Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Uboat said:
    I want some more Exeter discussion. 
    Nice place, usually warmer than here and drier.  The University is very secluded but still only a short walk from the city centre, it even has a duck crossing.  
    Doesn’t sound like the sort of place you’d want to leave. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    redbuttle said:
    The more I think about it, the more I want Michael Beale.

Don't think he's coming.
    I have a feeling it will be someone of his ilk. 

Will we offer competitive contracts to get the best in, that's my concern.

I think TS sees us as a scale up organisation, you try the cheap options first then spend if/when that fails. I'm not sure after trying the cheap that he'll be able to afford the spending required as even the cheap costs millions per season.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    redbuttle said:

Don't think he's coming.

I think TS sees us as a scale up organisation, you try the cheap options first then spend if/when that fails. I'm not sure after trying the cheap that he'll be able to afford the spending required as even the cheap costs millions per season.
    To be fair Thomas has spent on the expensive options.  Adkins, Stockley, Kirk, Aneke and Fraser were not cheap by league 1 standards at all.

You can question how he has spent it but he hasn't tried to do it all on the cheap.
    Most the signings made towards the start of the window have turned out to be good ish signings. It was the summer signings after the Wigan defeat which have been terrible. Arter, Leko etc (Lavelle being a obvious exception). It’s obvious what went wrong and hope the board and new manager won’t make that mistake again.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Who ever get the gig at Charlton, I hope they are luckier than Bows, Natkins, and JJ when it comes to injuries. 
    On the law of averages if we can sign fitter,  players to start with then the 'curse' may disappear because we used to get players that played every match.
    I say curse because Corey Gibbs played 100 games after leaving Cafc where he didn't play and Page has played 70 odd games in the last two seasons.

I don't blame the medical staff as different medical staff had the same thing happen. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    redbuttle said:

Don't think he's coming.

To be fair Thomas has spent on the expensive options.  Adkins, Stockley, Kirk, Aneke and Fraser were not cheap by league 1 standards at all.

You can question how he has spent it but he hasn't tried to do it all on the cheap.
    Most the signings made towards the start of the window have turned out to be good ish signings. It was the summer signings after the Wigan defeat which have been terrible. Arter, Leko etc (Lavelle being a obvious exception). It’s obvious what went wrong and hope the board and new manager won’t make that mistake again.
    It did take quite a radical change of system to get the best out of them.  Good players certainly.  The right players at the right time?  Still question marks for me.
  • Options
    Nsoapboxsam said:
    Who ever get the gig at Charlton, I hope they are luckier than Bows, Natkins, and JJ when it comes to injuries. 
    On the law of averages if we can sign fitter,  players to start with then the 'curse' may disappear because we used to get players that played every match.
    I say curse because Corey Gibbs played 100 games after leaving Cafc where he didn't play and Page has played 70 odd games in the last two seasons.

I don't blame the medical staff as different medical staff had the same thing happen. 
    I think Bowyers obsession with Bielsa’s murder-ball probably hurt a few players fitness!  It seems we went to far the other way under Nige and by the time JJ got on board the players didn’t have a fucking clue what was expected of them!

new gaffer,  all new ideas and methods needed
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    redbuttle said:

Don't think he's coming.

It did take quite a radical change of system to get the best out of them.  Good players certainly.  The right players at the right time?  Still question marks for me.
    IMO without two decent full backs on either side we were always going to struggle. Those are the key positions which needed recruitment in both windows and never happened. Surely anyone in football would have noticed and identified that. We got lucky with CBT towards the end. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Uboat said:
    Nice place, usually warmer than here and drier.  The University is very secluded but still only a short walk from the city centre, it even has a duck crossing.  
    Nice place for an away game visit too (unless a mid-week Winter fixture).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you think the CL pages record is going to be broken on this post??
       What are the odds?
  • Options
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

Or could it be it’s done but can’t be announced yet?

unless we just want to use it as another stick to beat TS with!!🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    john3 said:
    Do you think the CL pages record is going to be broken on this post??
       What are the odds?
    1000/1, unless it takes three years to appoint a manager. 
  • Options
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

Is this serious or sarcasm?
  • Options

or the candidate is on holiday as managers only get a very small window to go away 

Or an offer has been made and negotiations are on gong
  • Options

League two and championship season hasn't ended yet, same with some European leagues
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Uboat said:
    My daughter is at uni there..
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    redbuttle said:

Don't think he's coming.

IMO without two decent full backs on either side we were always going to struggle. Those are the key positions which needed recruitment in both windows and never happened. Surely anyone in football would have noticed and identified that. We got lucky with CBT towards the end. 
    That and the fact that the MF can’t go MIA without the ball or on turnover.  People keep saying we played 3-5-2 but in an attacking turnover we payed 3-1-2-3 plus wherever Matthews found himself standing at the time.  The gaps between the 3-1 and the rest you could drive a bus through
  • Options
    The person at bettingodds who wrote that piece
  • Options
    The vast majority of us are all too far removed from the process to comment on the sacking. He could have been considering this for months, or during the Ipswich game. This is arguably the most important decision TS will make for a while in relation to success on the pitch, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. He's the owner, he does it how he wants.

There's loads of things that could be impacting this - agents, commitments, holidays, other job offers. Unless he had an oven-ready replacement, it wasn't going to be done in a week. I share your desire for something to happen soon, but in reality, it's probably going take at least a month. We've got every right to be upset if he gets it wrong again and we don't hit the ground running, but TS has shared in the media that applicants are being reviewed.

I want it sorted as much as anyone, but it's naïve to think that it was going to be sorted within a week in normal circumstances.
  • Options

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The person at bettingodds who wrote that piece
    It's me who backed him first - I gave my reasons for why I think he should be considered earlier on in this thread and asked BetVic to put him in the market which they originally did at 16/1 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    cfgs said:
    Uboat said:
    So is mine. What is yours studying?  Mine is in year 1 of Neuro Science.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    cfgs said:
    Uboat said:
    I nearly went to uni there.