Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

Comments

• Options
    Ha, where did that extra bit in the Millwall song come from

proper proper proper cringe
  • Options

Ha, where did that extra bit in the Millwall song come from

proper proper proper cringe

Dick Van Dyke tribute
  • Options
    Make no bones about the way he left being a total spoilt brat, let's not lose sight that Parker shit on us from a great height , the real issue is ten yrs on it doesn't sting anywhere near it did back then and hatred turns to dislike and a touch of joy that his career didn't give him all it probably should have due to his shitty choices
  • Options
    We wouldn't have got anywhere near the top 4 without his efforts earlier in the season, so it's hardly fair to blame him for us missing out. And frankly, I'd be very happy with the failure and disappointment of 7th in the PL over what we've had since 2006/07
  • Options

............ We all love charlton but it's just a football club........

Blooming women :wink:

• Options
    edited April 2015

cafctom said:

Think it's just an unfortunate trait of the Charlton fanbase. Often looking for a reason to be offended and to show some sort of contrived emotion/fake outrage.

Are people genuinely that angry over 10 years on? Do people genuinely hate Danny Murphy enough to abuse his wife? Do they genuinely hate Darren Ambrose to make false remarks about his sexuality?

The answer is no more often than not, but it makes those teenagers feel as though the almighty Charlton shirt is more important than what it actually is, and makes themselves feel a little bit harder.

Fucking sad if you ask me.

Quite an odd comment Tom considering you never miss an opportunity to abuse Simon Church on here and set straight anyone who thinks he should get even a sniff of a new contract, to the point where it's actually become a bit weird. People hate players that upset them for whatever reason, be it because they don't think they're a good player or because they left the club in an acrimonious way, and they might boo them or call them a wanker at a game or call them a disgrace to the shirt from behind their keyboard. It's what happens. Don't really think you should be calling the entire Charlton fanbase 'fucking sad'
    I'm not going to get drawn into a debate around who served us better out of Parker and Church, as that would be like trying to compare The Beatles with One Direction.

I've never booed Simon Church. I won't boo him when he comes back with another club and I won't be calling him a w@nker like the saddo last night apparently did. I just don't want to see him playing for us.

Booing an opposition player who left us to better themselves is sad IMO. Completely different scenario from Church.
  • Options
    i am prepared to let it drop in another 10 years time.

i think that'll learn him and teach him to have some respect our cry baby supporters.
  • Options
    I must admit I found the Parker baiting tiresome and embarrassing last night - and I'm speaking as someone who has held a grudge for 10 years!!
    I don't suppose I'll ever completely get over the way he ruined our "perfect" season, but personally I'd rather people just ignored him when he's playing against us.
    Having said that I am sure that Parker is intelligent enough to realise that those abusing him represented a small minority of the Charlton crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I must admit I found the Parker baiting tiresome and embarrassing last night - and I'm speaking as someone who has held a grudge for 10 years!!
    I don't suppose I'll ever completely get over the way he ruined our "perfect" season, but personally I'd rather people just ignored him when he's playing against us.
    Having said that I am sure that Parker is intelligent enough to realise that those abusing him represented a small minority of the Charlton crowd.

considering he had a special relationship with us fans, and even said so when he left, specifically thanking the charlton fans for "making him" i think was his words. He's been extremely patient with the abuse he gets.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Think it's just an unfortunate trait of the Charlton fanbase. Often looking for a reason to be offended and to show some sort of contrived emotion/fake outrage.

Are people genuinely that angry over 10 years on? Do people genuinely hate Danny Murphy enough to abuse his wife? Do they genuinely hate Darren Ambrose to make false remarks about his sexuality?

The answer is no more often than not, but it makes those teenagers feel as though the almighty Charlton shirt is more important than what it actually is, and makes themselves feel a little bit harder.

Fucking sad if you ask me.

Quite an odd comment Tom considering you never miss an opportunity to abuse Simon Church on here and set straight anyone who thinks he should get even a sniff of a new contract, to the point where it's actually become a bit weird. People hate players that upset them for whatever reason, be it because they don't think they're a good player or because they left the club in an acrimonious way, and they might boo them or call them a wanker at a game or call them a disgrace to the shirt from behind their keyboard. It's what happens. Don't really think you should be calling the entire Charlton fanbase 'fucking sad'
    I'm not going to get drawn into a debate around who served us better out of Parker and Church, as that would be like trying to compare The Beatles with One Direction.

I've never booed Simon Church. I won't boo him when he comes back with another club and I won't be calling him a w@nker like the saddo last night apparently did. I just don't want to see him playing for us.

Booing an opposition player who left us to better themselves is sad IMO. Completely different scenario from Church.
    probably more like comparing the beatles with me singing in the shower ..but Scott will look back knowing he made the wrong decision professionally but then look around at the riches that surround him and then he wont feel so bad after all

personally i thought he was always going to be too good for us ,i enjoyed it while it lasted and accepted that it happened when it did ..i bear him no ill will

• Options
    Some of the crowd in the East Stand clapped when he pulled off a real bit of skill last night.I think the intense reaction against him comes from a love/hate relationship.We love him because he is our best ever home grown player and we hate him for the same reason,he was too good for us.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Some of the crowd in the East Stand clapped when he pulled off a real bit of skill last night.I think the intense reaction against him comes from a love/hate relationship.We love him because he is our best ever home grown player and we hate him for the same reason,he was too good for us.

Wrong!
    There was never any doubt that he was destined for better things; and had he waited until the end of the season, in the form he was in, he could have had his pick of suitors.
    I treasure the memories of the games he played, but any "hatred" on my part was to do with the manner and timing of his departure.
  • Options

My sentiments entirely.
    His actions ruined the best season I've had the pleasure of seeing as a Charlton supporter. We had just taken apart a good Chelsea team, Parker played at his best, as did the whole team and he spoiled the day and the season with his antics.
    And for that reason I will not forget, move on, forgive, have closure... call it what you want. Its up to me and no one else how I should see things.

That said Parker had another good game for his current team, without him Fulham would be in the bottom 3.

A bit a drab game that fizzled out.
  • Options
    I was gutted when Parker left Charlton - he was the catalyst that made us play. I'm not even sure Chelsea wanted him - I’m pretty sure they didn’t want us to have him. Our threat was removed with a scratch of a pen (and a mere 10 million pounds from the Abramavich back pocket)

Parker’s cause was not helped by the management’s disclosures at the time. Both Murray and Curbs complained openly about his demands, attitude and behaviour. From a fan’s perspective this was especially galling against the club that had cosseted him since childhood and awarded him an eye watering contract..

Curbs was quoted at the time - "Scott signed a new five-year contract in the summer and, although I understand him wanting to leave, I'm not happy with how it's come about. He's made it abundantly clear in more ways than 10 he wants to leave. We're all very disappointed because of where we are in the league and because this has happened now."

In my opinion the timing was indeed disastrous - it stopped the club’s advancement dead in its tracks.

That said, I still disagree with the prolonged, vile, personal abuse he received last night.

• Options

I was gutted when Parker left Charlton - he was the catalyst that made us play. I'm not even sure Chelsea wanted him - I’m pretty sure they didn’t want us to have him. Our threat was removed with a scratch of a pen (and a mere 10 million pounds from the Abramavich back pocket)

Parker’s cause was not helped by the management’s disclosures at the time. Both Murray and Curbs complained openly about his demands, attitude and behaviour. From a fan’s perspective this was especially galling against the club that had cosseted him since childhood and awarded him an eye watering contract..

Curbs was quoted at the time - "Scott signed a new five-year contract in the summer and, although I understand him wanting to leave, I'm not happy with how it's come about. He's made it abundantly clear in more ways than 10 he wants to leave. We're all very disappointed because of where we are in the league and because this has happened now."

In my opinion the timing was indeed disastrous - it stopped the club’s advancement dead in its tracks.

That said, I still disagree with the prolonged, vile, personal abuse he received last night.

How long did he have left on his existing contract? Even if he had stayed, surely the signing of a new five-year one would also have served to protect the Club against him eventually going for next to nothing wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but Parker was supposed to have gone to his beloved Spurs the summer before he actually left. We bought Matt Holland to replace him but the move to Spurs fell through which is why we had Parker and Holland that season. So he wanted to leave long before he actually did.
  • Options

Southbank said:

Wrong!
    There was never any doubt that he was destined for better things; and had he waited until the end of the season, in the form he was in, he could have had his pick of suitors.
    I treasure the memories of the games he played, but any "hatred" on my part was to do with the manner and timing of his departure.
    This.
  • Options
    Why do we (as fans) want Gomez to sign a nice long contract? To keep him here for 5 years? Or to make sure we get a decent fee for him...
    The same applies to the 5 year deal Parker signed. Personally, I also blame Curbs and Murray for not trying to buy some sort of replacement in that window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why do we (as fans) want Gomez to sign a nice long contract? To keep him here for 5 years? Or to make sure we get a decent fee for him...
    The same applies to the 5 year deal Parker signed. Personally, I also blame Curbs and Murray for not trying to buy some sort of replacement in that window.

there's a big difference to signing a 5 year contract when you're 4th in the prem and signing one when you're 11th in the championship.
  • Options
    Should have had a 2nd booking last night for the file on Gudmundsen and a 3rd for his totally unprofessional arguing with the crowd.
  • Options

But that was a large part of the problem wasn't it? Parker's transfer was so late in the window it left no time to spend the money.
  • Options
    It can all be sorted if GlassHalfFull sends him a bouquet of flowers.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

But that was a large part of the problem wasn't it? Parker's transfer was so late in the window it left no time to spend the money.
    That has happened to us too many times, especially under Curbishley….
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The saga didn't start at the end of the window though, it dragged on for a couple of weeks beforehand

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2371644/Chelsea-test-Charlton-with-new-Parker-bid.html
  • Options
    Spanish said:

cafcfan said:

That has happened to us too many times, especially under Curbishley….
    Happened with Yann and Stephens too.
  • Options
    Things that cheeses me off most is that the club ... Murray or Curbs failed to use the record fee we received for Parker and build a stronger unit, not rely on one single young player the next season. The Club got off very lightly from criticism during this affair managing to keep it focussed on Parker.
  • Options
    Parker was 10 years ago
    Defoe was 15 years ago

Can any one name a player longer than that we would give stick too ?

Where's Lee Bowyer playing these days ?
  • Options
    Woefully underachieving career when you think about it. It would've been great if he stayed til the end of that season then joined Man U.
    Oh well. Agree about the abuse. People are just angry these days. Working too hard for not enough money and for some, shouting at Millwall fans or shouting at Scott Parker makes some people feel a bit better about life. Sad but true.