Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    What did Dobson see when he signed that pre-contract given that he would be losing the "security" of playing for our Club? One that has been for the duration of his three year contract, in the third tier of English football and a division he has been in for the whole of his eight year career with the delights of Stockport, Mansfield, Rotherham, Blackpool, Northampton, Wigan etc etc once again awaiting him? All for the potential of European football with its wide coverage, for the River Danube, for Lake Balaton, for magnificent architecture, for fascinating culture, for superb food, for its tokaji wine, for its hot springs, for its ancient spas? And that's all without being lauded by the Hungarians as as the Englishman that was happy to come over and embrace all the country has to offer? As opposed to staying with us, for a proportion of the fanbase that don't seem to rate good enough to wear the Charlton shirt anyway and for a Board that originally deemed not worth keeping? Or to go to yet another League 1 club because there is absolutely no guarantee that a Championship club would have come in for him.

But, when all is said and done, maybe, Dobson felt wanted and needed and was offered a contract to match that too? As opposed to us, who, on second thoughts, decided he wasn't quite so dispensable and who only then opted to up our offer for him to stay.   

I'm in agreement with this. Apart from the language being difficult for an English speaker to learn, I've found it a very pleasant country to visit, and I'm going back at the end of next week for several days. All the positive aspects AA mentions are true, especially re Budapest being lovely. If George has a desire to experience a different culture while earning a decent whack and playing a bit of European football, why would he renege on his agreement? He can come back to the UK after three years at most anyway, but why not benefit from the experience where I imagine his club will support him and his young family in adapting to their new home. If I were George I'd be relishing the opportunity.
  • Options
    Coventry saying in SLP all the players want George to stay.

Also, Cawley saying contract is binding and only way Charlton can get Dobson back is by buying him from his new club.

That's makes it sound like he's signed some sort of legal contract agreeing to a work contract somewhere else once his current employment contract expires. 

How strange.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Also, Cawley saying contract is binding and only way Charlton can get Dobson back is by buying him from his new club.
    I mean surely we already knew this though. The whole weird narrative/theory that first the contract wasn't "real" or didn't count and now the later version that there's some magic clause or trigger that means we can just buy it out was never anything except bizarre fan delusion.

I'm not for one minute saying I'm happy about it nor that replacing Dobson would/will be easy but the writing has been on the wall (and signature on the contract for months.)

Dobson has played well all the way through because he's a professional and a decent person. It's not about "sending a message" or changing his mind. He's just doing what a proper professional person does.
    I've said that I've personally moved on from the fact he's probably gone.

The point I have been trying to make though, is that most contracts are binding (otherwise whats the point), but can and do get bought out / canceled if situations change, all the time, in all walks of life and Jonesy seems to agree. It's not magic and doesn't even have to be a written in clause, you just say "how much is it to cancel this contract as I've changed my mind over the last 6 months" they evaluate their position and (maybe) think - this player doesn't seem happy with coming to us - and suggest a figure, or - okay, we're happy to stick you the reserves until you change your mind - The player / selling club then go away and think about it what they've been told

Not seen anyone say it wasn't real. Could be wrong though 

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I mean surely we already knew this though. The whole weird narrative/theory that first the contract wasn't "real" or didn't count and now the later version that there's some magic clause or trigger that means we can just buy it out was never anything except bizarre fan delusion.

I'm not for one minute saying I'm happy about it nor that replacing Dobson would/will be easy but the writing has been on the wall (and signature on the contract for months.)

Dobson has played well all the way through because he's a professional and a decent person. It's not about "sending a message" or changing his mind. He's just doing what a proper professional person does.
    I  feel tha same thing. Dobson after Charlton not let him go, played well, and add 100% at the pitch.
    He has a signed contract with us. If he changed his mind after Jones, the situation will be the same. Why is different he play for a team which not let him go, between the team which wanted him?
  • Options
    Let it go
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    https://www.nemzetisport.hu/labdarugo-nb-i/2024/04/anglia-mindent-megteszek-hogy-ne-menjen-fehervarra

That Hungarian news is a summary of the English news of the past few days, including Jones's statement.

There is a new part in it that he can only stay if he is bought out by Charlton, but Videoton does not want to sell him.
    You seem to always apply the logic that, because this contract has been ratified by UAFA / FIFA, it supercedes everything else known to mankind.

I'll go ahead and say there is 100% definitely a figure (transfer fee / cancellation charge - call it what you will) that will release Dobson from this contract, either already written in, or needs to be negotiated on, and it'll be up to Charlton to decide whether or not it's worth it to keep him.

Failing that, IF Dobson does go off / has gone off the idea of this move and the figure is too high for Charlton to agree on, Videoton will be stuck with half the player they signed 6 months ago and probably not even playing, and there's not a lot UAFA / FIFA can do about it, regardless what the contract says.
    I see your point, but this not how the things working. He has a signed contract. This also bindig for him. If he wanted to stay, Charlton must bought back from us.

If Charlton don't want to pay for him, He can choose he play for us, or want to broke his contract, but it takes time. And I think he don't want to sit the rest of his contract, or waiting for Videoton sell him. If we broke the contract for example after 31th of August he will be out of contract till the winter transfer window. 
  • Options
    That’s not strictly true; If he’s out of contract he can sign for anyone at any time.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    CAFC69 said:
    That’s not strictly true; If he’s out of contract he can sign for anyone at any time.
    If a player is released after the window closes they can sign for a new club but can’t play for them until after the next window opens.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    CAFC69 said:
    If a player is released after the window closes they can sign for a new club but can’t play for them until after the next window opens.
    Yes, this is true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry, didn’t realise that!
  • Options
    CAFC69 said:
    Only if he is released before the window closes. If he is released after the window closes he can sign for someone else but not able to play until the next window opens.
  • Options
    What’s the difference between a pre-contract and a contract?

I think George may of based his decision on Appleton continuing to be at the helm.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I think George may of based his decision on Appleton continuing to be at the helm.
    Or another useless mate of useless scott
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

In this case technically nothing difference.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

I don’t understand “technically there’s no difference” then why is it referred to as a pre-contract and not a contract? I have no idea really but just applying logic. Surely it means that the full terms and conditions are still to be agreed…and if not agreed then the pre-contract can be broken? 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

I don’t understand “technically there’s no difference” then why is it referred to as a pre-contract and not a contract? I have no idea really but just applying logic. Surely it means that the full terms and conditions are still to be agreed…and if not agreed then the pre-contract can be broken? 
    Pre contract, becuase it is starts when the current contract running out. 
    Technically there's no difference, because Charlton must pay for his registration after 1th of July, because it is binding.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Players are free to sign a contract with a domestic club in the last month of their contract, or a foreign club in the last 6 months of their contract.

The club signing them does not need any permission from the club currently holding their registration. 

They are absolutely binding, almost never have a cancellation clause and are 100% binding. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

I think this is a weird football thing that just confuses things, as in a lot of people’s minds it implies it’s something that has been agreed prior to signing a real contract, like some form of letter of intent. 

It isn’t, it’s a real contract that comes into force at the end of the players existing contract. That’s it, and contracts like that are signed every day in the real world, and I’ve never heard them called pre- contracts. It’s just a contract which is coming into force at a future date. 

Unless both parties have agreed a break clause, there’s no way out (for either side) without a negotiation, and that almost always means £££
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

No, that’s absolutely wrong, terms and conditions are agreed and signed 
  • Options
    edited April 23
    We don't know the full facts but it is telling for me that Appleton and indeed Holden were head coaches and Jones is a manager. This is not Scott's chosen model and the change in job title surely changes Scott's job. Also whilst Scott was part of the new broom, it isn't his money and this season has been a disapointment so I would imagine he has to basically support Jones now if he stays.

Whilst the move may have seemed attractive to Dobbo in January, the downer for him is we now have Jones. It is very interesting what Jones says about Dobbo as a player and he can see something that will likely make him a better player. Dobbo would probably want to be part of that as it potentially increases his earnings down the line if he has clicked with Jones, which I suspect he has.
  • Options
    Apparently what people say on social media is significant and gets passed around.
    If George doesn’t want to go maybe he could write a diatribe saying Victor Orban is a reactionary racist neo fascist piece of chite, and when he turns up to play in Hungary he will use every opportunity his fame allows to speak out against the Hungarian leader.
    Might work.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Apparently what people say on social media is significant and gets passed around.
    If George doesn’t want to go maybe he could write a diatribe saying Victor Orban is a reactionary racist neo fascist piece of chite, and when he turns up to play in Hungary he will use every opportunity his fame allows to speak out against the Hungarian leader.
    Might work.
    why would George Dobson want to pass on your views?

Another thread hijacked by Seth’s agenda!!
    Who says they’re my views? I was suggesting a possible creative get out.
  • Options
    If Dobson somehow does end up playing for Charlton next season it's because we signed him from Ferhevar. We didn't pay for a player we already had, we paid a fee to transfer his registration from their club to ours.

It says something about how ridiculous this club can be that this scenario is still vaguely plausible.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ
  • Options
    edited April 23
    https://fehervarfc.hu/en/news/george-dobson-will-play-for-fehervar-fc-from-next-season

George Dobson has signed a contract with our club from the 1st July 2024. Born on the 15th November 1997, the English midfielder learned the basics of football as a youngster at Arsenal and West Ham United, before playing for Walsall, Wimbledon, Dutch Premier League side Sparta Rotterdam and Sunderland before moving to Charlton Athletic, another big name club in London. At Charlton, he became a real crowd favourite and team captain for his passionate and good performances, having played 130 games in the last two and a half seasons, scoring 5 goals and providing 7 assists. After the 2021/2022 season, he was named the club's Player of the Year, finishing second in the voting after the 2022/2023 season.

Our club had agreed all terms with George Dobson's club in recent days for an immediate transfer in February, but the London club backed out of the deal at the last minute, and the midfielder will now be a player for our club from the 1st July.

"This time there was accurate information from our journalistic colleagues about this transfer, until Sunday it seemed that George Dobson could join us before the February 14th transfer window deadline. However, his current club backed out at the last minute, despite the parties having agreed all the terms in writing, with the midfielder set to move to our club and the organising of the usual medical examinations and paperwork. We regret that this has happened, we are waiting for George during the summer pre-season, and we believe that we have managed to strengthen our midfield with Dávid Sigér in such a way that we can look forward to the rest of the season with confidence" said Vidi's Managing Director Attila Balogh.