Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Let's Give The Lie To Duchatelet's Nonsense

Comments

• Options
    For a supposed clever and successful businessman, he really does say some stupid things.

Were all the SL supporters also of the same ilk?

And all the STVV fans?

Can he not see a pattern emerging?

I've never worked for the club.
  • Options

Hi Roland - I have supported the club for well over 40 years. My son was christened at the Valley and has been a mascot twice, I had Valley Floyd Road played at my wedding, I have Charlton pictures all over the walls of my house, Until last year, my wife son and me were season ticket holders.

I have never worked for Charlton Roland. As well as being a coward, you are a proven liar. You told the Belgian people that the players you brought in were better than Powell's. You said Powell was stupid and the players you brought in kept us up. You know that is a lie. Apart from one player who Powell wanted straight away, the players you brought in were all rubbish failures. You also sold Kermogant and Stephens which speaks for itself! Of course the Belgian people do not have enough interest in Charlton to know the truth, but we know. You and your CEO are LIARS!

I don't mind you calling me stupid - but a club legend like Powell is crossing a line! You are stupid if you don't see that you have to sell now. There is no positive future for you with this club!

I forgot to mention that I have a Charlton tatoo too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I had a similar idea Stig. Perhaps someone with a camera can record as many protesters as possible saying "I am -----, and I have never been employed by the club" or "I am ----- and I was employed by the club, I was not shown the door, I left of my own volition" as part of a future CARD video. Is there actually anyone at all who was dismissed for being rowdy or rebellious? The three people I know who have left, resigned.

As most people know, I was dismissed in 2012. I have a large file of documents from the club which the then ownership was unwilling to put before an employment tribunal judge because they knew they would lose and look ridiculous in the process. Hence they settled my claim for unfair dismissal. Regardless of that, their arguments are very specific and would not fit that description at all. Indeed they go to some lengths to state the opposite case. There is no one else involved, to my knowledge, who has been dismissed by the club.

Could there be anything more ridiculous than RD trying to argue the spivs' flawed case nearly five years later - or for that matter me harbouring a grudge from it against him? I suppose there could - the idea that the thousands of people involved in protests over the last 18 months are motivated or influenced by it in any way whatsoever.
    I was of course referring to people who had left since he took over Rick. Even then, as you say, you were unfairly dismissed so do not fit his criteria anyway.
  • Options

Dear Roland.

I know that a football club is a business. But how does somebody "work indirectly" for a business, anyway?. Do you perhaps mean, doing loads of stuff which helps the business, without being paid? If so, OK, I am one of them. 27 years ago I persuaded the boss of arguably the UK's best advertising agency at the time to run a campaign which helped the Club get back home. Failure would have led to the club withering and dying. The agency did all this work for free. Funny enough, Roland, my boss's name was Chris Powell.

The week after we returned home, I started my new life and work in Prague, where I remain now, so obviously it wasn't practical to continue to be "employed", even for nothing. So I tried to continue my support by buying the VIP, buying the shares, and most bizarrely, buying a season ticket even though I could never use it more than 5 times a season. What a business, Roland, customers so loyal they spend shed loads of disposable income on something they can hardly consume!

I expect, Roland, that because the campaign appears in Rick's book, and when I am at the Valley I sit where he and others from that campaign sit, I have been identified to you as one of "them". Maybe not as an employee, but as one of the "hotheads?" Well people tried to describe us that way (or worse) in 1990, but we were just citizens who succeeded in starting a conversation which led those in power to change their minds. Far from being a "hothead", Roland, I've tried to get the conversation going with you through 'correct' channels. You've rebuffed us. You rebuffed us, when we tried to reach you via Richard Murray, via direct approaches, via Belgian journalists, via your Melexis board, via your son and his partner in Budapest.

When we were at Selhurst, people were drifting away. Our campaign then re-energised people reminded them of what Charlton means to them. Now, this last year, I too wondered if there was any point. It didn't feel like the Charlton I was so proud to be part of, any more. But now there is a new generation of fans who are not prepared to let it die. They want a conversation with you, that's all. To persuade you it isn't working for any of us. I don't even know these people. But I recognise them. They are showing the same spirit we did in 1990. They are intelligent, creative and determined. They've gained the respect of the football world and the media both here and in Belgium. Nothing about my club makes me proud to be a Charlton fan. But these people make me feel proud.

So I'm none of the things you think I am Roland. I am not coming back to the UK to live. I am winding down my working life. I'm just an old git now. But loads of old gits supported us in 1990, because we reminded them what it meant to be a Charlton fan. When these new guys ask for support, in numbers,when all else has failed, as we did back then, how could I fail to answer that call?

See you next week, Roland.

Wipes tear from corner of eye.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    cabbles said:

Dear Roland,

I'm a fan of 30 years. I can categorically say that since you bought the club in December 2013 and instilled an incompetent senior management team in the process, the culture has become rotten and the heart and soul of the club is being slowly eaten away.

I understand you have invested money in the club, but for all intended purposes, you've squandered it through shocking mismanagement and ineptitude from top to bottom. You've had 3 years and things have progressively gotten worse.

If this was your business or part of Melexis, then I doubt very much you would endure or sustain such dismal performance across any metric you care to use, whether that be revenue, profitability, customer satisfaction, success on the pitch. You've failed at every single one and will continue to fail.

You may be rich, successful and have done very well in a number of aspects in life, this is certainly not one of them.

With the greatest of respect, to me I consider you a fool and an idiot for your continued involvement in Charlton Athletic. I am confident this view is shared by 1000s of others.

Thanks for your attempt to run our club, but you and Katrien have failed.

Time to go

Regards,

Cabbles

@cabbles has he actually invested a penny? Isn't it all loans?
  • Options

Happy Birthday, Mr President.....( belatedly)

Fanny, I think you have left a very important word out, so have amended your excellent post

Although I'm confident that you will not have the "(foot)balls" to meet us in person, I look forward with relish to making my small but perfectly formed contribution to the pilgrimage - not to pay homage to you but to leave you with NO uncertainty that we Addicks will fight you for the future of our beloved club to the bitter end.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm Rob. My first ever Charlton game was our return to The Valley on 5th December 1992. I was five years old and fell in love with MY club before I'd even entered the ground that day. I no longer attend home games because of you.

I've never worked for the club and I want you out. The same people that have fought bigger fish than you to make that return to The Valley possible, the fans, are the same people that WILL drive you out of OUR club. OUR club that you are deliberately destroying and cashing in on.

We will win and we'll fall back in love with Charlton again.

BTW Roland, do you have any inkling of the significance of 5th December 1992?
  • Options

Happy Birthday, Mr President.....( belatedly)

Fanny, I think you have left a very important word out, so have amended your excellent post

Although I'm confident that you will not have the "(foot)balls" to meet us in person, I look forward with relish to making my small but perfectly formed contribution to the pilgrimage - not to pay homage to you but to leave you with NO uncertainty that we Addicks will fight you for the future of our beloved club to the bitter end.

Indeed, cherryorchard.

What a mistaka to maka !

Duly amended a few minutes ago.

• Options
    I'm Peter, I've been a Charlton fan as long as I can remember. My Dad had been a Leeds fan prior to moving to London when he was dragged along to Selhurst Park for his first Charlton game. He started bringing me from the age of 2. We went regularly to Selhurst and away games before moving home to Ireland in the early 1990s. I can assure you that I have never once been employed by Charlton or any other football club. I can be a bit of a hot head though to be fair!