Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St George’s Day

2»

Comments

• Options

Happy Georges Day 
  • Options
    I can’t see Dobson in there 
  • Options
    Happy St George’s Day all!!  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
  • Options
    I feel in England we seem to make more of St. Patricks Day than we do of St. George - maybe we think we may upset some people.  I worked for an American Financial Institution which employed thousands in London of which probably half were English.   One St, Georges Day one of our analysts draped a flag of SG over his small conference table - within an hour HR Dept had it removed for fear of it causing offence.

• Options
    edited April 24
    I feel in England we seem to make more of St. Patricks Day than we do of St. George - maybe we think we may upset some people.  I worked for an American Financial Institution which employed thousands in London of which probably half were English.   One St, Georges Day one of our analysts draped a flag of SG over his small conference table - within an hour HR Dept had it removed for fear of it causing offence.

It hasn't been a big celebration in England since the 18th century. 
  • Options
    How did we even end up with St George? He never set foot in England. 
  • Options
    Maybe Saint George is a Roman Catholic fifth columnist.
    The Monarch is the head of the Church of England, which is Protestant, but as far as I know Protestants are against saints, viewed by some as a form or idolatry.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a ‘rally’ yesterday in central London.
    Saint George is also the Patron Saint of the Scouts, skin disease sufferers and syphilitic people.
  • Options
    We have family in Spain and friends in Portugal (all expats) and they make a big deal of it.
  • Options

• Options
    seth plum said:
    There was a ‘rally’ yesterday in central London.
    Saint George is also the Patron Saint of the Scouts, skin disease sufferers and syphilitic people.
    From what I saw around Waterloo yesterday, they all turned out for their Saints day.  Which is nice 😏
  • Options
    St Patrick's day might as well be called st Guinness day, the Irish rightly or wrongly dont give a monkeys about offending people. I used to get a bit self-righteous about people making an effort for 17th March but not knowing when St Georges day is. The usual suspects will passive aggressively look down their beaks at anyone choosing to celebrate the occasion and think they are clever by pointing out the unlikliehood of an imaginary turk/bedouin/palestinian killing a dragon, the usual muppets will worry about offending anyone who can be offended and ban the national flag as if they have a right to decide who is and isn't thick or thin.skinmed enough to ignore something they aren't interested in, a few people will drink too much and be used as baton practice by TSGs nationwide and prove that the met police do still crack heads when it suits. 

If there was a beer that most of the world related to England then revelry might be on the cards but until then its Stella Artois and singing two world wars and 1 world cup whilst making a brew before work 
  • Options
    on the St George's day protests, i find it a bit strange I'm 34 and have never really remembered the day being celebrated per say, apart from mates meeting up for pints etc. 

taking a day off work to go and cause trouble up town does seem v odd to me. but then i think that about most protestors tbh. 

hope all that celebrated enjoyed, i got a fish and chip supper and had a couple of pints of larkins traditional beer. 
  • Options
    Stuff about the English Flag.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-68848509