Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3 5 2 or 4 3 3

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't see us having a proper formation until we seal that additional forward. I have stuck Kanu in the second striker point, but that just shows how much we need that extra man for up top. 
    Swap Egbo for Asiimwe... I dont think Egbo is in Holden's plans
    Do we actually think this? Holden’s going in to the season with his plan for Rb/rwb being an 18 year old who’s not played a senior competitive game and completely freezing out Egbo who I thought looked great when around last year ?
    Yep - why didn't he give Egbo more minutes in preseason, especially the final game? Idea of these games being to sharpen up before the first competitive game, not be saved for it!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't see us having a proper formation until we seal that additional forward. I have stuck Kanu in the second striker point, but that just shows how much we need that extra man for up top. 
    Do we actually think this? Holden’s going in to the season with his plan for Rb/rwb being an 18 year old who’s not played a senior competitive game and completely freezing out Egbo who I thought looked great when around last year ?
    Who says that is his plan? Could be working on bringing in several positions. 

I rated Egbo, not sure he's great. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yep - why didn't he give Egbo more minutes in preseason, especially the final game? Idea of these games being to sharpen up before the first competitive game, not be saved for it!
    If rumour is true, and we're looking at a new RWB, I suspect that person will be ahead of Asiimwe once they get their feet on the ground - Egbo I reckon will depart before the end of the month
  • Options
    4-5-1. Or 4-3-3 as the kids are calling it these days. 
  • Options
    Egbo has the same problem as Ness. Simply hasn’t been the same player since his injury.
  • Options
    There's a lot of assumptions that it will be a 352 with a 10, and Holden did try that last season, but that formation doesn't have to have one. Maybe not a comparison to inspire but Jackson's 352 didn't have a 10 as such, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried a few things, one being a double holding mid in Dobson and Taylor with Fraser able to roam knowing the cover is there behind him, as well as having just the one holding midfielder sitting with Fraser and Camara in front and both expected to drive on with the ball with them alternating between one sitting and one pushing. Doesn't need to have a more advanced central midfielder in front of the others, there's a lot of different shapes on offer. To be honest, with two strikers on the pitch I think the 10 can end up creating too much of a gap between the front and the back. Prefer deeper midfielders building up to ensure the WBs are brought into the game in the attacking phase
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    You're right. 

3-5-2 Attacking is more a 3-4-1-2 with the CAM playing advanced of the 4 others.
    3-5-2  can also be more of a 3-1-4-2 with a CDM playing just behind the 4 others.

Can also be played flat which is true 3-5-2. I have no idea what Holden's plan is.  I'd quite like to see us trying the more defensive option if we don't have a proper 10. (I don't think Payne is the right build for it)

• Options
    If there's one thing I have learned over the last few years it's that formations are not as important as systems, and should be adapted to deal with the opposition. Creating overloads (drink!) in the requisite areas relies on having adaptable formations to suit the systems and patterns of play. For some teams, 3-5-2 is a defensive formation to employ. For others, it's all out attack. It depends entirely on the overriding system and plan for each individual match. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    all true, shame i like the lad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we have only one formation we are screwed.
    Yep, Plymouth and Ipswich really struggled last season playing the same formation every single game