Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player contracts - when should we start getting worried?

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
As RD enters his second week as owner of the mighty Addicks and with half the first team and SCP contracts running out in the summer I wonder when we should start getting worried.

Personally if one or two of our key players (Yann, Wiggins, Solly) haven't had theirs renewed by Feb I will be really concerned.

By the way what on earth is happening with Dom Dwyer? Surely we've had enough of a look at him now to make a decision.

Slightly worried

Fk

Comments

• Options
    End of Jan, depending on how many players have been signed/sold this window.
  • Options

Personally if one or two of our key players (Yann, Wiggins, Solly) haven't had theirs renewed by Feb I will be really concerned.

doesn't solly have a longer contract already?
  • Options
    Last summer.
  • Options
    we need a bit of a shake up,sell/loan a few,loan/buy a few,also keeps us interested
  • Options

Yes
  • Options

Oh yeah. My mistake.
  • Options
    CP unlikely to get a new contract till at least March. RD has yet to see a match, he will want his team to review the playing staff, so no two weeks in don't expect new contracts yet and depending on his short and long term ambitions there maybe few of the current squad that get considered anyway.
  • Options
    Also the negotiations will now be drawn out. The agents are free to approach other clubs so the chances are that anything we offer will be passed around other clubs that might be interested (or have a manager that is 'friends' with the agent) before the player will commit to us.

I'm not sure anyone else will offer them enough more to tempt them to jump ship in the summer, but I'd be very surprised if the question isn't asked before they sign up.

I also think the players will be tempted to wait for the new manager to be announced (of confirmation that we are not getting one) before they commit themselves for next season.

It is a bit of a mess in terms of long term planning but, as I've bored you all with enough already, I think the long term cost savings might just be worth it.
  • Options
    I try not to do worry, life's too short...........Next.
  • Options
    I think the main playing assets - Stephens, Morrison, Kermogant, Wiggins will probably be sorted quite soon.

Much more concerned about the management and coaching staff, and I think they'll be waiting a while before they get any certainty on their futures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we certainly need 3 good signings and more if we sell players thsi window. we cant just worry about contracts. we got osme sorted out like solly and cousins which in terms of potential transfer fees were the most important but now we need to sign for layers who are key on the pitch. i am pretty sure we will get them signed andi mprove the squad come the 31st.
  • Options
    In answer to your question in the title -
    I'm not going to start worrying until we are unable to tell whether a pitch is playable or not.
  • Options
    Another worried thread, where's Offie when you need him , he's missing out :-0
  • Options

Another worried thread, where's Offie when you need him , he's missing out :-0

He told me to keep a watching brief :-)
  • Options
    CP, on player contracts: In the meetings I have had they have been high on the agenda. It's something I want resolved. #PressDay (IL) #cafc
  • Options
    I'm only worried about Wiggins, Wood, Stephens and Kermy. The rest can do one, except maybe Morro if we can't do better.
  • Options
    I'm only worried about Wiggins, Wood, Stephens and Kermy.

I'm Solly to hear that.
  • Options
    Worried about Kerm, Wiggins, Stephens and Morrison in that order.

The rest can wait until we know what league will be in next season.
  • Options
    Don't know what to make of it tbh. I know SCP can be economical with the truth sometimes but I get the feeling he's in the dark as much as the next man. He obviously hasn't been given a budget or licence to shop or even re sign players he wants. I think a comprehensive review is ongoing by person or persons unknown and we might just get shocked by what happens next. Just a gut feeling.
  • Options

I'm only worried about Wiggins, Wood, Stephens and Kermy. The rest can do one, except maybe Morro if we can't do better.

A slightly disrespectful comment to the lads who got us promoted from L1 with a record points tally I feel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @RichCawleySLP: Number of #cafc squad not keen to sign deal extensions until Chris Powell's contract situation resolved. More in tomorrow's @SthLondonPress.”
  • Options

@RichCawleySLP: Number of #cafc squad not keen to sign deal extensions until Chris Powell's contract situation resolved. More in tomorrow's @SthLondonPress.”

Tres interestant.

Does that imply that a number of players now have deals on the table, for consideration?

• Options
    Tres interestant.

Another goalkeeper Oggy ?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Tres interestant.

Does that imply that a number of players now have deals on the table, for consideration?

It implies that player agents are happy to play out the game in the local paper and that the paper is happy to spin the story for circulation!

Solly has already agreed an extension and Kermorgant stated that if he plays x games then this automatically triggers a 1 year extension.

I would have thought the better players whose contracts end in June want to see what's on the table AND what the plan is for next season. This in terms of Powell AND the overall recruitment.

Look at it another way - if Wiggins goes we have Evina and Fox in the wings. If Stephens goes we have a dirty big bill to replace him!

• Options

Tres interestant.

Another goalkeeper Oggy ?

Oggy, how about Sertraline or Omeprazole ?
    (think I read on wiki that one keeps it together, the other may help the system).
    ;-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Tres interestant.

Or maybe a show of solidarity by players who appreciate what a great job SCP has done with his squad in very difficult circumstances.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Tres interestant.

Or maybe a show of solidarity by players who appreciate what a great job SCP has done with his squad in very difficult circumstances.
    Proper charlton