Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

He’s Only Gone and Done It Tel - Thomas Sandgaard- Charlton Athletic OWNER :-)

Comments

• Not my style of music, and I could happily live without it, but life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. 

Everyone is owed their 15 minutes of fame, and if TS wants his to be playing heavy metal in the centre circle before the first match of the season, who am I to begrudge him that?  Especially after the money he has committed to save our beloved club.  I'll even go further, and hope it stays dry for him on the day!

It might be a good publicity stunt, to get Charlton's name into the papers.  The track may even earn itself an occasional place within the pre-match playlists.  Just, please, don't make live performance a regular warm-up gig for home matches.   Leave that to the military band at the FA Cup final.

Americans have their tradition of pre-match razzmatazz, goal music, etc. and would not welcome outside interference with that.  By the same token, we have our own traditions.  Yes, "Red, Red Robin" is rather naff - but it's our bit of naff and as such it is part of Charlton's football culture which I hope we can retain, along with Valley Floyd Road (preferably without breaking the speed limit!), Goodbye Horse, and the occasional tunnel jump.

And speaking of tradition, is there any news about the mascots?  Or are we going into the new season still with Meire's tinman and the robin whose expression looks as though it has just been goosed with Sir Valiant's sword?
  • PopIcon said:
    Not really my cup of tea, but i'm looking forward to hearing the full version.
    The 'wohhaaa' battlecry bit is in such an odd place in the mix. It's over the guitar and vox, whoever mastered that should know better, it's clearly been recorded with a decent set up.

You mean mixed?
    Mastering is just maximising the volume and any additional eq.

your welcome 🤗 

As a note, remember it’s the stadium mix, so it’s tailored for that chanty/singalong vibe which may explain the priority given in the mix to that vocal part?
    I've been producing, mixing and mastering for 20 years, I've been recording for even longer. Mastering is a bit more complicated than turning the volume up and adding additional eq.

It's irrelevant what mix it is, if you're going to plaster the massive chant over the top, just dip the gui out or whatever else is in the way. It just sounds way too messy, I could have done a better mix and kept all the elements in.
  • N01R4M said:

And speaking of tradition, is there any news about the mascots?  Or are we going into the new season still with Meire's tinman and the robin whose expression looks as though it has just been goosed with Sir Valiant's sword?
    They've been replaced by Bruce Dickinson and David Lee Roth
  • edited July 28
    SamB09 said:
    If it is the guy from Metallica on vocals maybe hes planning to get him: the band in to cover and do a few songs before/ht/after  a game, if it was advertised to Metallica fans that would definitely sell the ground out. Whether those fans would stay for the game is another  question.

its a bonkers idea but i wouldnt put it past him to do so

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard-metallica-23041137.amp

It’s definitely not James Hetfield from Metallica. Though many metal musicians do adopt that vocal style. It sounds like someone who might front a Metallica tribute act. 

Would love to see them play The Valley, but the cost would probably be way beyond anything we’ve ever spent on a single player.
  • Hope he rents a Sound system for the day 😬
  • edited July 28
    Don't mind it. Rock on Tommy Sandman.  🤘
  • SamB09 said:
    If it is the guy from Metallica on vocals maybe hes planning to get him: the band in to cover and do a few songs before/ht/after  a game, if it was advertised to Metallica fans that would definitely sell the ground out. Whether those fans would stay for the game is another  question.

its a bonkers idea but i wouldnt put it past him to do so

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard-metallica-23041137.amp

You're right, that is a bonkers idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking forward to belting out “Johnny B Goode” with TS on lead air guitar and me on vocals at a Royal Oak karaoke night soon 
  • Deep mettalica vibes - splash of Nordic - 

100% mentalist - I really  quite like it - it could have  turned out really badly - but  instead its his own  homage to us. 

• Despite reservations, I quite like it.

Could have been a lot worse!
    Musically not my cup of tea but I could put up with it if I had to but while some are saying it's better than expected etc maybe we should wait for the full version with the lyrics, Addicks to Victory has a worrying similarity to the Reading song but with a rock backing. Anyway I'm in full agreement with RodneyCharltonTrotta, keep it in the USA. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Imagine going from this to 'Red Red Robin'.
    Not that different from when we used to play "Into The Valley" and Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" in the build up to kick off though.
    But it is, these were released songs that somebody thought would sound great in the lead up to a game, which they did. Addicks to Victory is a tailor made song written specifically about Charlton "for Charlton supporters". As I've said on another post lets wait for the lyrics & see if it's such a great idea. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Imagine going from this to 'Red Red Robin'.
    Not that different from when we used to play "Into The Valley" and Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" in the build up to kick off though.

It's a world of difference. The Skids and LZ were established musicians who produced belters of songs.  This is gimmicky and completely at odds what English football is about for me...very American and gimmicky and pretty much the same as cheerleaders and all that razmataz.

I think if people saying it's great etc is probably because of the "Cult of Sandgaard" that seems to have evolved.  Really is so weird seeing grown adults plating another grown up on twitter with such reverence. 

Like I have said before he seems a good bloke and his heart is in the right place but it's a huge turn off for a lot of fans I think and very out of place at a 3rd division club in SE London. No real big deal in the big scheme of things but I'm more concerned with the football side of things and getting us out of this dire league rather than sideshows like this.

Think if many were honest with themselves if it emerged under previous ownerships or at another club many would be laughing their tits off and being thankful it's not ours.  Plus the rhetoric of "his club hyour attentione can do what he wants" is very much at odds with the (Wholly correct) attitude of recent years.

Nothing to do with caring about what other fans think....and I couldn't give a monkey's toss on that front... and nothing to do with being insecure/ low self esteem or whatever other label has been cast on anyone who has stated dislike for this...but it just seems really gimmicky and out of touch with the culture of English football and Charlton Athletic....like the fans sofa and those shitty cardboard clappy things they dish out.

Anyway clearly in the minority on this so perhaps I'm calling it wrong but just not my cuppa at all.

Honestly, if this is all you have to complain about, we're in a decent place.

Do I love it? Nah. Is it something I was hoping TS would do when he came in? Obviously not. Does it effect my life? Not at all.

Live and let live. If this is the way he channels his passion for our great club, so be it.
    No thanks.
    It's like being at a party and noticing your dad striding up to the karaoke mic.
    Focus all your attention on "b!owing league one out of the water".
    Achieve that Tommy and you can have the floor
    Bollocks ............ I wanted to LOL at the Karaoke bit but not the second part.
  • Sponsored links:

• Full stadium? On Sky? Very hopeful 🤣

Sadly he will not yet see us play in a full stadium.

• Share price is getting hammered. Down 17% in trading today.

EPS is down year on year. Margins have been massively hit it looks like but encouraging revenue and order growth. Hopefully they can get their costs under control.
  • Let's hope that Thomas acknowledges how the acquisition of the wonderful Charlton Athletic FC  has improved  the stature  and companies profile in these improved figures B)

They have certainly been Charltonised.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Full stadium? On Sky? Very hopeful 🤣

Sadly he will not yet see us play in a full stadium.
    I don't think we'd ever get our biggest crowd August. 
  • mendonca said:
    A share price getting hammered after good results usually a result of the big boys taking their profit.
    Maybe TS selling some shares himself to raise funds for a new guitar.... Or left back.

PS that's a joke, not an ITK prediction