Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this Roland Duchatelet's Ratner moment?

edited December 2016 in General Charlton
Now you might get away with calling club supporters "customers". You might get away with calling club supporters "weird" if you try to pretend it means another word.
But you cannot call your supporters stupid on national television and get away with it. You cannot say all the lost supporters are activists, when your strategies at work have seen the club relegated and you have lost 4000 season ticket holders.
That cannot be the way forward for ANY business model on the planet.
I think Roland has dug himself a hole he cannot get out of this time.

Comments

• Options
    Let's hope it is.
  • Options
    Same people will keep on going regardless I think.
  • Options
    Not the same really.

Ratner had products that were flying off the shelves until that statement.

Our lot has been sinking pretty much since this twirp took over,with some pretty big gaffes along the way.

And still he remains.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wishful thinking.

Who is going to hold him to account ?

Except that when you are a self proclaimed visionary, it doesn't sit too well with your self image when what you have uttered is roundly declared to be drivel.
    He clearly does not like being a figure of fun and takes himself and his opinions far too seriously.
    I just wonder if this latest outburst of genius is a bridge too far.
  • Options
    Here's hoping, but unfortunately I think it's just another one to add to the list.
  • Options
    Fair points above I guess, and there was me getting my hopes up :neutral:
    Well, let's see if it gets picked up elsewhere in the media. I just cannot believe his level of ignorance and contempt for something that seems completely beyond his understanding.
    But quelle surprise really.
    ( shuffles off to make himself a consoling cup of tea...)
  • Options
    We can but hope ...
  • Options
    3blokes said:

se9addick said:

Wishful thinking.

Except that when you are a self proclaimed visionary, it doesn't sit too well with your self image when what you have uttered is roundly declared to be drivel.
    He clearly does not like being a figure of fun and takes himself and his opinions far too seriously.
    I just wonder if this latest outburst of genius is a bridge too far.
    Roundly declared by who ?

We know he's an idiot, but we spend every waking moment telling each other that he's an idiot on this site. That doesn't mean he's leaving and I would suggest that going on television in Belgium to put across his side shows that he's more likely staying than leaving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3blokes said:

Fair points above I guess, and there was me getting my hopes up :neutral:
    Well, let's see if it gets picked up elsewhere in the media. I just cannot believe his level of ignorance and contempt for something that seems completely beyond his understanding.
    But quelle surprise really.
    ( shuffles off to make himself a consoling cup of tea...)

I think you'll find that's Wat een verrassing. What are you, stupid? Oh, sorry, yes, apparently we're all stupid.
  • Options
    No, Ratner's gaffe resulted in a plunge in sales of his crap product. Roland hasn't been able to sell his crap product to thousands of us for months now.

Who is going to hold him to account? The board won't give him a hard time will they, seeing as it now comprises the sole shareholder, himself, and his 'niece'.

But what do I know, I'm just a stupid person
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wishful thinking.

Alas,it's this...nobody at the FA or EFL give a damn,all too busy with their hands out for corporate freebies to worry about actually running or governing the game in the correct manner.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Well I have been called a few things in my time, and sometimes quite justifiably, but I am quite particular about who calls me stupid and I, for one, have decided I won't be returning to The Valley while Roland Duchatelet is in charge of Charlton Athletic. It might be a long wait, and we might be playing Barcelona in The Champions League ( That IS a stupid thought) but I'm not coming back Roland till you've fucked off.
    You are probably much less bothered by that than me. But one of us is stupid, remember.
  • Options
    I can see some media picking up on this but it is unlikely to change the minds of the anti protesters, many of them will agree that protesting IS stupid.

Perhaps @Essex_Al and @WhenIwasLittleBoy have an opinion?
  • Options
    His entire time in football is his 'Ratner moment', it's just that it's lasted for several years so far. Not a single moment, just a vast collection of them
  • Options
    Roland the Clownimage
  • Options
    No court in land would convict - I didn't fall into the trap of suggesting he had a heart...
  • Options
    Nug said:

se9addick said:

Wishful thinking.

I think that's the problem, no one outside of our little world really cares. We've had good media coverage for the most part but this is our battle with this doughnut and as long as there are people willing to either ignore him or support his arrogant and deceitful running of the club it may take a bit longer. These "episodes" by him and Daisy certainly help us more than them. Big PR meeting this morning with Tom and Adrian, get those invoices in boys, gonna be a bumper Christmas.
    I bet they're well pissed off... those invoices aren't going to be cleared by the 25th after all.

But don't worry lads, I'm sure the invoices will be paid up in time for the January sales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Duchatelet clearly sees things through a different prism but the fact that he is feels the need to try and justify himself on Belgian national TV is encouraging. The fact that - objectively speaking - he made a fool of himself with his comments is a further bonus.
  • Options
    No, not for Charlton Athletic

It might backfire on him slightly in terms of his other business and political interests though, not to the same degree as the Ratner incident
  • Options
    Encouraging that Duchatelet feels the need to justify himself. The getting to know the network pieces will surely help things along. Great that the Belgium media has the scent. Looking forward to parts 3 & 4 of Getting to know the Network.
  • Options
    It is quite obvious the man is mentally ill.
  • Options
    More of a Gordon Brown moment I think when he called that woman a bigot because she had an opinion different to his.
  • Options
    He seem to have the understanding of a small child when it comes to football! It really is WEIRD!
  • Options
    He seem to have the understanding of a small child when it comes to football! It really is WEIRD!
  • Options

It is quite obvious the man is mentally ill.

I don't think he has that excuse. He's just ignorant, pompous and delusional.

He clearly comes from money too, so has never needed to moderate himself to try and fit in with others.

As a result, the only people willing to associate with him are fellow hapless self-regarders like Katy, Driesen, Fraeye and so on.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Now you might get away with calling club supporters "customers". You might get away with calling club supporters "weird" if you try to pretend it means another word.
    But you cannot call your supporters stupid on national television and get away with it. You cannot say all the lost supporters are activists, when your strategies at work have seen the club relegated and you have lost 4000 season ticket holders.
    That cannot be the way forward for ANY business model on the planet.
    I think Roland has dug himself a hole he cannot get out of this time.

Of course you are right, but I think that the dude does not care about his actions and it has now developed into an all out fans v Duchatelet/squirrel face battle.

We will all open the papers one day and find that the prick has really f***** us over. He has ulterior motives, what I do not know.