-2 to the addicks

• Options
    I saw Blackburn stuff Bournemouth a few weeks ago and they're a decent side, much better than last year's rabble. A draw would be a good result. Think it will be a 1-2 defeat.
  • Options
    1-3
  • Options
    I just cannot see us stopping scoring...

0-6 to the Addicks
  • Options
    If we can take a point, I think we'll beat Wigan
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    3-0 Blackburn, Rhodes Hatrick
  • Options
    5-0 loss. Although we'll most likely get a 1-1 draw
  • Options
    3-3 (after being 2-0 up and 3-2 down)
  • Options
    Blackburn will score early on and with our team looking for the backing of our huge vociferous away following to inspire us to a comeback the inevitable happens
    5-0 to the bastard rovers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are Yann and JJ fit?
  • Options
    We were well beaten @ Burnley. Since then Powell has changed the formation and we seem to be stronger and more effective for the changes.
    Blackburn on paper are a far stronger side than us. Rhodes alone cost more than we have spent in the past 10 or so years. Games are not played on paper. We are due a win, we are well rested and have gained a couple of points against decent sides at 'the valley of death'. I am feeling optimistic.

Blackburn Rovers 1 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    I'm feeling positive that we won't lose this one
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options

Are Yann and JJ fit?

Sky said JJ could return, not sure about Yann.

3-1 to the Northerners.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    CP: We won't see @cjsolly at @onerovers, but @johnnie_jackson and Yann Kermorgant have a chance. #Pressday (IL) #cafc
  • Options
    I read last weekend that Rhodes was struggling with an injury so hopefully he wont play on Saturday
  • Options
    edited October 2013

0-6 to the Addicks

Apologies for a momentary lapse in judgement. That is my h/t prediction and I suspect we will score double figures 0-10 to the Addicks...

• Options
    Be happy to get a point from this one - not a happy hunting ground!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

0-6 to the Addicks

Apologies for a momentary lapse in judgement. That is my h/t prediction and I suspect we will score double figures 0-10 to the Addicks...

only 4 in the 2nd half! Pessimist ;-)
  • Options
    really hope Yann is fully fit and ready. If he isn't don't make the same mistake for the third time by playing him when he's injured.
  • Options
    My heart says 0-1, my head says 3-1.
  • Options
    A collection of some previous goal scored against Blackburn can be found here: http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/category/clubs/blackburn-rovers/

Featuring Jensen, El Karkouri and Stephens!

Hoping for a point on Saturday, although doubtful we'll get it.
  • Options
    There was no need to use the Diamond in the Blackpool game and CP eventually reverted to orthodox 4-4-2 after 55 mins, when the Diamond wasnt working. It would be a big risk to use the diamond in an away game, because it leaves the full back areas exposed and too easily overloaded. You really need two banks of four in defensive play, to give the Back Four protection. I'd expect 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

Difficult to work out how Blackburn lined up in their last two games. Possibly 5-3-2 v Watford (to match up) and 4-4-2 at Wigan. Phil Chapple would know.

Going up to this one. Not expecting too much, anything will be a bonus.
  • Options
    3-0 and sadly all we have to show for our efforts is 2 corners
  • Options
    Hope we can get a point, but head says we'll get nothing...............Match thread from 2 pm.
  • Options
    Disappointly, the Blackburn evening paper last night had a backpage headline 'Rovers triple fitness boost', which doesn't bode well for us :(
  • Options
    goal feast 3 - 3
  • Options
    There's a vastly inferior preview of the game here;

http://www.castrust.org/2013/10/blackburn-vs-charlton-preview-brfc-cafc/