Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which mysteries do you find the most haunting?

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Ok I've got a personal unsolved mystery that, like the revels, bemuses me to this day.

It was 2006, and I was parking up the car before a game, with a friend borrowing dad's season ticket. We went through my normal routine, grabbing the tickets, putting stuff in the Midland Bank bag, and so on. As we walked down the road, I remembered the stereo face. Dad once had his stereo nicked, despite the face plate being under a car mat (as previously mentioned, they went to the trouble of putting the face on the stereo in order to eject his Duane Eddie tape, which offended him greatly), so I always carried mine with me.

I went back to the car, but lo, it was gone. Maybe I'd stashed it without thinking, so I searched the car. Under the seats, the mats, in the glovebox etc. but no sign. I checked the kerb. Nothing. Under the car; nothing.

We went to the game, and when I got back to the car, we had another look around before accepting it was gone.

Over the next three years, every time I was parked up and waiting for someone, or sitting in traffic for extended periods, I would do a search. Sometimes a deep search, sometimes a cursory feel around the seats. Three years. Nothing. No sign. I used a torch, I took every mat out, every nook and cranny - nothing.

Three years. Then my brother in law borrowed the car for a day. When I got the car back, something on the back seat caught my eye. It was the stereo face plate. Just sitting there, as if it had never been away. Presumably with a story to tell of other dimensions and plains of reality, but without the requisite tools to explain itself.

I asked him how it got there, but my brother in law didn't have a clue what I was talking about. To this day, I have absolutely no idea what happened. It wasn't just in the foot well, it was ON the back seat. Three years. Then poof, it reappeared.

Did we win?
  • Options
    The lift video seems a massive red herring to me - looks to me like a lift playing up and her wandering and out waving her hands at sensors etc trying to get it to work.

Sadly I think it's a pretty obvious murder but one with a huge lack of evidence.

As for the Elm House paedophile ring, I really don't doubt it for a minute, thing there have been some absolute monsters hiding behind power in the past (and to a lesser extent now).

The 'wow' noise fascinates me though!

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Ok I've got a personal unsolved mystery that, like the revels, bemuses me to this day.

It was 2006, and I was parking up the car before a game, with a friend borrowing dad's season ticket. We went through my normal routine, grabbing the tickets, putting stuff in the Midland Bank bag, and so on. As we walked down the road, I remembered the stereo face. Dad once had his stereo nicked, despite the face plate being under a car mat (as previously mentioned, they went to the trouble of putting the face on the stereo in order to eject his Duane Eddie tape, which offended him greatly), so I always carried mine with me.

I went back to the car, but lo, it was gone. Maybe I'd stashed it without thinking, so I searched the car. Under the seats, the mats, in the glovebox etc. but no sign. I checked the kerb. Nothing. Under the car; nothing.

We went to the game, and when I got back to the car, we had another look around before accepting it was gone.

Over the next three years, every time I was parked up and waiting for someone, or sitting in traffic for extended periods, I would do a search. Sometimes a deep search, sometimes a cursory feel around the seats. Three years. Nothing. No sign. I used a torch, I took every mat out, every nook and cranny - nothing.

Three years. Then my brother in law borrowed the car for a day. When I got the car back, something on the back seat caught my eye. It was the stereo face plate. Just sitting there, as if it had never been away. Presumably with a story to tell of other dimensions and plains of reality, but without the requisite tools to explain itself.

I asked him how it got there, but my brother in law didn't have a clue what I was talking about. To this day, I have absolutely no idea what happened. It wasn't just in the foot well, it was ON the back seat. Three years. Then poof, it reappeared.

Can't be arsed to tell the whole story, but a similar thing happened with my wife's necklace, though no cars were involved. I honestly think the cleaner borrowed it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Uboat said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Can't be arsed to tell the whole story, but a similar thing happened with my wife's necklace, though no cars were involved. I honestly think the cleaner borrowed it.
  • Options
    Dyatlov Pass Incident en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident and the Ourang Medan en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan (although it might never have happened)... and the mystery of Cory Gibbs.
  • Options

Dyatlov Pass Incident en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident and the Ourang Medan en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan (although it might never have happened)... and the mystery of Cory Gibbs.

I read about the Dylatov pass incident in Wonderpedia. Bizarre. Speculation about all sorts of yeti type creatures, aliens etc.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I read about the Dylatov pass incident in Wonderpedia. Bizarre. Speculation about all sorts of yeti type creatures, aliens etc.
    The logical explanations seem to work.. save for a force killing three people without breaking their skin! Unless crushed by a fast disappearing avalanche. That bit's messed up.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

There is a book about it I think
  • Options
    Don't get what's a mystery about the Dilatov Pass thing - all points towards an avalanche?
    cabbles said:

• Options

The lift video seems a massive red herring to me - looks to me like a lift playing up and her wandering and out waving her hands at sensors etc trying to get it to work.

Sadly I think it's a pretty obvious murder but one with a huge lack of evidence.

As for the Elm House paedophile ring, I really don't doubt it for a minute, thing there have been some absolute monsters hiding behind power in the past (and to a lesser extent now).

Wasn't she found dead in the hotels water tank which was behind a locked gate?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like the Bloop

Appeals to both my liking for Lovecraft and the strangeness of the natural world.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

Wasn't she found dead in the hotels water tank which was behind a locked gate?

Accepted theory is that she was unhinged and climbed up there, either to commit suicide or in fear, resulting in accidental death. It's unlikely, given how difficult it is to repeat her actions, but more plausible than the alternatives.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few months ago. I had bought some stuff on my way home and put it in a canvas bag. Few days later looked for said items and remembered they were probably still in the car. Went to the car and no sign of bag. Looked around the house and no sign of bag. Must have taken bag to work (I use it for my nicknacks) and left it there. No sign of bag at work. Checked all over car again under seats and no bag. A week later went to get into the car to go to work opened the door and there on the rear back set was my bag. I swear there is no explanation (but our family has history of unsolved mysterious happenings which are on another thread).
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Spontaneous Human Combustion has fascinated me since I was a kid and read about it in a Readers Digest book once

My parents had a Readers Digest book about unexplained mysteries, it was very interesting and a bit spooky.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Richey James Edwards of the Manic Street Preachers?

Went missing unexpectedly 20 years ago as they were about to go on a US tour. He withdrew £200 every day for 2 weeks leading up to his disappearance and they found his car by a bridge, but no body or note has been discovered.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richey_Edwards
  • Options
    Ross said:
    I prefer The Hun.

• Options

Swisdom said:

Spontaneous Human Combustion has fascinated me since I was a kid and read about it in a Readers Digest book once

My parents had a Readers Digest book about unexplained mysteries, it was very interesting and a bit spooky.
    I had that book at some point, was really good!

Some of the stories were better than others admittedly.
    cafctom said:

Went missing unexpectedly 20 years ago as they were about to go on a US tour. He withdrew £200 every day for 2 weeks leading up to his disappearance and they found his car by a bridge, but no body or note has been discovered.

Was going to mention that one, strange.

I have so much respect for the Manics for the fact that they continue to pay a quarter of what they make into an account in his name.
  • Options
    Butter a piece of toast and strap it to a cats back, butter side up. Throw the cat out of the window.

Which way up will it land?

I'd try it but I like my cat.
  • Options
    Why, whenever and wherever I sit at The Valley, is there always a bloke behind me moaning his arse off, refusing to clap whilst knowing more than whichever manager or owner is in charge at the time.

This cannot be chance - it is an utter mystery to me, a haunting of such pain and anguish you could make a crappy American teen horror flick out of it. Instead of 'The Ring' think 'Valley Suffer Ring'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That bloke sat behind me for a number of years. He even moved seats when I did, and changed his voice. Is it possible there's more than one of him?

;)
  • Options

Swisdom said:

cafctom said:

I have so much respect for the Manics for the fact that they continue to pay a quarter of what they make into an account in his name.
    They used to - I don't think they do anymore. Richey Edwards was legally deemed 'presumed dead' 6 years ago.
  • Options
    Charlton's record against Millwall and Charlton's record on live tv. They are the two that really haunt me.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Swisdom said:

cafctom said:

They used to - I don't think they do anymore. Richey Edwards was legally deemed 'presumed dead' 6 years ago.
    Despite that, my understanding is that they still do. It's a fantastic gesture.
  • Options
    How is Sarah Millican popular?
  • Options
    scidbox said:

Butter a piece of toast and strap it to a cats back, butter side up. Throw the cat out of the window.

Which way up will it land?

I'd try it but I like my cat.

It's about height. On average, based on standard human height, a piece of dropped toast will flip one and a half times at most.
  • Options

Why, whenever and wherever I sit at The Valley, is there always a bloke behind me moaning his arse off, refusing to clap whilst knowing more than whichever manager or owner is in charge at the time.

This cannot be chance - it is an utter mystery to me, a haunting of such pain and anguish you could make a crappy American teen horror flick out of it. Instead of 'The Ring' think 'Valley Suffer Ring'

That bloke sat behind me for a number of years. He even moved seats when I did, and changed his voice. Is it possible there's more than one of him?

;)

The bigger mystery for me is why do they bother coming if it's so shit?
    If you went to a concert and every week you thought the band were effing useless and sang like a bunch of ducks you wouldn't go would you?

• Options
    3blokes said:

;)

If you went to a concert and every week you thought the band were effing useless and sang like a bunch of ducks you wouldn't go would you?

You would if you were quackers.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

3blokes said:

;)

Btw no offence intended towards any ducks coots mallards and general wildfowl reading this forum ;-)
    I'm really not duckist....

• Options
    edited November 2014
    3blokes said:

RedChaser said:

3blokes said:

;)

Btw no offence intended towards any ducks coots mallards and general wildfowl reading this forum ;-)
    I'm really not duckist....

Glad you never misspelt that otherwise the PC brigade would have had a field day. :-)