Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Clock is ticking, Euell and co must be putting pre season plans together, surely new manager will want to have a say. 
    If it’s Beale most likey be waiting at least another 2 weeks 
    Why? If we're paying his buy out clause it would be immediately.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The best job interviewee may not be the best manager. It is different in football. Achievements and failures are there to be seen already.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedRobin said:
    Clock is ticking, Euell and co must be putting pre season plans together, surely new manager will want to have a say. 
    Does he have a Buy Out clause?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedRobin said:
    Does he have a Buy Out clause?
    As per Cawley's report

The South London Press has been told that paying the compensation for Beale to leave Villa is not likely to be an issue for the US-based Dane.

I assume he means that we'd just be buying him out of his contract.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    Thomas has "about half a dozen" candidates that he is now narrowing down. 
    So we have a shortlist of 6 to pick from? I’d say he will narrow down to Taylor, Beale and one we’ve never heard about. 
  • Options
    Is it time to get Jacko back on a higher salary as interim cover while the search continues?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another factor is will TS be giving out more these performance based contracts? 

Not sure Beale would be happy to leave Villa if he gets very little compensation should we not make the play-offs. 

It’s one thing to require the new manager to change the entire playing philosophy, which usually takes years, it’s another thing to expect immediate results.   
  • Options
    I'd be happy with Carrick, Warburton, Beale or Taylor

Emma Hayes may well be the best candidate and someone somewhere will take a punt on her sooner rather than later - she's clearly very good at her job, but personally I think we are enough of a basket case club without the inevitable circus that will follow whichever professional men's team do appoint her. That and I don't particularly like her when I've heard her as a pundit etc. I'd rather appoint one of the other 4 mentioned and go quietly about our business assembling a team of free transfers to storm the league
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Does anyone realistically think Michael Carrick would come to League One?

His reputation and name is surely at that level where he gets a Championship job right out the gate (similar to Rooney, Lampard etc). 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not sure Beale would be happy to leave Villa if he gets very little compensation should we not make the play-offs. 

It’s one thing to require the new manager to change the entire playing philosophy, which usually takes years, it’s another thing to expect immediate results.   
    I think the contract Jackson got was because Thomas didn't want him in the first place and had already written off the season.  If we had just missed out on the play offs he probably thought it would be worth sticking with him.
    Potentially, but Thomas spoke a lot about how much it cost him to sack Nigel. I don’t think he wants to incur that sort of cost again.

I’d be shocked if he didn’t follow the same sort of pattern with his next appointment, albeit less harsh deliverables. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think the contract Jackson got was because Thomas didn't want him in the first place and had already written off the season.  If we had just missed out on the play offs he probably thought it would be worth sticking with him.
    100%
  • Options

You're right. We haven't even got to the contract wranglings yet.
     I fear another summer spent miles off the pace.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

His reputation and name is surely at that level where he gets a Championship job right out the gate (similar to Rooney, Lampard etc). 
    He’s been linked with some League One and Two clubs. Don’t really see what he’s done to be warrant a Championship job. Part of several Utd failures. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I do feel a bit like Watford rushed their appointment. Forest Green looked great for a lot of the season but they limped over the line at the end, only winning 4 of their last 17 games, losing 6 and drawing 7. They ended up only winning the title on goal difference (level with Matt Taylor's Exeter) and I feel like if the season had gone on a couple of weeks longer Bristol Rovers might have overtaken them. Some people are turning their noses up at Taylor signing for us as a League One manager but Watford have brought him in as a Championship manager with aims to be back in the Premier League after a year, a L2 manager with two thirds of an excellent season behind him. I hope he does well, I like him, but they've really not hung around on what is quite an ambitious appointment for him
    When he was announced my mate said it makes him statistically the person least likely to be Watford manager, in the world at Christmas.

Agree.
    I might need a recount but Rob Edwards will be the 17th manager in 10 years and that doesn't include Hayden Mullins twice as caretaker.
    Pozzo has had more managers than Katie Price has had lovers ? That last sentence may be incorrect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedRobin said:
    He might want to see out the season. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

why not, Rooney is a L1 manager (at the moment)
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    My villa supporting mate who goes on villa life or whatever their equivalent is that there's a few rumblings of beale maybe leaving, probably just reaction to the Cawley stuff but thought it was worth mentioning. 
    https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22448-michael-beale/page/7
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Chelsea's women team manager is a bigger job then ours 
    People can laugh all they want on here but it’s true. 
    How do you define bigger then?
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    It's lower profile, isn't it? Compare the gates at The Valley and attendances at ordinary Chelsea Women's matches.

Infrastructure I wouldn't know about, but ours isn't bad, and set to improve.

Pay? How do you know?

Her ambitions about the Women's Champions League and competing with Barcelona, are not comparable with playing in the men's the Champions League and competing with Barcelona.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of women's football, but I don't think it's yet reached the stage where Chelsea's women's team is a bigger deal than Charlton.
    Unfortunately, no one has told the BBC that, and they appear to truly believe that the woman's Premier League is second only to the mens.  I am amazed that people are proposing a female manager. An it’s not about sexism, it’s easy to see on the internet, that the USA World Cup winning side, play some college boys teams of under 17 age group. They have never won one of those games…. 

Would we be happy to see an under 17 Manager of any sex,  at any level, given the First Team coach role at Charlton… ? 
  • Options
    Regarding any timing with Beale. When Gerrard was appointed Villa were on a 5 game losing streaks and worried about relegation. Therefore you would assume that Gerrard, and possibly his coaching team are on a bonus for securing safety, which would presumably be paid once.the season is complete.

That being the case, there's no way Beale would be leaving before the season ends on 22nd May, and possibly not leaving before the end of the month.
  • Options
    Someone on there says “Go, and take Gerrard with you”

sounds like Stevie G isn’t the messiah after all

or Villa are just shit
  • Options
    Mark Bowen announced as "Head of Football Operations" at reading. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    LTKapal said:
    My villa supporting mate who goes on villa life or whatever their equivalent is that there's a few rumblings of beale maybe leaving, probably just reaction to the Cawley stuff but thought it was worth mentioning. 
    https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22448-michael-beale/page/7
    They're an entitled bunch aren't they.
    They live in Birmingham. The only thing they are entitled to is a piss taking...