Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 100

Comments

• Options
    The Draft is at 7pm tonight live on SkySports
  • Options
    So who is everyone cheering on?

might go for Manchester Originals as like the name. 
  • Options
    I will be avoiding this like the plague.

It's just not cricket.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So who is everyone cheering on?

might go for Manchester Originals as like the name. 
    I think there's already a team with that name, so they will have to change it to the Manchester New Originals.
  • Options
    The Hundred Draft.  It's so exciting.  I love this traditional, late-October highlight of the cricket season.  It's such  great way to break up the gap between the end of the last season a few weeks ago and the start of next season which is now only six months away.  

And what a great idea to have lots of people sitting, chatting about a sport that has no history, no statistics and no previous results. 

Some people say it's a bit manufactured.  But what's wrong with that?  I mean, some of the best forms of entertainment that ever existed were "manufactured".  And without manufactured entertainment we wouldn't have Hear'Say, would we? 
  • Options

Ah,Virat Kohli, the self-effacing,self-deprecating, well-liked Indian captain, who hasn’t put himself up for The Draft.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Uboat said:
    I support Kent and Kent aren't in it so I couldn't give a fuck. Hope President can understand that. 
    I support Surrey and Surrey aren't in it, and I also don't give a fuck. Crickets equivalent of the Check-a-Trade trophy.

English cricket fans going along to support a team coached by Darren Lehmann need to have a look at themselves.
    Errrrr,
    Bayliss,Gillespie,DiVenuto,Stuart Law,Eddie Jones even Sven Goran fucking Eriksson.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    @The_President serious questions here as given your posts on this thread you are obviously all for this competition. 

Do you not think it would've been better if the money had instead gone on making the T20 blast better? Attracting better overseas players, making England players available, better marketing, slightly shorter format etc.

To me (and it seems most others) it offers no real benefit to cricket in this country. By moving county and T20 fixtures for the 100 and downgrading the 50 over competition, the ECB is surely harming not helping the game.
    Made up team names and not proper county sides? 10 ball overs? Every side sponsored by crisp/snack companies? The most northern team based at Leeds? And they didn't pick Root or Bairstow? Bairstow now the captain of the Welsh side?! The Somerset player who is named as the 'local icon'........for the Welsh Fire. Somerset fans won't go and support a Welsh team.

I'd love to know what you honestly feel the positives of this competition are?
    Chris,

My simple view is that if you look at the models of IPL and Big Bash, with their City based formats, the format clearly works.Attendances are high,cricket is good and high quality with high quality overseas stars, and its obviously a very marketable product.
    If's something that clearly had to be emulated in the English league.We couldn't stand back and be the last ones out of the block again.

Now,believe it or not, i'm probably in favour of retaining the T20 format and turning it into ,say, a 2 division format, with the county teams playing in a sortof 2nd division. There are obviously marketing and business related decisions that have created this '100' contest - , but, as Canters has his (very valid and well researched) opinions on this, but, i trust the people like Vaughan,Hussain,Giles,Strauss who have all come out in support of the competition more than i do Cantersaddick (nothing personal , Canters).
     I know very little about the construct of the game, like 10 ball overs and no lbw's etc, but am just excited about the prospect of having so many high class players playing in 1 game,under lights, and on terrestrial too. However, i dont like the snack company sponsorship thing.
    TBH, when the 20/20 comp first came out, everyone just ridiculed it and said it was just hit-and giggles - look at it now, probably the most importanat (financially) format in the planet.

In my view England players will improve as will the English players on the fringe (and before someone comes on , and say 'they' will only play 3 games' - its not just game time, its also being around and in the nets with these guys.

But, to just slag it off dismiss it and say things like 'i'll go to the game if i get a free ticket, and just drink' or 'hope it crashes and burns' is just plain crass and childish

Mate I've said before these people are either paid by the ECB or sky who have put money into it. They're not allowed to not support it. Hardly impartial. Plenty of former players and some current ones (see my comments on the first page) and journos  have come out against it.
    I give up - either its a shit idea or now its coz they are in the pay of the broadcaster.
    ffs.
    It's a shit idea that some players are having to support because they are being paid to. It's not rocket science. 
    Aw gawd.

Look on the bright side. You're the one person in the country that's going to enjoy this circus. 
    Lol, you do realise i've made a mental note of this post for next summer. >Actually i wont bother wasting my time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Chizz said:
    The Hundred Draft.  It's so exciting.  I love this traditional, late-October highlight of the cricket season.  It's such  great way to break up the gap between the end of the last season a few weeks ago and the start of next season which is now only six months away.  

And what a great idea to have lots of people sitting, chatting about a sport that has no history, no statistics and no previous results. 

Some people say it's a bit manufactured.  But what's wrong with that?  I mean, some of the best forms of entertainment that ever existed were "manufactured".  And without manufactured entertainment we wouldn't have Hear'Say, would we? 
    Oh well, Chizz, then no need for you to interrupt your bedtime reading of Wisden then !
    If you dont like it, then its simple, dont watch it or moan about it, i'm sure there's a episode of Coronation Street on the other channel for you- or you go along with McB , hold hands with your back to the play, drink yourself to oblivion and throw Pink foam pigs on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chizz said:

Oh well, Chizz, then no need for you to interrupt your bedtime reading of Wisden then !
    If you dont like it, then its simple, dont watch it or moan about it, i'm sure there's a episode of Coronation Street on the other channel for you.
    The thing is, that standpoint would be fine if it was a completely standalone thing - like on the Vlogging thread.

But this WILL have an impact on cricket per se - good or bad. Therefore in my view you can't just say "if you don't like it then don't watch it".

• Options
    Chizz said:

If you dont like it, then its simple, dont watch it or moan about it, i'm sure there's a episode of Coronation Street on the other channel for you- or you go along with McB , hold hands with your back to the play, drink yourself to oblivion and throw Pink foam pigs on the pitch.
    Still jealous of CARD after all these years, a deep deep wound.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Does my post say that I don't like it?  Or, are you getting a bit defensive?
  • Options
    So when is the draft? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So when is the draft? 
    You've just missed it.  But, hopefully there will be a highlights programme on BBC at some stage.  And I would think the papers will be full of it.  Especially as we are right at the height of the cricket season now.  

(Failing that, there might be something on CBBC...) 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chizz said:

What a pompous pratt you are.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    So when is the draft? 
    You've just missed it.  But, hopefully there will be a highlights programme on BBC at some stage.  And I would think the papers will be full of it.  Especially as we are right at the height of the cricket season now.  

(Failing that, there might be something on CBBC...) 
    Ha ha, you lot really are laugh a minute.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Wot the fuck are you talking about, you pompous, patronising prick?
  • Options
    We've just won the 50 over World Cup and seen one of the great Ashes test matches. The 100 doesn't seem to add anything to 20/20. I think and hope that it will be a one season wonder.
    I very much doubt it will be a 1 season wonder with the money that is 1) going to be available and 2) The financial input into the game - really cant see why you would 'hope' that it is so- so negative, as are so many peoples views on the 100 on here.

However, its not the time for negative comments...

1) Its here.
    2) Its not going away.
    3) Its going to be really entertaining, with top overseas stars playing.
    4) Its going to be different
    5) Its on Terrestrial TV
    6) Embrace it instead of being negative towards it.

Give it a chance- you might like it.
    You are literally the first person to have spoken positively about it that I have heard.  Let's see how it goes, I think it's a bit pointless and a desperate attempt to catch up with the IPL, big bash etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, Harmer and Ten Doeschate have been bought by Welsh fire. Is that Glamorgan? 
  • Options
    I see Billings and Alex Blake will be playing at The Oval, while Crawley and Denly will be at Lord's.
  • Options
    My 13 year old son is interested in it , I said pick a team before the draft to support but btw I’ll only take you to Lords to watch it  , so London Spirit he chose ! 

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Sussex lose 12 players to The Hundred. I’m wondering if I’ll get a game for Sussex in the RLODC if I clean my boots. It feels like a month removed from the cricket season.
  • Options
    So who won it in the end?
  • Options
    a pale imitation of the IPL .. I wonder if Indian/sub continent tv have bought the rights ?
  • Options
    Just looked at the squads to see just how packed full of household names they are. 
    Oh dear. Not very.
    At least the 'local icon' thing is good for a laugh. 
  • Options
    My 13 year old son is interested in it , I said pick a team before the draft to support but btw I’ll only take you to Lords to watch it  , so London Spirit he chose ! 

I think it might do well with kids, but the 'pick a team' thing says it all, doesn't it.