Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hands up. Who's got a cleaner?

Comments

• Options
    You do realise those who are paying cash in hand are helping, in some cases, to defraud the exchequer of much needed funds.....

You’re all to blame for the crisis in the NHS, Police etc :wink:
  • Options
    We have a cleaner who comes in once a week on a Friday when I work from home. We pay through bank transfer to the company she works for so there’s no cash in hand skull duggery!

The best value for money thing I spend after payday I think.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I should probably quantify, this tale regarding the cleaner happened ages before I met my wife

Is your wife Romanian by any chance?
  • Options

Yes, I have a cleaner.

I think more important a question would be 'who pays their cleaner a decent living wage?' If you don't, but shout about unfairness from the rooftops, then maybe you need to ask yourself why not.

Also who pays them in cash, then winge about legal tax avoidance
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Be interesting to know how many have a contract and pay their cleaners cash in hand.

er, I’m guessing none.

• Options
    redman said:

Yes, I have a cleaner.

I think more important a question would be 'who pays their cleaner a decent living wage?' If you don't, but shout about unfairness from the rooftops, then maybe you need to ask yourself why not.

Also who pays them in cash, then winge about legal tax avoidance
    Opened up a real can of worms here.

Doesn't you private accounts department deal with all that?
  • Options
    For all of those who employ a cleaner, I hope you’ve sorted out the final salary pension for them.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

For all of those who employ a cleaner, I hope you’ve sorted out the final salary pension for them.

I doubt anybody on here employs a cleaner, they will be self employed and no doubt be responsible for their own taxes and pension arrangements.
  • Options
    it looks like bloke cleaners are very much in the minority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Agreed. The question then should be 'what is the cleaning industry doing about driving towards a societal representation of its workforce'?
  • Options

seth plum said:

Agreed. The question then should be 'what is the cleaning industry doing about driving towards a societal representation of its workforce'?
    They should do nothing because cleaning would become more expensive ;-)
  • Options
    Carter said:

I'm trying to work out who is being serious and who is taking the piss in regard to cleaners avoiding tax

That's not where the black hole is boys and girls!

I think you'd be surprised how much of the 'black hole' would get filled by non disclosed earnings/cash in hand. Last time I saw a report on it, it was estimated at circa 8bn. That was around 7 years ago, doubt it's decreased.
  • Options
    Didn't know whether to put this the looking for work thread
  • Options
    What sort of pleb would only have a single cleaner?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

That's a rule for life, SP.
  • Options

Health and safety questions:
    A: does this preclude the wearing of marigolds, and
    B: what is the effect of toilet duck on one's old chap?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    In 2009 it was estimated that cash in hand payments, across the piste, accounted for 'up to £8bn' in lost revenue to the treasury.

That £8bn figure makes up nearly 25% of the estimated £35bn of potential lost revenue due to tax avoidance and other measures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Health and safety questions:
    A: does this preclude the wearing of marigolds, and
    B: what is the effect of toilet duck on one's old chap?
    Wear the marigold on your old chap?
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

I'm trying to work out who is being serious and who is taking the piss in regard to cleaners avoiding tax

I think you'd be surprised how much of the 'black hole' would get filled by non disclosed earnings/cash in hand. Last time I saw a report on it, it was estimated at circa 8bn. That was around 7 years ago, doubt it's decreased.
    Depends how you look at it. My mum is 94 and to help us out we have a cleaner go in every Wednesday to clean the entire house and go and get some shopping for her. We know the owner of the cleaning company and she runs a stable of other cleaners anyone of whom can go into my Mum's.

All payments are cash and the owner has these girls working 6 days a week. There is a fair few bob flowing into the owners hands and I am sure there are thousands of examples like this up and down the country.

Mum also has gardeners and window cleaners on a regular basis..............all cash payments.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Depends how you look at it. My mum is 94 and to help us out we have a cleaner go in every Wednesday to clean the entire house and go and get some shopping for her. We know the owner of the cleaning company and she runs a stable of other cleaners anyone of whom can go into my Mum's.

All payments are cash and the owner has these girls working 6 days a week. There is a fair few bob flowing into the owners hands and I am sure there are thousands of examples like this up and down the country.

Mum also has gardeners and window cleaners on a regular basis..............all cash payments.
    There's cash and there is undeclared cash

Lets say I was to own a snack wagon that turned over a lot of business, I'd probably not be inclined to declare every penny of it and then deal with the headache of trying to spend unwashed cash.

However I haven't got the inclination to get up at sparrows fart, spend all day in a burger van or a cash and carry then worry about some gimlet from the inland revenue catching up with me. I see jobs like that, and cleaning as almost fair game to fiddle. No sick pay, no pension unless you sort it yourself and the on going risk of losing your plot (Google the shenanigans that happened in a layby on the A249 between Detling showground and the Danaway roundabout in the early 00's) because of things out of your control

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Come off it

That might be the total black hole for everything including every single person in the 2% wealthiest hiding declarable money. It sure as shit isn't women doing cleaning work at 10 pound an hour.
    Where did I say it related to cleaners only?

I think you'd be surprised how much of the 'black hole' would get filled by non disclosed earnings/cash in hand.

as @Big_Bag_World states it's around 25% of lost revenue the exchequer believes they lose due to tax avoidance and other measures. It related purely to cash in hand/undeclared income.

If you think cash in hand payments are small across the country I think you are massively mistaken. The estimate of 8bn (9 years ago) and assume an average 30% tax rate, that's £32bn of cash payments.

I always find the subject quite sad in some respects, as to a lot of people they don't seem to find that there is much wrong with it, yet chuck in someone who earns 'a lot' of money and didn't declare it all and there'd be uproar.

8bn pays for an awful lot of police, nurses, hospitals, teachers, fireman and anyone else I missed,

But not a problem really is it, it's not doing anyone any harm after all?

Edit; would you be Ok if I said my boss had agreed to pay my bonus next year in cash in a brown envelope so I could avoid paying any tax on it?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

There's cash and there is undeclared cash

Lets say I was to own a snack wagon that turned over a lot of business, I'd probably not be inclined to declare every penny of it and then deal with the headache of trying to spend unwashed cash.

However I haven't got the inclination to get up at sparrows fart, spend all day in a burger van or a cash and carry then worry about some gimlet from the inland revenue catching up with me. I see jobs like that, and cleaning as almost fair game to fiddle. No sick pay, no pension unless you sort it yourself and the on going risk of losing your plot (Google the shenanigans that happened in a layby on the A249 between Detling showground and the Danaway roundabout in the early 00's) because of things out of your control

"Lol" just for the use of 'gimlet', but I agree.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Come off it

That might be the total black hole for everything including every single person in the 2% wealthiest hiding declarable money. It sure as shit isn't women doing cleaning work at 10 pound an hour.

I think you'd be surprised how much of the 'black hole' would get filled by non disclosed earnings/cash in hand.

as @Big_Bag_World states it's around 25% of lost revenue the exchequer believes they lose due to tax avoidance and other measures. It related purely to cash in hand/undeclared income.

If you think cash in hand payments are small across the country I think you are massively mistaken. The estimate of 8bn (9 years ago) and assume an average 30% tax rate, that's £32bn of cash payments.

I always find the subject quite sad in some respects, as to a lot of people they don't seem to find that there is much wrong with it, yet chuck in someone who earns 'a lot' of money and didn't declare it all and there'd be uproar.

8bn pays for an awful lot of police, nurses, hospitals, teachers, fireman and anyone else I missed,

Edit; would you be Ok if I said my boss had agreed to pay my bonus next year in cash in a brown envelope so I could avoid paying any tax on it?
    Is the bonus discretional? ;)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Come off it

No you didn't, but in fairness to me we are in a discussion about whether people have cleaners or not so it's relevant to that

Look, I'm ok with anyone getting away with what they get away with, it's their business and I'm no grass. I think enormous conglomerates like the usual suspects of Amazon, Apple, Google et al have to be sorted as high profile cases else what example does that send?

I get what you are saying in the general scheme of things but we are absolutely talking about cleaners in this case
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Come off it

No you didn't, but in fairness to me we are in a discussion about whether people have cleaners or not so it's relevant to that

Look, I'm ok with anyone getting away with what they get away with, it's their business and I'm no grass. I think enormous conglomerates like the usual suspects of Amazon, Apple, Google et al have to be sorted as high profile cases else what example does that send?

I get what you are saying in the general scheme of things but we are absolutely talking about cleaners in this case
    I can't believe you put those two things!

PS it's no more wrong or right for Gladys the cleaner to defraud the exchequer anymore than it is Google.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Rob7Lee said:

Carter said:

Come off it

I can't believe you put those two things!

PS it's no more wrong or right for Gladys the cleaner to defraud the exchequer anymore than it is Google.
    We will have to agree to disagree then

We mostly agree about cars so I'll take a disagreement about global conglomerates paying less tax than a ginger bloke with a guitar does each year and dear old Gladys squirreling away some folding
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I've had cleaners in a couple of times where I used to live to do a one off blitz but that was because I had people coming in to view the flat as I was selling. Well worth the money though IMO.